Old 04-03-2010, 11:41 AM   #161
jens
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by technogremlin View Post
I think you just proved how powerful Oatmeal is, (almost) replicating a Rhino patch with just the two oscillators that Oatmeal has. Building big sounds with something like Rhino is fairly simple with the big line-up of oscillators, filters, envelopes and what not. The fact that Oatmeal can come close with just two oscillators is impressive.

Rhino is a BIG synth, Oatmeal in comparison on a functional scale is much more powerful... apples and oranges me thinks
careful there - like I already mentioned:

my sequence only uses one single sine-wave oscillator...

also it nonetheless still has more rhythmic elements and a rich bass-fundament (complex key-scaling involved) plus a punchy kick - if in doubt, listen to both files in direct comparison (but for a proper comparison Bladerunner would have to use my MIDI-file which uses additional bass notes - it would be much closer then).

while I applaude Bladerunner's efforts I think it nicely illustrates my point.

Last edited by jens; 04-03-2010 at 11:50 AM.
jens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:48 AM   #162
technogremlin

Jens, no sweat I'm with you that Rhino is a very powerful synth. I had some very nice interactions with the Tickster in the early years, he gave me a Rainbow license for reviewing it when it just came out

I'm just VERY impressed with some of the free stuff nowadays
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:51 AM   #163
bladerunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jens View Post
while I applaude Bladerunner's efforts I think it nicely illustrates my point.
thankyou sir and agreed... getting closer to hitting that buy button on the bigtick site...
Old 04-03-2010, 12:18 PM   #164
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon View Post
One more contender, how does this sound to you?
http://www.quikquak.com/Prod_GlassViper.html

Glass Viper is da shizznit! Love the sounds it makes. Constantly moving!

I also love Oatmeal, there is only one thing bothering me with it - velocity and aftertouch are COUPLED AND UNSEPARABLE :/ Y U DO DAT ;_;

Other than that, it's brilliant.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:07 PM   #165
Peevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon View Post
One more contender, how does this sound to you?

Yeah very decent softsynth & very decently priced too.

OHHH NO!! My KarmaFX Demo has expired....must..get..latest...version!
Its funny how you miss something like a softsynth...I need to get out more.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:31 PM   #166
ugh

Some of the synths I discoverd in this thread are quite marvellous. Thank you for everyone so far. I also love Oatmeal a lot, I sometimes like it so much that I make whole songs only using oatmeal and nothing else
That said, I personally think it has a very unique character regarding it's sound
and I am not sure sure if it mixes good together with other synths in one song.
But why would it have to

Yet I thought I throw my 2 cents in regarding inexpensive Synthalrounders.

Novation V-Station is available at thomann.de or musicstore.de for only 59 EUR in the boxed version. I really dig this synth and for that price.... imho it is a very god VSTi for electronic music and there are also numerous free extra soundbanks available on the internet for it.

Oh and since the threadopener has a quite large "inexpensive" budget, my favourite synth is still Rob Papen's Predator, it does a lot of things and just sounds so remarkably well. It also has tons of presets included, for those that don't program their sounds themselves. For example, there are a couple of whole banks filled with only DnB sounds (hint hint...to the threadopener). With a retail price of 149 EUR, I consider this one to be very expensive, luckily I was able to pick it up second hand for a far more reasonable price.
I can be so content with what Predator has to offer, that I end up using this one only for a whole song (many predator instances), this usually only happens to me with Oatmeal....

Last edited by ugh; 04-03-2010 at 02:13 PM.
ugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:47 PM   #167
technogremlin

What the heck, not free but seriously inexpensive and very good sounding:

Price respectively 59$, 79$ and 49$

Demo versions available: http://synapse-audio.com/products.php
Old 04-03-2010, 02:40 PM   #168
rictheobscene

Synapse Audio makes some good stuff. I like keeping Orion Rewired as a client to reaper. I like the drum modules that come with Orion. You can't go wrong their stuff. They have very good support.
rictheobscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 02:48 PM   #169
EvilDragon

Oatmeal:

Use distortion, per note and global, then use chorus 16 voices, mix 50%, feedback 100%, irregular shape, add some delay and reverb on top of that and you get pure self-oscillating sonic sex. Amazing stuff for the money!

Pure. Sonic. Sex.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:49 PM   #170
jens

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post
thankyou sir and agreed... getting closer to hitting that buy button on the bigtick site...

I guess I'll have to have a talk with the Tick about increasing my percentage...
jens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 02:53 PM   #171
rictheobscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by jens View Post

I guess I'll have to have a talk with the Tick about increasing my percentage...
I knew it. It is a conspiracy.

