Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 08-05-2011, 12:41 PM   #1
analogexplosions
Human being with feelings

Default Importing Video into Reaper 4 64 bit

The search hasn't been too friendly to me on this topic, lots of windows 7 people having this issue, but I can't find a solution for OS X.

I'm trying to import a Quicktime video file into Reaper 4 (64) [4.0.1.] and it isn't working. It imports fine on the 32 bit version.

Is there some nerdy thing that I need to geek out on in Prefs to get this going?
analogexplosions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:44 PM   #2
airon

In the 32-bit version, check out the item SOURCE properties (not just the item properties) of the video item.

What does it say exactly ?

This might a good one to show the devs, because 64-bit Reaper on OSX is up and coming, as more and more manufacturers are putting out 64-bit versions of their plugins on OSX as well.

AFAIK, you might be one of the first to try out video on 64-bit Reaper on OSX.

You can play around with the options in Preferences/Video towards the bottom of the preferences section list on the left. OS decoding, colour space. Try it out.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:50 PM   #3
analogexplosions

how would I check source properties from within Reaper?

(i'm still pretty green on the Reaper game... I come from a Pro Tools background.)

When I check video properties via Quicktime, its h.264 encoded, AAC 48000Khz

Is that what you are looking for? Thanks for the help by the way.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
analogexplosions

oh, and no combination of settings worked in the video section of Preferences.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:05 PM   #5
analogexplosions

I figured out how to check the source. This is what it said:

Length: 6:12.906
Video: 480x270@29.97fps, Aspect=1.00, Decoding format=YUY2
Audio: 48000Hz 2ch 16bps

Using QuickTime decoder
Old 08-05-2011, 04:10 PM   #6
ElCongelador

In my experience Reaper64 works quite well with h.264 and video in general if there's the right and up-to-date ffmpeg library installed (64bit Reaper needs 64bit ffmpeg lib!). I compiled it myself from sources though, don't know if there are suitable builds available on the net.
ElCongelador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:20 PM   #7
analogexplosions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCongelador View Post
In my experience Reaper64 works quite well with h.264 and video in general if there's the right and up-to-date ffmpeg library installed (64bit Reaper needs 64bit ffmpeg lib!). I compiled it myself from sources though, don't know if there are suitable builds available on the net.
hmm... one would assume quicktime would handle this just fine.

So, how in the world do I compile this ffmpeg library? I see 64 bit files around, but have no idea what to do with them.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:32 AM   #8
airon

It seems Reaper is not using any 64-bit Quicktime libraries yet on OSX 64-bit.

This may be a good feature request, because everything really is moving in that direction rather quickly.

I haven't found any FFMPEG library compiles either for OSX 64-bit.

ElCongelador, perhaps you guys should get in contact with each other and with Cockos. They may need to have a look how to use 64-bit Quicktime libraries on 10.6 and 10.7, and meanwhile you could share the FFMPEG libraries just between each other.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:00 PM   #9
ElCongelador

I've found a place where to download 64bit builds of ffmpeg (can't guarantee for anything as I haven't tried these, but as far as I can tell it comes with h.264 support):

http://ffmpeg.arrozcru.org/autobuilds/

The right one is: macosx64_shared

Download the most recent, unpack and put all .dylib files into:
<home folder>/Library/Application Support/REAPER/UserPlugins

(According to the wiki entry ( http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/Video_Support ) Reaper should pick it up from here or /usr/local/lib )
Old 08-06-2011, 04:20 PM   #10
ElCongelador

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
It seems Reaper is not using any 64-bit Quicktime libraries yet on OSX 64-bit.
I can't verify Quicktime support because Reaper uses ffmpeg for me, even with "Use OS video decoding instead of FFmpeg when possible".

Don't know what "when possible" refers to... formats?

So you think there's no Quicktime support in Reaper64 at all, airon?
Old 08-07-2011, 03:12 AM   #11
airon

I don't know, since I have no access to a 64-bit OSX system.

What version of FFMPEG works with what kind of Quicktime files(codec) on Reaper x64 for OSX x64 ? What settings did you pick in the Preferences/Video page ?

I'll put those details in to the reference post, and include it in the WIKI later on as well.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:29 AM   #12
analogexplosions

Quote:
I've found a place where to download 64bit builds of ffmpeg (can't guarantee for anything as I haven't tried these, but as far as I can tell it comes with h.264 support):

http://ffmpeg.arrozcru.org/autobuilds/

The right one is: macosx64_shared

Download the most recent, unpack and put all .dylib files into:
<home folder>/Library/Application Support/REAPER/UserPlugins

(According to the wiki entry ( http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/Video_Support ) Reaper should pick it up from here or /usr/local/lib )

I tried this just now, and it still does not work. There were many other files included in the package I downloaded. I tried moving over just the .dylib files first, tested, and then moved everything else to the same directory, tested, and still nothing.

Do you have this currently working on OS X 64 bit? If so, is it possible to see a screenshot of what your Reaper library folders look like? Video Settings, etc?

64 bit would help me out so much for this project, as I could use all 8 gigs of RAM i have in my system. If I can't get it working, I'll just have to use 32 bit Reaper and wait for Cockos to figure this out.

(I can't expect perfect performance, I know... Reaper for 64 bit OS X is still in beta.)
Old 08-07-2011, 10:32 AM   #13
analogexplosions

Default a bit off topic

airon:

i know this is slightly OT of this thread, but how is your Automation Toolbar coming along? I saw that thread and almost had a heart attack. That would help me out tremendously!
Old 08-07-2011, 01:03 PM   #14
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogexplosions View Post
airon:

i know this is slightly OT of this thread, but how is your Automation Toolbar coming along? I saw that thread and almost had a heart attack. That would help me out tremendously!
It's fine. I've added a few commands from the SWS extension that allow me to arm and disarm stuff on selected tracks, such as volume, pan, plugin. It doesn't have the feedback the Protools automation panel has, but it's better than nothing. I'm still testing. Next I'll add the command to show all active envelopes for selected tracks.

Here it is(600 bytes): https://stash.reaper.fm/9333/toolbar-...n_R402pre2.zip

Copy the ReaperMenuSet file in that Zip to your Menuset directory that is inside the Reaper resource directory, where all your config stuff and themes live. On OSX, just as in Windows, that resource directory is exposed with "Options/Show REAPER resource path in explorer/finder".

It uses toolbar slot 1. If you'd like it to use another, just edit the file with a text editor. The file line indicates which slot it uses.

Here's a shot of it:

One word of advice on Reapers autoamtion. Be very, very careful and test your workflow before you commit. Many ideas were taken from Sonic Foundry Vegas, which quite frankly was at the bottom end of the professional spectrum in terms of automation recording.

One more thing. Reaper writes automation in Latch, Touch and WRITE even when transport is stopped. They just added an option, which is on by default thankfully, that a transition point just before your transport position is inserted.

In this example, I'm moving the fader up and down. Transport is in STOP mode, automation mode is on Latch.

This looks like it's made for people who enter automation with a fader or knob, one step at a time, for which this is fine. For most mixers, it's a goddam nightmare, because the "Automation recording return speed" (Match out time for Touch) is NOT RESPECTED, which is what realtime-automation recording requires. You can actually screw up your entire mix this way by scewing your envelopes, and it produces more work to make it safe.

I'm holding back on major complaints until they tackle the big automation stuff(see below). Reaper has no Match Out command anyway, which wouldn't work here. Then I'll ask for Reaper to default to respecting the "Automation recording return speed" or Match Out time. For me, I'd actually prefer it not writing anything at all if Transport is in STOP mode. Safer.

On second thought...

