Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 11-06-2018, 10:35 PM   #361
dub tree
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffe1973 View Post
I can definetly pay!! Is it possible to get a "gang" together and pay him??
That gang already exists, and is called Cockos.
dub tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:23 AM   #362
Xaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Let me know what you find. My understanding is that is is just a beta and was never finished. I only use the TCP also so the mixer doesn't matter to me. I just need a nice TCP that is finished. I'm fine with reapers default theme. The lack of communication is the real disappointment.
The TCP is the least usable part of the beta. Several of the Mixer panels he posted aren't in the beta, either. What's there is beautiful, but it is a beta. I ended up switching back to my custom mod of FoldersImperialWT because I didn't have time to go in and replace the TCP resources in the beta with the stuff from the old theme. I'm still new to theming, and I had a lot of custom colors, graphics, etc. set up around FoldersImperialWT. It's probably a pretty simple thing to bring in the resources from the beta and change the relevant entries in the .ReaperTheme file, but it's a slow process for me because I'm learning everything as I go, and I just have too many things I've got to get done to play with it. Especially since anything I do will only be of use to me because he doesn't want anyone sharing mods.

As for the people that are complaining about this taking a long time and WT not communicating about it, I think it would be good to remember that he's doing this all for free and probably in his spare time. He doesn't even have a Patreon that I know of, which is kind of a shame because I'm sure that if he did, he'd have a lot of people willing to contribute to the development of this theme.

It would take a lot of money, though, to get it developed if the idea was to get him to take time off of work. I don't know about the market today, but when I was doing that kind of design and Photoshop work, I was making between $100 and $300 and hour. A theme like this takes a LOT of time to develop. I know the market for PS skills doesn't pay what it once did, since it practically does everything for you now and kids grow up using it, but I'm sure that a guy with his intelligence, skills, and aesthetic sense is probably used to making quite a bit of money and is in high demand. We should be grateful that he's done what he has. Please remember he's under no obligation to make your UI look how you think it should. The great thing about REAPER is that you're free to do that yourself if you want.

We can all hope that the silence on this issue is an indicator that he's working with Cockos on doing an official facelift of REAPER, since the UI is the only thing that is inferior to other DAWs. (Well, ARA, support for the Melodyne users is probably big, too, but I'm out of that loop. I'm old school. Robert Plant, Ann Wilson, Etta James, Bonnie Raitt, Aretha Franklin, BB King, Sting, Ronnie James Dio, Janis Joplin, and a giant list of legends never needed it, and I think if we ever want to see real talent start coming back, we out to toss Melodyne in the scrap heap. Please, for the sake of music, boycott Melodyne!)
Old 11-12-2018, 06:11 AM   #363
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos View Post
The TCP is the least usable part of the beta. Several of the Mixer panels he posted aren't in the beta, either. What's there is beautiful, but it is a beta. I ended up switching back to my custom mod of FoldersImperialWT because I didn't have time to go in and replace the TCP resources in the beta with the stuff from the old theme. I'm still new to theming, and I had a lot of custom colors, graphics, etc. set up around FoldersImperialWT. It's probably a pretty simple thing to bring in the resources from the beta and change the relevant entries in the .ReaperTheme file, but it's a slow process for me because I'm learning everything as I go, and I just have too many things I've got to get done to play with it. Especially since anything I do will only be of use to me because he doesn't want anyone sharing mods.

You make a ton of assumptions.

As for the people that are complaining about this taking a long time and WT not communicating about it, I think it would be good to remember that he's doing this all for free and probably in his spare time. He doesn't even have a Patreon that I know of, which is kind of a shame because I'm sure that if he did, he'd have a lot of people willing to contribute to the development of this theme.