Oh, but your cover is blown now Mr. Ticky Secret Agent man.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:35 PM   #172
bladerunner

thought this would be an appropriate place to put this seeing as there has been lots of oatmeal talk. these were the entries to a contest at kvr a while back to make a track using only oatmeal for everything including all drums, percussion etc. this will give interested peeps a fairly good idea of just how much of an all rounder it can be. track 4 is the one i did - it's cheesy crap (in a style i don't normally do at all and the melody sound is a little out of tune!) but i was rather pleased with the drum sounds i was able to get out of it.

http://www.ilfungomagico.it/

'oatscollider' is an awesome piece of sound design

Last edited by bladerunner; 04-03-2010 at 05:58 PM.
bladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:03 PM   #173
Peevy

Quote:
thought this would be an appropriate place to put this seeing as there has been lots of oatmeal talk. these were the entries to a contest at kvr a while back to make a track using only oatmeal for everything including all drums, percussion etc. this will give interested peeps a fairly good idea of just how much of an all rounder it can be. track 4 is the one i did - it's cheesy crap (in a style i don't normally do at all and the melody sound is a little out of tune!) but i was rather pleased with the drum sounds i was able to get out of it.

http://www.ilfungomagico.it/

'oatscollider' is an awesome piece of sound design
I'm very impressed with what you & the others in this contest were able to achieve using only Oatmeal. Just proves you don't need Tonnes of cash (although I wouldn't say no to it if anyones offering) to come up with some very creative & well produced music.

I'm using Oatmeal almost exclusively in one of my latest projects, Drumaxx for percussion & some vox samples. I'll maybe attach a link to it when/if its finished. Could take a while though, I tend to work on a few projects at a time.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:22 PM   #174
Peevy

Quote:
Now, did anyone take a look/listen to massTurboTar ?
Don't worry technogremlin I haven't forgot, its next on my list.

I've been playing Synapse's Toxic 2.5...yet another impressive sub £100 Softsynth. They just keep coming. We'll have to start up a pole soon of the top 5 sub £100 Softsynth all-rounders.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:35 AM   #175
technogremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peevy View Post
I've been playing Synapse's Toxic 2.5...yet another impressive sub £100 Softsynth.
Toxic is quite impressive indeed. And while on the subject of Synapse Audio, you might want to hold off buying something for the next few weeks; Richard (the guy behind Synapse) has announced a new synth-plugin that will blow almost everything out of the water (his words). He is teasing us on the Synapse forum about it, announced it will be released this month. Knowing his incredible craftsmanship in designing synths it is going to be realy good
Old 04-04-2010, 02:29 AM   #176
technogremlin

Quote:
thought this would be an appropriate place to put this seeing as there has been lots of oatmeal talk.
I like to add that Limeflavour released a new version of his Lumina-skin for Oatmeal:

http://flavoursoflime.blogspot.com/2...ted-to-r6.html

Old 04-04-2010, 02:37 AM   #177
EvilDragon

Hell, I'm using Lumina skin as well! It's about the best for Oatmeal.

BTW, I was more impressed with Synth1 One Synth Challenge on KvR. Brilliant, brilliant songs and sound design there!
Old 04-04-2010, 09:31 PM   #178
Peevy

I finally got round to checking out massTURBOtar, its a very interesting & fun wee synth. But it feels a bit unfinished which I suppose is understandable since it was in the KVR developers challenge. I hope the devs continue improving this synth, I'll be keeping an eye on it.

One other thing I finally got around to.......YES! I Finally bought Ace!
I cant wait to get stuck into learning the ins outs of this amazing & amazingly reasonably priced Synth.

I also demoed a couple of other synths B.Serano's Adonis & Humanoid Sound's Scanned Synth. I watched an on-line demo of Adonis & Scanned Synth which impressed me, so I had to give them a go. First of all I'd advice everyone to stay clear of Adonis, it kept freezing Reaper & spiking the CPU plus it didn't sound as good as I initially thought. Scanned Synth on the other hand sounded very good but it crashed Reaper on me. I did read a couple of threads about problems with Reaper & Scanned Synth.

I need to start saving for my next SoftSynth Purchase. Hmmm...what will it be?
Old 04-05-2010, 12:49 AM   #179
technogremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peevy View Post
I finally got round to checking out massTURBOtar, its a very interesting & fun wee synth. But it feels a bit unfinished which I suppose is understandable since it was in the KVR developers challenge. I hope the devs continue improving this synth, I'll be keeping an eye on it.
I got that feeling also initially. The real gem comes out when you start mixing presets with the morph-option and assign the morph parameter to velocity, aftertouch or a mod-wheel. But maybe you found that out already. I think with the morph-function it can do things no other synth can match
Old 04-05-2010, 01:50 AM   #180
technogremlin

Oh, look what I found:

Oscillators and filter sounds absolutely fabulous, and it's free

Skin by Limeflavour (gorgeous ), download here:

http://sarvst.110mb.com/Page2.html (scroll down the page)

There's an accompanying multi-fx plugin in the download as well.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:55 AM   #181
zoid9

Not much in the way of presets, but you can get some pretty fat sounds. Its O.K.(for a synthedit). Lots of other free ones I have can achieve the same results (and alot more). Haven't tried the effects plug-in yet.
zoid9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:19 AM   #182
technogremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid9 View Post
Its O.K.(for a synthedit). Lots of other free ones I have can achieve the same results (and alot more).
If by 'achieve more' you mean feature-wise then yes, many free synths can do a lot more. But I can't help being seriously impressed by the oscillators and filter on this one: it has a very Moogish quality to it. I probably swap out MinimogueLuxus for this one

Just use patch 'it was analog', mix in the third oscillator for good measure (not really necessary), swith the filter to 36bd and slowly close the cutoff a little bit; you get that signature moog-lead sound (had to tweak oscillator tuning a bit to make it 'tight').

It is indeed made with SE but if I understand correctly there is some custom mojo under the hood
Old 04-05-2010, 06:32 AM   #183
zoid9

I know where you're comin' from. I'm gonna hold on to it for a while. One of my main problems is I will spend too much time tweaking, and not enough making music. I like to have presets that are roughly what I'm looking for.
I can then lay down some funk and then tweak around.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:18 AM   #184
technogremlin

Quote:
I like to have presets that are roughly what I'm looking for.
Maybe I can help; I just thought this is a great synth to build a patch-bank based on the memorymoog patchbook I have laying around

I just checked, there are a few options missing but it's configuration is close enough to do it tmo
Old 04-05-2010, 08:00 AM   #185
MountainKing

GlassViper has been mentioned?

edit:
Oh, yes. I just recognized it WAS mentioned! Sorry!
Mac Mini | 2,53 GHz | 2 GB | PreSonus Firestudio Mobile | Compact 4 | Mindprint DI-Port | Yamaha HSM 80| Presonus Studio One | Samplitude 11 | AT4033SE | Swissonic CK490 | Squier51 | Breedlove D25-SR | Cort Action Bass | PODxt
MountainKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:10 AM   #186
zoid9

That would be seriously cool. One thing I've been wondering for quite some time is if you create your own patches, fxp for example, how can you get them to become fxb? There are alot of good sounds out there and alot of them turn out to be fxp patches instead of banks. Even though they are good sounds, I tend to get rid of them because I have to load them in one at a time. If there is some kind of converter out there, I can't find it. I have also seen others on other forums looking for the same thing. Such an animal must exist somewhere or there would be no fxb extension.
Perhaps I can get hold of Tim Conraddy. I am pretty sure alot of folks have used his presets. I've seen his presets with instrument specific extensions, so I am wondering if special permission is needed from the developers.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:13 AM   #187
bladerunner

glassviper is a nice synth with some good ideas for sound 'movement' but it always crashes reaper for me. it just used to make reaper disappear - no error messages. i don't know if anything has changed (it was about a year ago i last demoed it).

i dl'ed logana and played around with it for a while but a quick comparison with vaz plus and Asynth and i'm afraid it's no competition. nice for a freebie though.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:17 AM   #188
bladerunner

@zoid9 - you simply load in all your .fxp's into the synth then once you have filled all the 'slots' you save the bank as an .fxb.

Quote:
Perhaps I can get hold of Tim Conraddy. I am pretty sure alot of folks have used his presets. I've seen his presets with instrument specific extensions, so I am wondering if special permission is needed from the developers.
i guess you didn't hear about Tim Conrardy. He very sadly passed away last year. a brilliant sound designer for sure
Old 04-05-2010, 08:31 AM   #189
zoid9

Quote:
@zoid9 - you simply load in all your .fxp's into the synth then once you have filled all the 'slots' you save the bank as an .fxb.

i guess you didn't hear about Tim Conrardy. He very sadly passed away last year. a brilliant sound designer for sure
Oh, that is a shame. He did make alot of awesome patches.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:36 AM   #190
technogremlin

Quote:
If there is some kind of converter out there, I can't find it.
Tobybear's minihost

Quote:
i dl'ed logana and played around with it for a while but a quick comparison with vaz plus and Asynth and i'm afraid it's no competition. nice for a freebie though.
Hmmmmm.... Vaz is not a freebee and Asynth, although very good sounding, is quite limited in it's options; 2 oscillators, no noise-gen, no additional mod-envelope, no osc-sync and/or FM (afaict).
Old 04-05-2010, 09:33 AM   #191
bladerunner

Quote:
Tobybear's minihost Asynth, although very good sounding, is quite limited in it's options; 2 oscillators, no noise-gen, no additional mod-envelope, no osc-sync and/or FM (afaict).
i know it's limited but it sounds so good!! yes i am comparing a little unfairly but i must admit i don't tend to delve too much further when the sound quality (subjective of course) doesn't measure up.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:11 AM   #192
mtsproductions

Let me throw a couple more in, just for giggles.

