Old 09-05-2017, 06:29 AM   #1
Arpegia
Human being with feelings

Default Undo Delete Track strange ?

Hello,

I have something very annoying with the undo fonction.

When I edit to fast , some time I delete a track by mistake. in this case, i just do "Cmd Z" to Undo, and instead of reload the track, Reaper reinstall all instruments in all tracks and then reload the track.

I don't loose anything or instrument setup, but it takes time, mostly when it's a big session.

is there any possibilité to avoid the reload process of all instruments ?

Thanks for help.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:46 AM   #2
Justin
Administrator

Hmm if you use the action to delete a non-empty track, it should prompt you to confirm, no?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:53 AM   #3
serr

There are a few 'actions' that seem to get lumped together for undo events. I notice this with envelope points. Undo making the last envelope point and if you had just made a few others immediately before that, all of them undo.

I haven't annoyed myself quite enough with that to look for errant settings. Not sure if I'm being stupid or this is really a quirk.

On the other end of it, I notice that custom actions undo 1 "sub-action" at a time vs. undoing the whole custom action in one ⌘Z.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 02:08 PM   #4
Arpegia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Hmm if you use the action to delete a non-empty track, it should prompt you to confirm, no?
Yes, of coarse Reaper ask me to confirm "delete Track" but sometimes, I go to fast and confirm without thinking.

If I need to Undo.......... I have time to make a coffee Break :-)
Old 09-05-2017, 09:57 PM   #5
Arpegia

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
There are a few 'actions' that seem to get lumped together for undo events. I notice this with envelope points. Undo making the last envelope point and if you had just made a few others immediately before that, all of them undo.

I haven't annoyed myself quite enough with that to look for errant settings. Not sure if I'm being stupid or this is really a quirk.

On the other end of it, I notice that custom actions undo 1 "sub-action" at a time vs. undoing the whole custom action in one ⌘Z.
Then for you, there is no solution ?
I check in the Action window for other Undo fonction, but there is nothing.
Is it a specific issue with Mac ?

If not, everybody should be bother by this behavior.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:51 AM   #6
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpegia View Post
Then for you, there is no solution ?
I check in the Action window for other Undo fonction, but there is nothing.
Is it a specific issue with Mac ?

If not, everybody should be bother by this behavior.
Apparently I haven't been bothered enough yet!

Like I said, I haven't looked for any commands or preference settings for "bundling" or "unbundling" (my words) actions for undo. I recalled the custom action behavior and the envelope behavior so I'm speculating that undo sees a string of some actions (eg. envelope point making) as a single undo event and others (eg. individual actions in a custom action) as multiple.

If there's a preference setting to adjust/customize that, I don't know what it is. If there's such a thing, it's almost certainly available for the Windows version of Reaper as well as the Mac version though.

So I don't know if this is a feature with a couple poor default settings or a bug. Or if these are related to your issue! It sounded similar and made me recall the above.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:46 AM   #7
Arpegia

Quote:
So I don't know if this is a feature with a couple poor default settings or a bug.
Definitely it's a bug .

I just talk in the French forum with a guy who run Reaper on PC. He has the same problem and told me that he take care to don't fall in this bad situation (be obliged to make an Undo after delete a track).

He propose me to make a test . Load a Reaper session with virtual instruments or synthesiser but without any Kontakt sound.
Then, I load Aria player sounds, Sforzando sounds (10 Tracks) I delete one of them and make an Undo. Result: No problem at all. The track reload instantly.

Then, I add 5 Kontakt sounds. I delete one Aria player track and make Undo. "Bingo" all tracks with Kontakt discharge and recharge their sound. Just after I take back my track with Aria player.

My problem is that I have session with 40 or 50 Kontakt on tracks

I am surprise to be the first to indicate this issue.

Do you know if anybody is able to find the solution with Contact ?

Should say that somewhere else in the Forum? (My English is really not perfect)

Do you use Kontakt ?
Old 09-10-2017, 05:08 AM   #8
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpegia View Post
Then, I add 5 Kontakt sounds. I delete one Aria player track and make Undo. "Bingo" all tracks with Kontakt discharge and recharge their sound. Just after I take back my track with Aria player.
Ah yes, I think this bug will be fixed for 5.50, but you can go to the pre-release forum to double-check this with the latest pre-release version.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 02:17 PM   #9
Arpegia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Ah yes, I think this bug will be fixed for 5.50, but you can go to the pre-release forum to double-check this with the latest pre-release version.
Indeed, I saw that they Improve the Undo function.

I didn't knew that "pre-release version" exist.

Should i download it ? (if yes, where ?)

or should I wait for the official 5.50 version ? (if yes, when will it be released ? )
Old 09-10-2017, 06:12 PM   #10
MRMJP

Maybe this is related, maybe not:

Sometimes if I replace an item with a new source file, and then undo that, the "redo" doesn't put the replacement file back.

Does that make sense?

Sometimes after I replace a source file I want to quickly toggle the undo/redo to compare the sync of the two versions but I often run into this scenario.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:20 PM   #11
FnA

Quote:
...Like I said, I haven't looked for any commands or preference settings for "bundling" or "unbundling" (my words) actions for undo. I recalled the custom action behavior and the envelope behavior so I'm speculating that undo sees a string of some actions (eg. envelope point making) as a single undo event and others (eg. individual actions in a custom action) as multiple.

If there's a preference setting to adjust/customize that, I don't know what it is. If there's such a thing, it's almost certainly available for the Windows version of Reaper as well as the Mac version though.
On windows there is a checkbox when you Create Custom Action:
[x] Consolidate Undo Points

You do it for each macro, or not. You should be able to go change it and re-save the action. SWS Cycle action has something similar, but it is global. ReaScript has it's own little tricks.
FnA is offline   Reply With Quote