It would take a lot of money, though, to get it developed if the idea was to get him to take time off of work. I don't know about the market today, but when I was doing that kind of design and Photoshop work, I was making between $100 and $300 and hour. A theme like this takes a LOT of time to develop. I know the market for PS skills doesn't pay what it once did, since it practically does everything for you now and kids grow up using it, but I'm sure that a guy with his intelligence, skills, and aesthetic sense is probably used to making quite a bit of money and is in high demand. We should be grateful that he's done what he has. Please remember he's under no obligation to make your UI look how you think it should. The great thing about REAPER is that you're free to do that yourself if you want.

We can all hope that the silence on this issue is an indicator that he's working with Cockos on doing an official facelift of REAPER, since the UI is the only thing that is inferior to other DAWs. (Well, ARA, support for the Melodyne users is probably big, too, but I'm out of that loop. I'm old school. Robert Plant, Ann Wilson, Etta James, Bonnie Raitt, Aretha Franklin, BB King, Sting, Ronnie James Dio, Janis Joplin, and a giant list of legends never needed it, and I think if we ever want to see real talent start coming back, we out to toss Melodyne in the scrap heap. Please, for the sake of music, boycott Melodyne!)
I take exception with the "because it's free, you don't have to communicate". Adults communicate period. I don't care if the immensely talented White Tie says he's never finishing it or it might be years before he finishes it but adults communicate.

This really points to the bigger issue of the theme being so difficult for normal people to modify too. Also, there is nothing wrong with Melodyne. It's another tool. Don't blame a craftsman who can use a nail gun and build the same house 10 times faster than someone using a hammer.

Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:24 AM   #364
dub tree

Quote:
I take exception with the "because it's free, you don't have to communicate". Adults communicate period. I don't care if the immensely talented White Tie says he's never finishing it or it might be years before he finishes it but adults communicate.
Wow, I bet White Tie finds this sort of attitude really compelling.

Because someone doesn't treat you the way you want, you imply that they aren't an "adult."

Look up at the sky. Some irony just flew way over your head.

Last edited by dub tree; 11-13-2018 at 10:30 AM.
dub tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:38 AM   #365
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub tree View Post
Wow, I bet White Tie finds this sort of attitude really compelling.

Because someone doesn't treat you the way you want, you imply that they aren't an "adult."

Look up at the sky. Some irony just flew way over your head.
Apparently adults are different where you live and lack the communication gene. I'm so happy to associate in my daily life with people who do know how to communicate. Sure makes life a hell of a lot easier.

If he treated me the way I wanted then the theme would be done. I do not have any expectations of the theme being done, I only mentioned that communication would be the adult thing to do. At least that's how we do it around these here parts.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:55 AM   #366
xpander

WT already communicated clear enought in the OP what this progress snapshot is all about. If you want to discuss about the details of included WALTER, which was a big point of releasing this beta, I'm sure somebody, maybe even WT himself can address that.

But how you can even think you are in a position to demand constant reports puzzles me. Ironically it's also you who draws the adult card, yet what you are posting here is just the backseat choir of 'are we there yet'. C'mon Coachz, you can do better.
xpander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:01 AM   #367
Bri1
Banned

hi tit wee !
lol-communication is key to greater knowledge.
the work is already done on 1 level-but on another,it is yet to fully manifest!
wt imperial v5 for the worldwidewin.
good sense of humour=priceless.
ΩΨ
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:59 AM   #368
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
WT already communicated clear enought in the OP what this progress snapshot is all about. If you want to discuss about the details of included WALTER, which was a big point of releasing this beta, I'm sure somebody, maybe even WT himself can address that.

But how you can even think you are in a position to demand constant reports puzzles me. Ironically it's also you who draws the adult card, yet what you are posting here is just the backseat choir of 'are we there yet'. C'mon Coachz, you can do better.
One request for communication is now interpreted as demanding constant reports? I have no plans to learn Walter or use Walter as I am definitely not a theme developer. It's not ironic at all that I draw the adult card as I'm very good at communication which is what adults do in my area. Apparently cultures are very different elsewhere and are fine with people not communicating. I'm learning so much. Luckily I can be tolerant of other cultures once I learn their unique peculiarities.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:21 PM   #369
Breeder

Quote:
Word!
Breeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:37 AM   #370
Oly Spart

Default Where can I get last version of this theme?

Where can I get last version of this theme?
Oly Spart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:01 PM   #371
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olymoon View Post
Where can I get last version of this theme?
Click the link "DON'T MAKE ME REGRET SHARING IT" in the 1st post of this thread.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:37 PM   #372
Bri1
Banned

" I've got plenty of testers who I trust implicitly,"

yea,so who are they?
what secrets can be shared by any?
is there a nda or something?
is this a themeiracy?
hi tit wee_ means what?

answers on a postcard,please.. =)
Old 11-14-2018, 03:56 PM   #373
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri1 View Post
" I've got plenty of testers who I trust implicitly,"

yea,so who are they?
what secrets can be shared by any?
is there a nda or something?
is this a themeiracy?
hi tit wee_ means what?

answers on a postcard,please.. =)
clearly not you or i :-(
Old 11-14-2018, 03:56 PM   #374
Oly Spart

Quote:
Click the link "DON'T MAKE ME REGRET SHARING IT" in the 1st post of this thread.

Sorry I didnt saw that. Thank you.
Oly Spart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:27 PM   #375
Rangler

Just downloaded this for my MacBook Pro 13" and had to get an app called EasyRes to be able to use it properly. I'm currently running it at 2048 x 1280.

The only thing missing is the routing plug on the tracks. I like dragging the plug from the track-view.

Love the look, but there are too many compromises with ease-of-use and workflow.

Last edited by Rangler; 02-10-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Rangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:17 PM   #376
woogish

Quote:
I don't care if the immensely talented White Tie says he's never finishing it or it might be years before he finishes it but adults communicate.

and whiners keep whining
woogish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:09 AM   #377
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by woogish View Post
and whiners keep whining
It's clear you don't sit at the adult table where big boys communicate. That post was months ago too.

It is easy to decide on what is wrong to wear to a party, such as deep-sea diving equipment or a pair of large pillows, but deciding what is right is much trickier

Coachz Repo
Old 02-21-2019, 06:56 PM   #378
woogish

whiners simply MUST whine
Old 02-21-2019, 07:47 PM   #379
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
whiners simply MUST

lolz- well i think there is actually <something> to whine about here--
now let's see...hmm op was made 11-09-2016, 05:56 PM- time is now...hmmm =2019+ the initial year 'in the making'
besides- White Tie (<as much 1 can admire the workings of>) is guilty of inducing drooling,favouritizms+ general hoo hars n hurrays for this man!

but !

this "man" has literally ignored every post to date.
there is now 10 pages of feedback-but no theme?
"bollox" is what some call this^ =)
looks good-but it's a dream for dreamers- unless completed.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:03 AM   #380
woogish

I was able to modify this theme to perfectly serve me - and again I say -
White Tie owes NO ONE here a thing - so get over it.......... and if you can't get over it, just go in a corner and shut up........

Last edited by woogish; 02-22-2019 at 02:18 AM.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:47 AM   #381
rncwalker

Some adults, know when "Not to speak".
White tie does not need to answer to anyone here!

Robert
rncwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 07:18 AM   #382
_Stevie_

This thread really gets ridiculous, unsubscribing..
Old 02-22-2019, 07:24 AM   #383
jeranx

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
This thread really gets ridiculous, unsubscribing..
Huumm... no. Like to see as far people can go
jeranx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 01:21 PM   #384
Bri1
Banned

lolz--it's actually pretty hilarious what some folks will quote,or respond to..heh-- highlight the negative+ not the positives right guyz??
who is actually whining anyway?
does your 'theme' include all what the 1st post shows guyz?
if not,why not>?
just stating the plain obvious here..sighz lol
Old 02-26-2019, 11:40 AM   #385
Xaos