Audioxygen Gemini http://www.audioxygen.com/ not bad at all for $25

discoDSP Discovery http://www.discodsp.com/discovery/ much much better than glass viper IMHO @ $99...
Old 04-05-2010, 10:12 AM   #193
technogremlin

I'm interested to hear where you think it doesn't sound good. I just took the aforementioned patch, switched the filter to 36db and was very impressed by the filter response... I mean, VERY impressed.

So either I'm hearing things that are not there... or you're not hearing them
Old 04-05-2010, 10:19 AM   #194
rictheobscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsproductions View Post
Let me throw a couple more in, just for giggles.

Audioxygen Gemini http://www.audioxygen.com/ not bad at all for $25

discoDSP Discovery http://www.discodsp.com/discovery/ much much better than glass viper IMHO @ $99...
I have Discovery Pro, and I love it. However, it is the kind of synth that is easy to spend some time involved in the programming.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:59 AM   #195
bladerunner

Quote:
I'm interested to hear where you think it doesn't sound good. I just took the aforementioned patch, switched the filter to 36db and was very impressed by the filter response... I mean, VERY impressed.

So either I'm hearing things that are not there... or you're not hearing them
it's isn't that it doesn't sound 'good'. personally i love the slightly harsh, abrasive sound of ARP synths as opposed to the smoother sound of moogs. so i am a little biased towards the kind of synths that have oscillators that are very rich in harmonics and filters that have similarities to the odyssey or 2600. i dunno - i just didn't get a 'wow' feeling when i played around with it earlier.

it's all very subjective isn't it!!! i am very picky when it comes to synths...
Old 04-05-2010, 11:03 AM   #196
bladerunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsproductions View Post
now thats a strange comparison! i have discovery and i wouldn't have said that it has anything in common with the sound of glass viper. did you mean much better feature wise?
Old 04-05-2010, 12:08 PM   #197
technogremlin

Quote:
it's all very subjective isn't it!!! i am very picky when it comes to synths...
I'm picky too so I know what you mean Funny, it's most of the ARP-emulations that aren't doing it for me so there is the difference in our preferences then

This goes a lot to why we both like Oatmeal I think; it can do both big fat sounds AND cold, digital sounding patches (it sometimes reminds me a lot of the PPG Wave with it's digital wavetables combined with analog filters).
Old 04-05-2010, 01:39 PM   #198
rictheobscene

At the rate this thread is going, we should every inexpensive synth listed out in only a few more days.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:59 PM   #199
Peevy

I found this today, KX Modulad, tis free. It has some very good patches. It is a bit cluttered but interesting & pretty tweak-able.

[IMG]http://img191.**************/img191/9797/kxmodulad.png[/IMG]

* Stereo routing.
* All modulations are pre-connected, no cables on the GUI.
* Skin with variable background color.
* 3 Polyphonic EGs with for each segment: curves, velocity and Kbd controls.
* 1 Monophonic EG with for each segment: curves, velocity and Kbd controls.
* Multiple trigger sources and sync for the EGs and the LFOs.
* 2 Oscillators with 2 waveforms and 2 outputs with Phase modulation and Sync.
* 2 independent Sub Oscillators.
* 1 Stereo SF2 player.
* 2 Monophonic LFOs with 2 Rates and ASR EG.
* 2 Multimode VCFs.
* Mixer with 6 sources: Noise, VCO1 1-2, VCO 2 1-2, Ring, VCO1 Width, VCO2 Width and 3 outputs: VCF1, VCF2, VCA.
* Each mixer voice can be modulated by different sources.
* Noise Generator with an EQ.
* Sample&Hold.
* Ring Modulator.
* 6 host sync clocks.
* 2 MIDI inputs.
* 1 Distortion.
* 2 Delays with sync, multimode filter and modulation oscillator with sync.
* 1 Scope with 100 ms of buffer size.
* Full MIDI learn.
* Full NRPN implementation.
* 128 nice KX presets.

WARNING SYNTHEDIT!
I've had problems with SynthEdit stuff in the past. Just thought I'd warn ya. Seems to be ok so far.

http://kx77free.free.fr/English-page-vst.html

Check it out, I like it.

Last edited by Peevy; 04-05-2010 at 03:01 PM. Reason: added Txt
Peevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 02:08 PM   #200
EvilDragon

I think this thread is doing what basically KvR IS ALL ABOUT.