Old 09-11-2019, 02:41 PM   #1
RDBOIS
Banned

Default La Foret - NEW VIDEO

Took a while, but finally made a video for this cover song - French Version.

The Cure - A Forest

All tracks recorded in my small amateur home studio.

Editing and mixing done is REAPER

Video made with - Youtubemoviemaker.exe

Hope you enjoy
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 04:54 PM   #2
prom
Human being with feelings

I saw the Cure in George square lecture theatre Edinburgh in ????? 19 ???? eh...damn I am old now... the album being toured was Seventeen Seconds ,I think it was in the late Autumn of 1980 so a nice gothic time of year but in an ultra modern (it was back then) venue. Correction, it was June 20th 1980 (I looked it up).

Video is fun (do cantaloupe grow well in Norway?) but I hope you are secretly working on your material.
Nice to see you are producing still.
Cheers

Last edited by prom; 09-11-2019 at 05:32 PM.
prom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:52 PM   #3
RDBOIS
Banned

Yes, I'm still producing. In the last two months I have written several poems/lyrics. Also, I have been practicing my guitar chops for two songs that I plan on recording soonest. They are classical guitar sounding with a twist of heavy grooving. Fusion...

However, summer means, I'm in the garden growing food. Less time in front of the computer. Summer = garden ; Winter = music. More or less...

I do not live in Norway. I'm a french Quebecois, Canadian + American (duel citizenship), currently living in Mississippi, 45 minutes from New Orleans, Louisiana. New Orleans = SIN CITY = Freak-Land, amazing sidewalk musicians, crowd bathing, southern food, buy your guitar stings and get the f*oock out of there!!!

Cantaloupe will grow here, but I found a better option: an heirloom muskmelon that looks and tastes like cantaloupe, but loves the extreme high humidity heat. Having said that, I'm slowing moving toward growing crop that do not need so much "pampering". I can't be bothered feeding "Arnold Schwarzenegger" plants all that need extra super nutrition. Heirloom muskmelon does better than hybrid cantaloupe, but still needs steroids to get big. Not a big fan of that philosophy.

My consciousness is growing into and with the wild edibles... FREEDOM from Babylon!

This is what I'm doing: https://keepingintheflow.com/index.p...red-gardening/

Ok. I was transparent in my acknowledgment section at the end of the video, but just to be clear, here are the two videos that I used to make my video:

NOTE: They are both "Creative Commons Licensed", so it's all good

Last edited by RDBOIS; 09-12-2019 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:53 AM   #4
prom

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBOIS View Post
crowd bathing

Is that when everyone gets in so as to confuse the sharks?

Get what one came for and get out ....leave it to gang culture and rampant egos to paint a beautiful image of humanity.Hehehe actually sounds like an interesting source of energy to have almost on ones doorstep.
Yes I did not really think you were in Norway.
Poetry coming along nicely I hope.
I was thinking that you get a real nice full bodied sound (like a good wine)on your best tracks I have listened to...not bad (understatement) considering you have no actual studio facility as I understand it,well done!
Once the soil is full of decomposing nature,with built in defense against drying out or becoming overly saturated you can almost just sit back and collect (but that is domestically,I accept it is different when commercial.
laterz

Last edited by prom; 09-25-2019 at 02:10 AM.
prom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 05:55 PM   #5
RDBOIS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by prom View Post
Is that when everyone gets in so as to confuse the sharks?

Get what one came for and get the fook out of there....leave it to gang culture and rampant egos to paint a beautiful image of humanity.Hehehe actually sounds like an interesting source of energy to have almost on ones doorstep.
Yes I did not really think you were in Norway.
Poetry coming along nicely I hope.
I was thinking that you get a real nice full bodied sound (like a good wine)on your best tracks I have listened to...not bad (understatement) considering you have no actual studio facility as I understand it,well done!
Once the soil is full of decomposing nature,with built in defense against drying out or becoming overly saturated you can almost just sit back and collect (but that is domestically,I accept it is different when commercial.
laterz
It's not the sharks that are confused, it's me...

I only got a descent sound on my best tracks because I spent a huge amount of time recording, editing, and polishing. I squeeze the lemon of my cheap home studio (i.e. laptop PC in my living room). Sadly, while I may have mastered the art of producing a song with a cheap system, the lengthy procedure has taken a toll on my motivation and creativity.