Quote:
You took a lot of flak for that. I don't think it's at all unreasonable to expect someone to poke their head in every 3 months or so and give people a clue. Especially in this community. Thankfully, I've become enamored with Solaris LCS Blue V2, and Lucas is not only very communicative, he offers really kind, patient help and advice to everyone who has questions about the theme. He'll even give general advice to help people understand how to customize themes, fix issues they are having, explain how to edit the rtconfig.txt file. I think we should support this kind of attitude, since it's in alignment with the Cockos philosophy that make REAPER and this community so great. WT is more like Google or Microsoft. Frankly, the bloom has really fallen off the rose for me as far as this theme is concerned. There's an arrogance behind it that demonstrated by the attitude of "this is for big monitors, and if you're not using one, you can suck it" while the LCS themes are designed to accommodate all sizes and many different workflows. WT seems to take a perverse pleasure in teasing and frustrating people. Imperial is really kind of a mess in a lot of ways anyway. When I was using it, I had to go in and fix the text and shadows on a lot of the buttons because it was just poorly done and illegible. I literally went in and fixed it pixel by pixel so it was legible, nicely antialiased, and shadowed.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Also, there is nothing wrong with Melodyne. It's another tool. Don't blame a craftsman who can use a nail gun and build the same house 10 times faster than someone using a hammer.
You're right. There's nothing wrong with Melodyne. In fact, its an extremely well implemented tool. What is wrong is that, a) it's gotten to the point that the audio engineers are the real talent now, and a large majority of the "artists" lack basic skills with no impetus to hone their craft because of the ever dependence on Melodyne, and b) it's overuse has led to a sterilization of music. It's just common practice for people to use it to add "harmonies" which are really just pitch shifts of the melody, and fewer and fewer vocalists have lost this skill, which is sad. Bohemian Rhapsody has many "flaws" in it that give it its character. I'd hate to hear how that song would sound if it was made today. But that would never happen because talent at that level has disappeared. There are a few musicians around who can go into the studio and lay down a song in a live performance and have it be great. I just watched a video where Fab Dupont was challenged to produce a vocal and piano track "live" using nothing but three compressors, and it was amazing. Bonnie Raitt can go into the studio and perform her vocal and guitar parts live in one take from beginning to end. I used to get a lot of work because I could listen to a song, a rough melody idea, get a lyric sheet, and lay it down in a take after being up for three days partying. And it was powerful, melodic, early metal that took advantage of my 4 and a half octave range. So, yeah, maybe you can build something in 10 minutes, but it's like an Ikea particle board table and chairs compared to the kind of beautifully crafted, hand carved, ornate, and artistic antique dining room sets made from oak. Yeah, there may be a nick or a mistake here or there, but someone put the whole of their talent and ability into making something that will last for generations instead of a disposable piece of crap that falls apart in a couple of years. Like Fab Dupont says "The upright bass isn't the the devil. It only works for the devil, because the devil is Ikea."

WT may be a fairly talented craftsman, but the quality of Imperial really doesn't justify the attitude that comes with it. He's beginning to strike me of the CLA of this community, and it's just not a fit. He can keep his theme. The Cockos culture is sharing, communicating, and being responsive to each other's needs so we can all do what we do better. I've always said that, as amazing as REAPER is, its best feature is the community support. It's just amazing how the SWS team, the guys who write things like ReaPack and all the resources it manages come together to make something that responds to every need and idea that people have. It's very much an "us" thing, and WT's "I've got my team of beta testers, so all you plebs can go hang" approach is a very elitist thing. I feel a little ashamed that I got so caught up in the frenzy over this and drank the WT cult Kool Aid for a minute. Could be he's a great person, but how would we ever know it fi he refuses to communicate with anyone but his inner circle? "Don't make me regret this" and not being open to feedback from the community makes me really wonder. Let's all just move on, donate to Lucas and Albert, and enjoy their contributions and gracious attitudes.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:04 PM   #386
Coachz

That Solaris theme looks very nice and I agree the best features of Reaper are the community support and wonderful devs. There is way too much great here for me to spend any time on what I consider a bad thread.

