Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 03-31-2020, 11:54 AM   #641
Valle
Human being with feelings

I like the v6 Theme. It’s the nicest default theme so far. Even better than the previous ones of which a few pixels were put there by me

Aaaanyway:

What I like: It’s so customizable I could practically turn it to whatever theme I wanted or needed.

What I don’t like: Not having nearly as much time as I used to to fool around whit designing my own theme. Because, not only was it easy to get started, it was also fun.

But that doesn’t matter. I don't need another theme. The v6 theme is easy on the eyes, it’s flat, simplistic and modern. Good ol' White Tie did a splendid job. Like I knew he would.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:41 PM   #642
lucas_LCS

I like the default 6 theme.
I think White Tie did a lot of excellent work with it.
At first I thought it was going to be difficult to modify it to better suit my tastes, but it turned out to be 'super easy, barely an inconvenience', as the saying goes.

::
Old 04-05-2020, 07:19 PM   #643
Randolph

I just don't know why version 6 of reaper was released without a usable theme.
Only three layouts are possible.
Overall the partial theme aka ver 6 theme is a joke.

I have removed it as well as it's script from my installation.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:42 AM   #644
Randolph

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowellben View Post
I absolutely LOVED his earlier work that Imperial was legendary! But the default 6 theme is very weak by comparison. I wished for more. I love Reaper!!

Yup
The really sad thing is WT thinks it is a piece great work.
Old 04-06-2020, 05:29 AM   #645
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randolph View Post
That is true. But also, this thread already has over 25,000 views and look at how long ago Reaper 6 launched official? Facts are stubborn things. Just tick another box.
Old 04-06-2020, 06:25 AM   #646
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randolph View Post
Nah. The truly sad thing is that you took the time to post this.
Kenny Gioia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 06:27 AM   #647
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowellben View Post
That is true. But also, this thread already has over 25,000 views and look at how long ago Reaper 6 launched official? Facts are stubborn things. Just tick another box.
Not that this is going to get us anywhere but I am curious how you read these two posts that were just above yours an conclude that your opinion is a fact?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valle View Post
I like the v6 Theme. It’s the nicest default theme so far. Even better than the previous ones of which a few pixels were put there by me
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas_LCS View Post
I like the default 6 theme.
I think White Tie did a lot of excellent work with it.
At first I thought it was going to be difficult to modify it to better suit my tastes, but it turned out to be 'super easy, barely an inconvenience', as the saying goes.
Kenny Gioia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 06:48 AM   #648
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Not that this is going to get us anywhere but I am curious how you read these two posts that were just above yours an conclude that your opinion is a fact?
No. It won't.
Old 12-30-2020, 01:41 AM   #649
audiocan

My biggest issue with this new theme is the mouse cursor that blends in to the background to the point of almost becoming invinsible while hovering over the media explorer waveform display. Can't find a way of changing it.
audiocan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 03:15 AM   #650
cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiocan View Post
My biggest issue with this new theme is the mouse cursor that blends in to the background to the point of almost becoming invinsible while hovering over the media explorer waveform display. Can't find a way of changing it.

The background color of Media Explorer can be changed. I made it blue, so the cursor is clearly visible. For this you need to open Actions -> "Theme development: Show theme tweak/configuration window" action.

Then, find there "Media Item Background (Odd Tracks)" and change the gray color to any other color so that the cursor is visible.
The next time you click on the sample in the browser, you will see the changes. Remember to save your changes.

Unfortunately, changing the color of this item affects several other elements. For example, the background of the waveform in the export window will also be colored.
cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 02:09 PM   #651
Sarasota_FOH

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsmellow View Post
By the way, as posted on Gearslutz in the Reaper 6 thread....

Recently I came across this amazing looking "Nova" theme on YouTube. Unfortunately the link to the stash is broken (error message "The requested file does not exist.").

Does anyone know whether we can download it from somewhere and if it's still updated now and then by the theme-developer? There is an email address below the video though, so maybe I will reach out to the person and ask.

PS. watch the video in full screen mode, you'll love the mixer view :-)

https://youtu.be/oGqm8Lx4hSo?t=63

That theme is called Soundstudio and the link for it is here(I just downloaded it and verified it works).

https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/2596/S...ReaperThemeZip
Sarasota_FOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 07:35 PM   #652
SubbaseDnB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarasota_FOH View Post
That theme is called Soundstudio and the link for it is here(I just downloaded it and verified it works).

this is actually a nice theme,but as its a old theme,in order to use it /make it work/fit in Reaper 6,some work are required unfortunatly
SubbaseDnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 07:50 PM   #653
Sarasota_FOH

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubbaseDnB View Post
this is actually a nice theme,but as its a old theme,in order to use it /make it work/fit in Reaper 6,some work are required unfortunatly
Yea, I was checking it out today and it does need some work, but it's pretty decent.
Sarasota_FOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 01:47 AM   #654
audiocan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool View Post
The background color of Media Explorer can be changed. I made it blue, so the cursor is clearly visible. For this you need to open Actions -> "Theme development: Show theme tweak/configuration window" action.

Then, find there "Media Item Background (Odd Tracks)" and change the gray color to any other color so that the cursor is visible.
The next time you click on the sample in the browser, you will see the changes. Remember to save your changes.

Unfortunately, changing the color of this item affects several other elements. For example, the background of the waveform in the export window will also be colored.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. Unfortunately the drawback of changing that element's color is even worse for me, because it changes the color of all media items on odd tracks in arrange window, which is not something I want.

I wish I could either change the media item background only in Media Explorer, or simply change the cursor.

EDIT: Seems like it's using the default system 'text select' cursor, which can be changed from system settings. Still, it would be great to have the media explorer waveform display background color editable individually.

Last edited by audiocan; 12-31-2020 at 01:59 AM.
audiocan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 09:33 AM   #655
gxray

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiocan View Post
I wish I could either change the media item background only in Media Explorer, or simply change the cursor.

Still, it would be great to have the media explorer waveform display background color editable individually.
I raised this issue in feature request thread just a week ago, if you comment maybe it could help =)

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=247118

Quote:
Originally Posted by gxray View Post

Proposed Solution:

- Add a separate theme configuration option for the Media Explorer background and MIDI note (Media Item Peaks) colors, while maintaining backwards compatibility. This value is optional, but takes precedence if set (defaulting to current behavior).
gxray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 02:49 PM   #656
SubbaseDnB

Quote:
Yea, I was checking it out today and it does need some work, but it's pretty decent.

i dont know any theming,but would be cool if someone could make this work in Reaper 6
SubbaseDnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 05:21 AM   #657
Stimulus

The main thing for me is the look of the arranger itself. The clips look awful and the midi editor does too. Not sure I like the faders on the mixer a lot either and the icons above the TCP could be better. Everything else is ok to good. Oh and the midi editor is bad.

I think in the next whole version, version 7 they want to really go all out and have an absolutely incredible theme with a really snazzy media browser and vst window too. It would really attract customers imo as the features are there (just 15 missing for me but 90% of what I was looking for has been there) so the daw is fantastic.

Last edited by Stimulus; 01-01-2021 at 07:49 AM.
Stimulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 09:45 AM   #658
camerondye

I love the look of the SoundStudio them, if anybody starts working on it post a link here.
camerondye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 02:59 PM   #659
KenB

I can work with the default theme ... but I'm sooo tired of greyish fonts on grey backgrounds ... hazy grey colors and other dull looking colors that give the impression of having been created with a grey wash.

My second gripe is the FX wrapper (and all Windows style wrappers) in the Windows version ... I spend more damn time getting my FX GUI free of that monstrous thing than I care to admit. I'd like the Windows Reaper GUI to look as clean as the Apple GUI.

KenB
Old 01-06-2021, 11:45 PM   #660
lerian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB View Post
I can work with the default theme ... but I'm sooo tired of greyish fonts on grey backgrounds ... hazy grey colors and other dull looking colors that give the impression of having been created with a grey wash.

My second gripe is the FX wrapper (and all Windows style wrappers) in the Windows version ... I spend more damn time getting my FX GUI free of that monstrous thing than I care to admit. I'd like the Windows Reaper GUI to look as clean as the Apple GUI.

KenB
Heh, apple has to pass many UX/Usability tests before shipping any product. I suggest you check out ClearView theme (which i had to make myself so i can use reaper) if you want better contrast and same architecture as the default 6 theme, with improved knobs, meters, and many more.

https://i.imgur.com/xYBLtLT.png
lerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:55 PM   #661
lerian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB View Post

KenB
Heh, apple has to pass many UX/Usability tests before shipping any product. I suggest you check out ClearView theme (which i had to make myself so i can use reaper) if you want better contrast and same architecture as the default 6 theme, with improved knobs, meters, and many more.

https://i.imgur.com/xYBLtLT.png
lerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 01:53 PM   #662
KenB

Well ... frankly ... I have one foot out the door ... because in terms of the UI and how I prefer to work ... Bitwig is ticking all the boxes.

KenB
Old 01-11-2021, 10:46 AM   #663
EdoKey

I'm a pretty new Reaper user, started using it in August 2020. I like the Reaper 6 theme, because it looks very simple and very functional.
When i want extra buttons, i can just add them. Other Daws seem to have too many buttons on the screen by default, they look like a Boeing 747 cockpit.
Only thing, i got confused with and would like to change is the record and arm button. I can't tell, if they are switched on or not, because the color contrast between on and off is not strong enough for me.
EdoKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 12:22 PM   #664
kovarny

I don't like the lack of an outline between the buttons in the toolbar. I use 10 toolbars and it annoys me
kovarny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:41 PM   #665
flowheimer

There seems to be some confusion in the Theme Adjuster page titles.

Last edited by flowheimer; 01-13-2021 at 08:46 PM.
flowheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:09 PM   #666
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowheimer View Post
There seems to be some confusion in the Theme Adjuster page titles.
That's an issue with the Smooth_6_theme_adjuster.lua script, not Default_6.0 theme. Mentioned in Smooth 6 theme topic here.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:07 PM   #667
storyteller

Is there a way to modify this main theme to make the track name/text field infinitely wide when extended horizontally in TCP and then have a mute, solo, record, perhaps a small vertical meter, and the track folder icon on the far right to all be on the most condensed 1 row version of the theme?

I've combed through the documentation, tried countless times to modify the theme, but can't seem to get this very basic mod to take. I think that would make it incredibly useable for me. I really like it other than the tiny text box and clutter on the condensed row.

... and i suppose also having the fx, IO, envelope icons, and channel/input selection to show up all the time on an extended 2nd row beneath the track if made taller, but hidden when track is condensed. This is what I've been trying to do at least... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Jonathan
storyteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 06:14 AM   #668
Lucik530

Default problem separator track

Hello guys) I have macOS. There is a Default 6 theme for REAPER with separator. For some reason I have such a problem, see gif https://gifyu.com/image/UnZz . How to solve it? Help me please.)
Lucik530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 06:59 AM   #669
coolbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucik530 View Post
Hello guys) I have macOS. There is a Default 6 theme for REAPER with separator. For some reason I have such a problem, see gif https://gifyu.com/image/UnZz . How to solve it? Help me please.)
Same thing here...
coolbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 04:03 AM   #670
Zargon the Destroyer

Quote:

That theme is a great example IMO of the problem with discussing good/bad themes. It looks really cool/snazzy, but the buttons would be a nightmare in terms of visibility to me.

The standard theme is OK I think; looks good on first sight, but isn't very clear for my eyesight, so I don't use it. For others it will be perfect.

There are a million different eyes and uses and room light levels and ways of working etc; how can a single GUI be suited to everybody?
Zargon the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 12:54 PM   #671
Koka

"Default Analog 1.8" Color Palette..
https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/963/De...0Analog%20v1.8

Very good looking colours; i like imperial dark skin too.

just saw FL skin on forum and i have almost got a heart attack, remembered times when i was using that MIND PRISON software. (not mentioning the features...)
Koka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 04:10 PM   #672
Tyrannocaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
Kenny gets paid per-audible-pause.
Ha,thank you. I think he is the child of Woody Allen and Harold Pinter. :-) And I say that as someone who really appreciates his videos.
Tyrannocaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 04:20 PM   #673
Tyrannocaster

Default Green...urp

I've been using Reaper since 2011. I just upgraded to 6 and I like some of the features (the routing visible on the track, for instance, and the ability to use it to set a negative delay for slow synth pads) but honestly, I am really, really turned off by the green. The green in earlier themes didn't bug me; it's not that I dislike green. But I'm searching for a way to use the default and have it not peeve me every time I see it. I found a couple of themes that I really like, but none of them include that routing indicator in the track; I guess they must have been made earlier.

I'm trying to find icons that don't have the ghastly green, but so far Reaper won't recognize any icons I put in the toolbar folder; that's an issue for another thread, which I have already started in the themes and icons forum.

I just don't like the way the updated UI looks. Anybody who says the appearance doesn't matter is joking, AFAIC. So far, I like the way 6 works, which is entirely different.
Tyrannocaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 12:18 AM   #674
hardplay

Since 2008 i've never changed , to this day i'm still using the Classic 1x , i've tried them all but the classic 1 x for me is the easiest on the eye and can't stand dark themes.

btw having checked V6 when it came out, the worst so far, the vu meters are just green, no red or orange.
Old 04-28-2021, 05:39 AM   #675
CDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
IMHO the theme is a complete failure, but nevermind that. There is not enough contrast (and again some things jump out at you too much with the rest of the theme being dark), the mix of faux 3D with flat is as appalling as it was in R5 theme, the I/O button makes no sense at all and is too hard to parse at a glance, everything EricTbone said, the green background on various dialogs is offputting, especially in MIDI editor... The list goes on. It looks messy and unprofessional, overall. Probably the worst thing WT ever did, sorry WT but take it like a man.
I agree with this post 100%

CDS
Old 07-23-2021, 01:38 AM   #676
Shufflehound

It's really hard to balance too much contrast vs. too little. You see it in Windows 10 and modern Linux distros, where right next to each other are black bars and bright windows which is hard on the eyes. So to avoid that we now have this "everything really dark" or "everything really bright" thing going on. That doesn't solve the problem at all; now you're straining to read text or getting your eyes blasted.

That is the reason I'm sticking to Default 5, but I'm not entirely happy about that either (some contrast issues, but not where it really matters hence why I'm sticking to it).

Too lazy to do it myself, but I'd like to see a theme inspired by the ValhallaDSP plugins. Of course a DAW GUI has much more going on so I wouldn't know exactly how that could be done without it looking "bitty" or structureless, where it's just a block of colour with little buttons scattered randomly like mushrooms. It's a very sensitive art.

The pseudo, non-representational 3D look like b0se's Smooth is also nice and can be easy on the eyes. It's a nice way to imply borders and structure without ugly drop-shadows or gloss.
Shufflehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 08:49 AM   #677
Rednroll

The biggest thing I dislike about the v6 theme is that there are no TCP vertical pan slider options and that goes for the v5 theme as well. Knobs are more difficult to adjust when using a mouse in a DAW and having a larger slider pan type makes it visually easier for me to glance at the TCPs and see what I have panned where. Little dashes on top of a round knob just doesn't cut it for me. The round volume and pan knobs only make sense to me for when you have a TCP set in condensed mode since they take up less space.

I see a lot of current themes using only round pan knobs, it really makes me wonder if folks actually prefer the round pan knobs or they're doing this in their themes because they're using the v5 and v6 default themes as their starting point? When I look at a lot of the v3 user created and earlier themes, a majority of them included vertical pan sliders where v3 and earlier default Reaper themes included vertical pan sliders.

Overall the use of round buttons and knobs on everything I don't like. I prefer square/rectangular buttons. This is the main reason I chose the Commala themes and decided to start with it in my theme building learning.

I know I'm not alone on the pan type preference because when I did a Google search on "Reaper themes with pan sliders" a lot of posts popped up on Reddit and the Reaper forums expressing displeasure of not having that option in the v5 and v6 default themes.
Rednroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:02 AM   #678
Rednroll

Quote:

I like their Mute and Solo buttons with the light indicator. Very nice touch. However, there's so many other things I don't like.
Things like:
1. Where's the scribble strip so you can label your TCP tracks?
2. Knobs for TCP volume and pans.
3. Tiny TCP vertical meters. Are those meters actually useful or more so to just show a blinking light to indicate something is playing? How do you set an input level with a tiny meter like that? Maybe it switches to a larger meter when record input is enabled or you switch your view to the MCP mixer view?

Last edited by Rednroll; 08-04-2021 at 09:08 AM.
Rednroll is offline   Reply With Quote