I now have anxiety over recording and producing new songs. I guess I have painted myself into a corner? I know I can always just make quick and dirty recording, but the song will sound like cheap demo, at best. I'm not sure I can live with that compromise? I have at least 15+ songs that need to be recorded, not counting those that will express themselves in the future, but can't see myself doing it anymore.

Not that is really matters, because very few people listen to the recordings.

Thanks for the positive comment. It does make me feel like the effort is worthwhile.

I still have to compose by best song ever... I feel it is coming!
Old 09-14-2019, 07:30 PM   #6
Stinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBOIS View Post
I still have to compose by best song ever... I feel it is coming!
Yes, I said recently on this page that my best song is my next one, and caught a little heat about it....but that's ok.

When I drive from Texas (current home) to Georgia (grew up there), the hands-down favorite part of my drive is the I-59 corridor through SE Mississippi (Hattiesburg / Laurel area). Turning north from the boring flat lowlands of East Louisiana, the thick, rich rolling timberland of SE Miss. is my first reminder of the part of the USA that I love so much. Sounds like you live somewhere close?

In fact, my last song is about my affection for the SE USA, and around mid-song I refer to that drive - "...now on my lucky days, I travel to the trees..."

https://soundcloud.com/user-23954441...spangled-hills
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:49 PM   #7
RDBOIS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
Yes, I said recently on this page that my best song is my next one, and caught a little heat about it....but that's ok.

When I drive from Texas (current home) to Georgia (grew up there), the hands-down favorite part of my drive is the I-59 corridor through SE Mississippi (Hattiesburg / Laurel area). Turning north from the boring flat lowlands of East Louisiana, the thick, rich rolling timberland of SE Miss. is my first reminder of the part of the USA that I love so much. Sounds like you live somewhere close?

In fact, my last song is about my affection for the SE USA, and around mid-song I refer to that drive - "...now on my lucky days, I travel to the trees..."

https://soundcloud.com/user-23954441...spangled-hills
Ok, this is song is good !!!

The vocal track is a bit too loud *just a tad. I'm not sure, but the background music is a bit "mushy"? All in all it is a very nice song. Very well done The mouth harmonica was great !

In the end, the balance was good.

Very nice song. I usually have negative comments, but not for this song. This song is good.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:22 AM   #8
Dimaension X

I get what you mean with "quick and dirty" tracks. I like to work fast, and when it takes longer I tend to give up. Inspiration hits me and I need to get it down quick. After I while, I just lose the momentum and give up.

So I tend to appreciate the quick and dirty, even though they might not be as polished, sometimes they "feel" better.
Dimaension X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:18 PM   #9
RDBOIS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimaension X View Post
I get what you mean with "quick and dirty" tracks. I like to work fast, and when it takes longer I tend to give up. Inspiration hits me and I need to get it down quick. After I while, I just lose the momentum and give up.

So I tend to appreciate the quick and dirty, even though they might not be as polished, sometimes they "feel" better.
Thank you. We do what we need to do...
Old 10-09-2019, 09:00 AM   #10
Stinger

[QUOTE= The vocal track is a bit too loud *just a tad. I'm not sure, but the background music is a bit "mushy"? All in all it is a very nice song. Very well done The mouth harmonica was great ![/QUOTE]

I really appreciate your comments on my song White Spangled Hills. That's why I like to post music on this forum when I can - because here one can expect some constructive criticism. The SoundCloud crowd tends to be somewhat of a mutual admiration society.

I was told during the recording process that the vocals (at least in parts of the song) were too loud, but as I finished the project, my ears adjusted to the volume, and I forgot to go back and do that correction. Will fix it in the remix, if and when that happens. Anyway, thanks for reminding me.

And you're right about the muddled backing, but that actually was by design. Not that I like muddled music, but my guitar strumming is so choppy and rough, that I had no choice but to EQ it down to what I would call "nondescript background noise". Better than no noise at all. I think.

And thanks for appreciating the harmonica.....it's a 44 tone chromatic sucker - real long with a chromatic spring button on the end. Took me a few tries to hit all the notes in each riff, but microphones tend to accept harmonica tones well, so I was happy with that part.

Thanks again for the comments.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 02:01 PM   #11
Glennbo

Cool production. Love the video going down paths in the forest. Looks just like the kind of places where I like to hang.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote