Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 09-22-2009, 10:46 AM   #1
nobo
Human being with feelings

Default Group editing of multi-tracked multiple takes (e.g. drums).?

Hi,

I’m not sure if this already exists in Reaper (or, indeed, elsewhere – e.g. Cubase), but I’d ideally I want to be able to:

1. Record say, x (let’s say 8) sources at once from a single instrument (e.g. drums – actually here it’s acoustic guitar with multiple mics and pickup systems).
2. Record multiple alternate takes (maybe 10-15).
3. I need to non-destructively combine the best of the 10-15 takes. So I want to somehow “folder” the sources together, so that instead of having 8 sources x 10-15 takes (i.e. 80-120 tracks), to have to edit and select and chop up, I see each take (of 8 sources) as a single track (which I will refer to as a “Consolidated Take”), so that I only see 10-15 Consolidated Takes (which would look like a single track) on screen. What I’m thinking of is a bit like bussing, except I would like to be able to edit the 8 sources together as one track (without bouncing each to a single or stereo wav, as I need to edit first and then make adjustments to the mix).
4. I’d like all of these Consolidated Takes to be effected (reverb, compression, etc) the same way (presumably possible via Auxes or Bussing).
5. It would be even better if I could stack the Consolidated Takes for freeform editing (as it was called in the Ensoniq PARIS DAW; it was also implemented more recently in Cubase – though I don’t know what it was called) whereby you can delete sections of takes (cut holes it them) and then it will automatically play the next take (or here, a Consolidated Take) in the play list.

Any thoughts on how best to do this greatly appreaciated. Having to select edit the old fashioned way (where you have 120 odd tracks that need selecting in group and chopping up and moving around) is driving me insane!

Many thanks!
nobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:06 PM   #2
gofer
-blänk-

I didn't have the need to try it by now, but someone here on the forum mentioned an approach I found tempting to try:

Basically you would record your 8 mics to a (8 channel in this case) multitrack file. So you record all of them into a single item on on track. You record your takes as normal, do the comping on the takes conveniently on single items for all mics and afterwards glue and explode the resulting 8-channel comp to mono sources and mix.

While writing this I had to go and try it out with a 6-track recording. It works really nice, but the routing is rather complex at first glance.

I needed the source tracks with sends to the chosen channels of the recording track. Then the recording track itself, set to 6 channels and "Record: output (multichannel)". Plus I needed one other track for monitoring, which recombines those channels (using three receives from the recording track) so they were all present on channels 1/2 on the master track. Otherwise I couldn't hear channels 3 to 6, there might be a better way. That latter track was the only one with "Master/parent send" enabled.

Reaper's take system is a beast of it's own. Some love it some hate it. But this way to handle multichannel recordings is nothing but cool once set up. No more dealing with multiple tracks when cutting and editing multichannel recordings. In the end it's "explode multichannel yadayada..." and boumm: All nice mono tracks nicely foldered in the original recording track to mix. The multitrack source item is muted automatically. A bit like magic

I can imagine an 8-channel item with 10 to 15 takes might look very distructing though.

I definitely saved the track template for later use I recommend a serious try.

I did miss multiple choice in the input section of a track here. Multichannel input would ease that thing further down quite a lot.

EDIT: Way cooler: create 6 monitoring tracks instead of the single stereo one and mix directly from the multichannel item. That's pure awesomeness.

Last edited by gofer; 09-22-2009 at 01:18 PM.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:10 PM   #3
beatbybit

what if you record your inputs in Multichannel format?

you can have 64channels in one file. Multichannel media ist easy to edit, multitake, etc. (same as any normal mono/stereo item, or MIDI)

but you dont need to worry about the channel grouping this way.
ofcourse you can mix all the channels independently, liek you'd normally do.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:24 PM   #4
gofer
-blänk-

Yeah, bbb, that's what I'm talking about, cool ani I guess it was you who plante dthat into my brain. Finally got around trying it now. Way cool.

How do you go about the monitoring. I had to work a bit to hear channels != 1/2. When done recording, one can of course insert any multichannel plug and route via pins, but you obviously needn't?

Last edited by gofer; 09-22-2009 at 01:32 PM.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:45 PM   #5
beatbybit

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
Yeah, bbb, that's what I'm talking about, cool ani I guess it was you who plante dthat into my brain. Finally got around trying it now. Way cool.

How do you go about the monitoring. I had to work a bit to hear channels != 1/2. When done recording, one can of course insert any multichannel plug and route via pins, but you obviously needn't?
sorry gofer, i didnt intend to repeat you, we both wrote our responses at the same time - i posted it a bit later..

the monitoring after rec the multichannel? if you dont want to use a track template, or dont want to build the proper routing, atm you may use the JS/IX mixers as simple track FX, and have a mixed/summed stereo out of the multichannel on that track.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:08 AM   #6
nobo

Thanks guys,
That's exactly what i'm after. Well, half of what I'm after - it addresses the handling multiple takes but doesn't address the freeform editing for combining takes. Still, a major step in the right direction. I'll have to see if I can get this working.

Does anyone have a template file for this? As mentioned, I'd eventually need to split out the combined master take (consisting of a mix of various multitracked files) into its individual consitutent files to mix each input separately, but only when editing is complete.

New to Reaper and still working out what's is capable of and whether it's suitable for my needs - but impressed so far.

Many thanks
nobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:21 AM   #7
beingmf

oh WOWWWW! i never thought of this before! have to try it tonight (6 track drum recording)! thanks for sharing!
beingmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:17 AM   #8
beingmf

hey bbb!
the video's a bit too fast - i don't get it working.
could you do us the favour and explain in words how you did the routing?

thanks a lot!

ps. i was at "Klangfarbe" in Vienna: they have top gear right at the shop. incredible, really! almost no BS gear around, just top notch, also the cheaper stuff. unfortunately for 500 modules they had only the A-Designs EM red...
beingmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:52 AM   #9
beatbybit

Airon nicely put the steps here:

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...7&postcount=13

yay, 500s!