Coachz Repo
Old 02-28-2019, 02:36 PM   #387
woogish

Quote:
Your idea of what entitlement is pretty damn warped. When someone says they're going to do something in 6 months then they create an expectation. Simply being an adult and updating people on the expectation you created barring any real life emergency is just being an adult and nothing more. I'm done discussing this topic as it seems apparent I'm dealing with children who do not know how basic adult communication works. Good luck in life.

You need a reality check................
Old 02-28-2019, 03:23 PM   #388
Coachz

Check away. I'm too busy making music with the amazing Reaper to care about this.

Coachz Repo
Old 02-28-2019, 03:47 PM   #389
woogish

trolling for red-faced whiners REALLY is easy!
Old 02-28-2019, 04:27 PM   #390
Coachz

I'm jealous of the people who haven't met you.

Coachz Repo
Old 02-28-2019, 10:05 PM   #391
jeranx

Quote:
I'm jealous of the people who haven't met you.
Excellent
jeranx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:29 AM   #392
ivansc

looks like the stuff in pre release goes a long way to explain why WT has been leaving demo up but not posting any updates. 99% sure they wouldnt work with the current release version.

But what the heck - my occasional dips into this thread kept me amused.

Last edited by ivansc; 03-10-2019 at 03:18 AM.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 03:10 PM   #393
woogish

I'm sure that WT has now learned that MOST sublime of all human truths -
No good deed ever goes unpunished....
Old 03-07-2019, 05:11 PM   #394
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by woogish View Post
I'm sure that WT has now learned that MOST sublime of all human truths -
No good deed ever goes unpunished....
Stop trolling. WT can speak for himself

Coachz Repo
Old 03-07-2019, 05:46 PM   #395
Judders

Quote:
Stop trolling. WT can speak for himself
This thread would suggest otherwise.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:20 AM   #396
ivansc

Man of few words and presumably large helpings. I for one am happy with that. When you look at what the devs are doing in pre release with new methods of themeing via Walter, its hardly surprising WT isnt showing us any of his more recent changes.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:24 AM   #397
Xaos

Quote:
I'm really hoping that my secret fantasy is coming true: that this thread was a trial ballon, Cockos has hired WT as the official UI designer for REAPER, and this will be the official face of REAPER v6.

Can we dream?
Okay, I take back all the snide remarks about WT. It seems my dream is reality, and that is why we're not hearing anything on this. Here's Jon from the REAPER Blog confirming that WT is creating the interface for v6! We're looking at the future face of REAPER.

Cockos are the best of the best! They continue to make massive improvements, like ARA2 support, while working on what I think is going to be the coup de gras ProTools killer we've all been waiting to see REAPER become! My apologies to WT. Sorry to have doubted you. I should have trusted my instincts! This explains the silence:

https://youtu.be/2UB5rQ53gro?t=835
Old 03-16-2019, 06:47 AM   #398
Coachz

Quote:
Okay, I take back all the snide remarks about WT. It seems my dream is reality, and that is why we're not hearing anything on this. Here's Jon from the REAPER Blog confirming that WT is creating the interface for v6! We're looking at the future face of REAPER.

Cockos are the best of the best! They continue to make massive improvements, like ARA2 support, while working on what I think is going to be the coup de gras ProTools killer we've all been waiting to see REAPER become! My apologies to WT. Sorry to have doubted you. I should have trusted my instincts! This explains the silence:

https://youtu.be/2UB5rQ53gro?t=835
Would it have killed him to say hey I can't do this now because I'm working on the future?

Coachz Repo
Old 03-16-2019, 08:31 AM   #399
sightlessness

We ain't entitled to sht. But yeah, WT could type some words around here :P Maybe while he goes to the bathroom/restroom when he is away from designing Reaper V6 stuff.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:48 AM   #400
sostenuto

By far favorite Theme here for long time. Definitely would be reassuring to see informative White Tie post offering some info about new Update /Theme.
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote