Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 05-01-2013, 03:00 PM   #161
Soloist1
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telenator View Post
Went in on an apparently large group buy on another forum asking more what the thing is really worth. Apparently also, I'm not the only one who felt the last minute price hike was bull.
Maybe from now on you'll pay closer attention to product pricing on something you're anticipating. Your accusation of "last minute price hike" is laughable to those of us that have been following the development of the product for over a year.

I'm sorry you cannot seem to afford the TP, maybe save up? You'll get there eventually!

Quote:
They better come up with a replacement parts list, offering the USB receiver for when the cheap plastic of it hits the floor, gets knocked out of the computer and breaks into several pieces.
It's obvious you don't own one, since you have no clue about the "cheap plastic" these things are made of. Mine is quite nice and have had no problems so far.

Of course I guess if you are such a klutz that you are bumping into your computer and knocking things onto the floor breaking them you might be better off not owning anything you cannot afford to replace. Heck, you shouldn't even own an instrument if you have all the problems you describe.

Quote:
So, let's review: guy writes into thread, states the sudden new pricing is ridiculous. Bunch of chaps who spend all their time hanging around the forum 24/7 have a cow over the guy's opinion
Your opinion that anything was "last minute" is just that, an opinion not based in fact.

Here's a fact for you, the price increase was set back in January after NAMM when the final version of the hardware, software, and packaging were completed. The product was not released until April. Your "last minute" claim is a joke!
Soloist1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:38 PM   #162
karbomusic

@Soloist1

Does TP as VST see your controller from within Reaper? Mine does not, even when I place TP in hardware mode. There are some settings I think I would like to manipulate from within Reaper and can't seem to since it doesn't see the controller from within Reaper.

Edit:

Bummer, a fresh portable install works so there is something hosed in my main config.

Last edited by karbomusic; 05-01-2013 at 04:49 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #163
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
@Soloist1

Does TP as VST see your controller from within Reaper? Mine does not, even when I place TP in hardware mode. There are some settings I think I would like to manipulate from within Reaper and can't seem to since it doesn't see the controller from within Reaper.

Edit:

Bummer, a fresh portable install works so there is something hosed in my main config.
do you have TRiple play midi in 2 enabled? Try disabling it first.
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #164
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
do you have TRiple play midi in 2 enabled? Try disabling it first.
Thanks man but nope, just checked that (which from what I hear is only needed by the software in standalone mode). It's something in reaper-midihw.ini. I went back to my custom config, then manually replaced reaper-midihw.ini with its default and bam it works. I'll Windiff the two files later to see why but I've carried that file around for 4 years now across multiple reaper installs on different machines. No telling what trash I could have accumulated over time.

Happy its working now, yay.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:38 AM   #165
duffman

Thanks JBM for the link to this thread.

As stated mines on its way, should be here tomorrow. Yes $399 and 24 months interest free at Sweetwater.

I intend to try it on one of my acoustics first. Bought a set of GHS White Bronze. According to Fishman, people are having some success with these strings....

Duff
duffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:58 AM   #166
duffman

Yep, had a hard time putting the guitar down once I got it installed and working.

Few problems on installation:

1)The Tune-O-matic bridge mount plate raised the action on my late 80's Ibanez AS80. The end pin plates would not reach the pin. The carved/curved top of the guitar gave me no flat surface to mount the controller directly to the top.

2) Hard tail Strat, the pickup wouldn't fit under the strings at all. Would have had to raise the action to an unacceptable level.

3) No way am I going to put tape on or modify in anyway any of my Les P's.

Mounted everything on my Alvarez Dove, acoustic, I have had since I was...well I have owned it for 37 years. Even with Elixir Nano Web 12-52 the thing worked great.

Thoughts: Showed up in Reaper as Midi in, worked like a charm. The radius of the pickup is set. Would have been better if you could have moved individual poles to match that of your bridge. Low battery = errant notes. Resting hand on bridge is a no no.

Although it works well with phosphorus bronze strings, non-ferrous, I will be trying the GHS White Bronze as suggested by Fishman.

Is this worth $399? If the notation software works like I hope then the combo of that & the hardware will be well worth it.

Duff
duffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:15 AM   #167
karbomusic

Quote:
Hard tail Strat, the pickup wouldn't fit under the strings at all. Would have had to raise the action to an unacceptable level.
How low is it, that sounds insane. I had to use one of the spacers to get it high enough but then again I kind of hate low action.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #168
hopi

how 'tall' is the pickup exactly? In other words, how much space is needed under the strings to mount it?
Old 07-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #169
bear

Hmm I can't seem to find my calipers, but eyeballed using a steel ruler...

I have it mounted on the very thinnest spacer - the unit is arched so the middle is taller than the ends

I measure height at about .325 inch at the middle and .275 at the ends

Again, this is mounted on the thinnest spacer supplied - I suppose you could tape it down with no mounting spacer, but that would not allow you to easily remove it like the slip in mounting bracket does.

I would say the thinnest spacer adds about .050 inch

Last edited by bear; 07-10-2013 at 09:20 AM. Reason: spelling
bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #170
viper-2

Does anyone here have working knowledge of both Jamorigin Midi guitar VST and the Fishman unit. I just got the JO Midi guitar vst and I am liking it a lot. Is this an improvement as far as tracking, etc...?
viper-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #171
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper-2 View Post
Does anyone here have working knowledge of both Jamorigin Midi guitar VST and the Fishman unit. I just got the JO Midi guitar vst and I am liking it a lot. Is this an improvement as far as tracking, etc...?
most definitely.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #172
viper-2

Quote:
most definitely.
Can you elaborate?
viper-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:11 PM   #173
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Can you elaborate?
It is an improvement as far as tracking.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #174
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
Hmm I can't seem to find my calipers, but eyeballed using a steel ruler...

I have it mounted on the very thinnest spacer - the unit is arched so the middle is taller than the ends

I measure height at about .325 inch at the middle and .275 at the ends

Again, this is mounted on the thinnest spacer supplied - I suppose you could tape it down with no mounting spacer, but that would not allow you to easily remove it like the slip in mounting bracket does.

I would say the thinnest spacer adds about .050 inch
thanks for that info... plenty of room IMO
Old 08-26-2013, 05:13 AM   #175
shredingskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soloist1 View Post
Maybe from now on you'll pay closer attention to product pricing on something you're anticipating. Your accusation of "last minute price hike" is laughable to those of us that have been following the development of the product for over a year.
I recently bought TP, after I thought that I wouldn't and that JO was a pretty good deal. I'm happy I did it.

But some of you guys are going too harsh on Telenator for his opinion, the price up of 100 dls for some software is the way they wanted to handle their economic approach, nothing else. They know midi guitars are a niche market since the 80s and know that roland is pretty much an active monopoly in this realm (and far more expensive than TP).

They choose the route of make a product more expensive, and they have all the right to do so, even if they think they can widen the market for a more massive approach (most know that this will not happen). They are just trying to make the most of a good product, there's not really that much to it. The guy is being a little too overboard, but it's his opinion.

Now about the TP, I think it's freaking great, it tracks fucking well, it's a very approchable piece of hardware and was handled pretty good IMO.

The installation is a little homemade, but it's easy enough, sturdy enough and portable enough to make it a good choice IMO. The only problem I had is that I couldn't put the hex in my regular guitar (a cheap charvel strato, but that is very close to me) because the strings were too low, and the pins for making them higher were all rusted

It's great that even in hardware mode you can use the configurations from the editor updating the firmware, that's something I didn't expected and is a great plus that makes me feel the guys put some thinking into it.

The software is flimsy, but I will use it in hardware mode, so it's not a problem for me, but for many others that were used to roland stuff are not convinced that it's really suited for live playing.

The USB dongle it's meh, not really top quality, but not that bad either (certainly no one was specting something made of titanium), but (like most big usb stuff) seems to be "hanging" from the computer more than being attached.

Quote:
It works better, my guitars aren't in good shape so the sound is not as good and as "clean" as it should be. The TP tracks faster, doesn't trigger ghost notes as the JO, doesn't have problems with harmonics, tracks really well chords (any kind, not only the "harmonically good"), the PB is better and pretty much everything is a little bit better or a lot more better. It uses magnetic vibrations, not audio, so even when shredding triggers great.

I have a question that maybe someone here can answer.

I use the TP in hardware mode, but I don't seem to get pitchbend data on any channel, I looked into the manual but it doesn't say much (or at least I didn't read it well). Someone knows why is this ?
shredingskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:23 PM   #176
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredingskin View Post
I have a question that maybe someone here can answer.

I use the TP in hardware mode, but I don't seem to get pitchbend data on any channel, I looked into the manual but it doesn't say much (or at least I didn't read it well). Someone knows why is this ?
There is a trick such as button up then left or similar as part of or in addition to the process of placing in hardware mode. Its undocumented but I have found it through trial and error. if you check out vguitar forums or whatever it is called there is a thread there somewhere where the developer of TP and others explain this. I could tell you better but I haven't set it lately and sort of forgot the exact procedure.

IIRC they are refining the firmware and hardware documentation so there are quite a few features that can be used via hardware that are still undocumented. Additionally, I hear you might get weird or unexpected behavior on some button combination choices.

You can also run the TP software as a VST inside of reaper. I haven't found much use for it other than an easy way to enable pitch bend but I did figure out how to load it as a VST if needed; it then receives midi from reaper which the TP vst passes through to the VSTs it is hosting.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:02 PM   #177
shredingskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
There is a trick such as button up then left or similar as part of or in addition to the process of placing in hardware mode. Its undocumented but I have found it through trial and error. if you check out vguitar forums or whatever it is called there is a thread there somewhere where the developer of TP and others explain this. I could tell you better but I haven't set it lately and sort of forgot the exact procedure.
Yup, I got it, in the standalone soft you can load "hardware synth" then tweak it as you want, save it, put it in your user patches, put it in the first place and load it (you can have up to 200 patches loaded in hardware mode and scroll them with the UP DOWN buttons).

The thing is that for my style of playing I prefer trigger mode, because in any other bend option, legato is not recognized and it interpreted as a pitchbend.

Anyone else have this problem or how do you configure it ?
Old 08-26-2013, 05:24 PM   #178
karbomusic

Quote:
Yup, I got it, in the standalone soft you can load "hardware synth" then tweak it as you want, save it, put it in your user patches, put it in the first place and load it (you can have up to 200 patches loaded in hardware mode and scroll them with the UP DOWN buttons).

The thing is that for my style of playing I prefer trigger mode, because in any other bend option, legato is not recognized and it interpreted as a pitchbend.

Anyone else have this problem or how do you configure it ?
I apologize for not remembering the ins and outs but I swear I think you can do everything in hardware mode you are asking for without touching the TP software via undocumented button combinations. AKA by not using TP and using hardware mode to send MIDI directly to Reaper. Could be wrong though.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:26 PM   #179
shredingskin

You only need to touch it "once" to make it work how you like, from there, the presets are saved to the firmware of the TP.

Do you have problems with fast legatos in some of the pitchbending options ?

How do you have it configured ?
Old 08-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #180
karbomusic

Quote:
You only need to touch it "once" to make it work how you like, from there, the presets are saved to the firmware of the TP.

Do you have problems with fast legatos in some of the pitchbending options ?

How do you have it configured ?
I have to go back and check but like I said, what I'm speaking of has nothing to do with saving TP presets in the firmware and is only relegated to changing settings in the hardware itself. I found this by having some issue that I didn't understand, then I started playing with different button combinations while powering up followed by another combination after that.

One of those does a factory reset, one sets the mode you are thinking of but there were others that did other things. Let me see if I can find a thread that touches on it because the developer mentioned upcoming documentation that wasn't ready yet.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:55 PM   #181
karbomusic

The thread discussing the undocumented buggy hopefully soon to be documented stuff which I didn't recall quite as accurately as I wished:
http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/ind...62931#msg62931

I also know some functionality changed between firmware revisions. And anything you can find by Andras Szalay should be good since I think this is the guy who developed it.

With pitch bend enabled and fast legato etc... I somewhat bailed on pitch bend in general because it felt a little out of control when I wasn't bending. Didn't seem up to snuff but I consider it the nature of the beast. I know that the biggest success I had was manually setting the hardware to use pb mode, then tweaking the pb range in the synth I used in reaper. That was the only way to get close to 1/2 step on the guitar to be 1/2 step on the instrument. But yea, pb worked but I stopped using it for normal use. AKA I don't have pb enabled but if I need it, I'll enable it just long enough for that particular passage.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:11 PM   #182
shredingskin

Auto mode works pretty good for me in hardware mode (I have 4 presets loaded with different pb options), but still legato are not triggered as different notes but as pitchbend data (that does not correlate at all with the notes xD), trigger mode works like a charm.

The manual has been updated to incorporate hardware stuff, and it says the things I did.

Just wondering if it's just me the problem of legato, a config problem or a "normal" behaviour.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:50 PM   #183
karbomusic

Quote:
Auto mode works pretty good for me in hardware mode (I have 4 presets loaded with different pb options), but still legato are not triggered as different notes but as pitchbend data (that does not correlate at all with the notes xD), trigger mode works like a charm.

The manual has been updated to incorporate hardware stuff, and it says the things I did.

Just wondering if it's just me the problem of legato, a config problem or a "normal" behaviour.
I'd have to test the legato as I just don't remember. But I quit using pb so it would be a special trip to find out; its possible legato is also a reason I stopped using it (forgive, its been since May or so since I used pb). I did notice earlier they updated the manual but I'll bet there is more hidden stuff there. Not that I think any of it is a game changer, just noting they released it while other stuff was still in the oven.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:13 PM   #184
Jae.Thomas

is there a way to set the pb setting permanently? I seem to hve to keep shutting it off.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:17 AM   #185
shredingskin

What do you mean ??

I used the method that I described for hardware mode and it behaves at expected.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:08 AM   #186
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
What do you mean ??

I used the method that I described for hardware mode and it behaves at expected.
how do you make it so it always stays on "trigger" or "auto"
Old 08-27-2013, 07:14 AM   #187
shredingskin

Quote:
how do you make it so it always stays on "trigger" or "auto"
Quote:
in the standalone soft you can load "hardware synth" then tweak it as you want, save it, put it in your user patches, put it in the first place and load it (you can have up to 200 patches loaded in hardware mode and scroll them with the UP DOWN buttons).
That is what I did, then just boot hardware mode, you automatically load the first patch you have (you go to patches and in user patches you select them in the order you want, then click "load to controller"). Then you can scroll your patches with the up and down keys.

Don't you have problems of recognizing legato passages when pb mode is on ?
Old 08-27-2013, 07:18 AM   #188
Jae.Thomas

I want it completely off, actually. It doesn't quite work for me.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:31 AM   #189
karbomusic

Quote:
I thought that was the default as I have to go out of my way to enable PB. Otherwise, I'd assume the opposite of the above. Save a patch in the first slot that has it disabled and load that as a controller to the hardware.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:48 AM   #190
shredingskin

Quote:
So you don't even want "trigger" behaviour ??

If you click "enter" key when using the software you can put PB range to 0, but it will still act as trigger :S

In that menu there's an option that says Tune Base, anyone does know what this is ?? There's nothing in the manual, and changing it apparently doesn't changes anything :S

You can also just put trigger like Karbo told.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:04 AM   #191
shredingskin

Turned out that legato is always set to PB in auto or smooth.

Too bad, I use a lot of fast legato passages and doesn't sound "good" (sounds like a short range whammy), trigger mode sounds really great with legato and tracks awesomely but you lose the ability to do bends and vibrato.

The legato set to PB is also sounds kinda wonky when you do tapping. Or for example doing fast triads sound really shit (most of the time you do hammer and pull on a string and play another string that will also be pitchbend because you play when almost instantly).

A little problem, specially for what I like.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:06 AM   #192
Hellpig

Hi,

Just got my Godin Session Custom Fishman Triple Play, works great in standalone mode but... when running through Reaper I get an awful latency. Around 0.3 - 0.5 seconds. Tried both with the Fishman app as VST and without it - still the same latency.

from reading this thread it seems some of you guys have run it without any problems like that... Could you tell me what hardware you're running? Over at the Vguitar forum I was told that my computer might be the problem. Or as they put it: "Latency will be a battle with an Intel Core 2 Duo based Windows rig." Might add Windows 7.

Could that be the problem? I'm open for getting a new system, just curious if I should go for config hunting or to buy a new computer.
Hellpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:08 PM   #193
carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellpig View Post
Could that be the problem? I'm open for getting a new system, just curious if I should go for config hunting or to buy a new computer.
What audio interface do you have? You need one with ASIO drivers to get low latency. If you have integrated audio, then your best bet is to use ASIO4all drivers.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:29 PM   #194
Jae.Thomas

the core2duo is not the problem
Old 07-23-2014, 07:56 PM   #195
Lokasenna

Digging up an old thread, I know, but it seemed like the best place to ask:

Any thoughts as to why the Tripleplay plugin won't make any sound? The standalone app works fine, using it as a basic MIDI controller in Reaper works fine, and the plugin registers my playing... but won't make any sound. I know it's not the synth, since I can click Kontakt's keyboard and it works - Tripleplay doesn't seem to be passing my playing to the synth. I don't have any splits or anything going, nothing's muted.... so confused.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:24 PM   #196
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
Digging up an old thread, I know, but it seemed like the best place to ask:

Any thoughts as to why the Tripleplay plugin won't make any sound? The standalone app works fine, using it as a basic MIDI controller in Reaper works fine, and the plugin registers my playing... but won't make any sound. I know it's not the synth, since I can click Kontakt's keyboard and it works - Tripleplay doesn't seem to be passing my playing to the synth. I don't have any splits or anything going, nothing's muted.... so confused.
I forget and would have to check when I can. Did you change to or from hardware mode? I forget the name or how to do it but I know I have a post or thread around here explaining A) How to do what you want to do and B) any advantages. I don't remember the advantages being huge though.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:32 PM   #197
karbomusic

I think the only advantage I found from using TP as a VST was pitch bend and having multiple VST inside triple play but I didn't keep using it because I couldn't find enough reasons to and just trigger VSTs directly instead.

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...&postcount=157

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...&postcount=176

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...=1#post1381464
Old 07-24-2014, 04:11 AM   #198
Lokasenna

Yeah, I'm thinking that might be the best approach. I can't see myself needing to get any more complicated with splitting than one-string-per-channel, and I've got enough MIDI filtering plugins to make that pretty simple anyway if I want to.