Last edited by airon; 08-07-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:39 PM   #15
dandriko

I had the same problem,

tried to load a .avi file and got error message.

Works fine in the 32 bit.
Is it possible to have a movie frame track in Reaper? To view movie frames in the timeline?

Thank you,
D
dandriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:58 PM   #16
ElCongelador

Quote:
I don't know, since I have no access to a 64-bit OSX system.

What version of FFMPEG works with what kind of Quicktime files(codec) on Reaper x64 for OSX x64 ? What settings did you pick in the Preferences/Video page ?

I'll put those details in to the reference post, and include it in the WIKI later on as well.
I've got .mov and .mp4 containers with h264 streams inside working.

Here's what Reaper (Source properties) says:
Using FFmpeg DLL decoder v52.99.1 (--enable-libmp3lame --enable-shared --enable-libx264 --enable-gpl)

Heres the ffmpeg version output:
FFmpeg version SVN-r25942, Copyright (c) 2000-2010 the FFmpeg developers
built on Dec 13 2010 00:40:27 with gcc 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5664)
configuration: --enable-libmp3lame --enable-shared --enable-libx264 --enable-gpl
libavutil 50.34. 0 / 50.34. 0
libavcore 0.16. 0 / 0.16. 0
libavcodec 52.99. 1 / 52.99. 1
libavformat 52.88. 0 / 52.88. 0
libavdevice 52. 2. 2 / 52. 2. 2
libavfilter 1.69. 0 / 1.69. 0
libswscale 0.12. 0 / 0.12. 0

As you can see, I'm using an FFmpeg version from last December; I guess newer versions would work, too.

Now using Reaper64 v4.01 (v3.7x prior to that) on OSX 10.6.8

My video preferences are all default, didn't touch them ("Use OS video decoding instead of FFmpeg when possible" is of course disabled).
Old 08-07-2011, 07:16 PM   #17
ElCongelador

Quote:
I tried this just now, and it still does not work. There were many other files included in the package I downloaded. I tried moving over just the .dylib files first, tested, and then moved everything else to the same directory, tested, and still nothing.

Do you have this currently working on OS X 64 bit? If so, is it possible to see a screenshot of what your Reaper library folders look like? Video Settings, etc?

64 bit would help me out so much for this project, as I could use all 8 gigs of RAM i have in my system. If I can't get it working, I'll just have to use 32 bit Reaper and wait for Cockos to figure this out.

(I can't expect perfect performance, I know... Reaper for 64 bit OS X is still in beta.)
I'm runnig OSX 10.6.8. Haven't tried Lion yet.
All my Reaper video settings are default... didn't touch any of them.

Try this:
Put all .dylib files into /usr/local/lib (that's where I have them). Then restart Reaper, if it's running.

(I see the Finder hides that directory, you got to copy the files via the terminal. Ask if you need help with this.)

If that still doesn't work and you really want follow up on this, either send me your video file to check with my setup, or I'll send you my libraries (if I can pick the right ones...never moved an ffmpeg build including all dependencies to another system).
Old 08-08-2011, 08:12 AM   #18
analogexplosions

Quote:
I'm runnig OSX 10.6.8. Haven't tried Lion yet.
All my Reaper video settings are default... didn't touch any of them.

Try this:
Put all .dylib files into /usr/local/lib (that's where I have them). Then restart Reaper, if it's running.

(I see the Finder hides that directory, you got to copy the files via the terminal. Ask if you need help with this.)

If that still doesn't work and you really want follow up on this, either send me your video file to check with my setup, or I'll send you my libraries (if I can pick the right ones...never moved an ffmpeg build including all dependencies to another system).
Yeah, I'm still not having any luck with any sort of video import. I've never copied any files via Terminal before, so i'd probably need some guidance.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:48 AM   #19
Nick Morris

Video here works great. MOV, h264, AVI, etc. all working as expected on OSX 64
Nick Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:04 PM   #20
ElCongelador

Quote:
Yeah, I'm still not having any luck with any sort of video import. I've never copied any files via Terminal before, so i'd probably need some guidance.
If you've never done this it's easier to show all hidden directories and files in finder (got to change a setting via the terminal for this):
- open a terminal, enter these commands:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES
killall Finder

- Finder should now restart; click on "Macintosh HD" (or whatever the name of your harddisk), you should be able to navigate into the directory usr/lib; copy the .dylib files into this directory

- you can now hide system directories/files again, if you want to:
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles NO
killall Finder

Be careful, Finder hides this stuff for a reason: if you delete or overwrite system files you could wreck your system.

Last edited by ElCongelador; 08-08-2011 at 11:09 PM. Reason: added warning
Old 08-09-2011, 10:01 AM   #21
analogexplosions

Quote:
If you've never done this it's easier to show all hidden directories and files in finder (got to change a setting via the terminal for this):

killall Finder

- Finder should now restart; click on "Macintosh HD" (or whatever the name of your harddisk), you should be able to navigate into the directory usr/lib; copy the .dylib files into this directory

killall Finder

Be careful, Finder hides this stuff for a reason: if you delete or overwrite system files you could wreck your system.

Thanks for the help on moving these things.

Video import still does not work though... I have Reaper's settings using FFmpeg only. (OS [quicktime] is unchecked)

I have no idea why my system is acting differently than anyone else's.

I'm on a late 2009 13" MBP, 64 bit snow leopard. 64 bit audio works for me 100%, i just can't for the life of me get ANY video in here. I've spent lots of time with Handbrake trying out different codecs for the video trying to see if I can get ANYTHING to work, but nothing is.

Chances are, its something really stupid that i'm overlooking.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:02 AM   #22
analogexplosions

Quote:
It's fine. I've added a few commands from the SWS extension that allow me to arm and disarm stuff on selected tracks, such as volume, pan, plugin. It doesn't have the feedback the Protools automation panel has, but it's better than nothing. I'm still testing. Next I'll add the command to show all active envelopes for selected tracks.

Here it is(600 bytes): https://stash.reaper.fm/9333/toolbar-...n_R402pre2.zip

Copy the ReaperMenuSet file in that Zip to your Menuset directory that is inside the Reaper resource directory, where all your config stuff and themes live. On OSX, just as in Windows, that resource directory is exposed with "Options/Show REAPER resource path in explorer/finder".

It uses toolbar slot 1. If you'd like it to use another, just edit the file with a text editor. The file line indicates which slot it uses.

Here's a shot of it:

One word of advice on Reapers autoamtion. Be very, very careful and test your workflow before you commit. Many ideas were taken from Sonic Foundry Vegas, which quite frankly was at the bottom end of the professional spectrum in terms of automation recording.

One more thing. Reaper writes automation in Latch, Touch and WRITE even when transport is stopped. They just added an option, which is on by default thankfully, that a transition point just before your transport position is inserted.

In this example, I'm moving the fader up and down. Transport is in STOP mode, automation mode is on Latch.

This looks like it's made for people who enter automation with a fader or knob, one step at a time, for which this is fine. For most mixers, it's a goddam nightmare, because the "Automation recording return speed" (Match out time for Touch) is NOT RESPECTED, which is what realtime-automation recording requires. You can actually screw up your entire mix this way by scewing your envelopes, and it produces more work to make it safe.

I'm holding back on major complaints until they tackle the big automation stuff(see below). Reaper has no Match Out command anyway, which wouldn't work here. Then I'll ask for Reaper to default to respecting the "Automation recording return speed" or Match Out time. For me, I'd actually prefer it not writing anything at all if Transport is in STOP mode. Safer.

On second thought...
Thanks for this toolbar! This will help speed up workflow for sure. It is a HUGE step in the right direction.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:17 AM   #23
Musicophile

Default Yeah !

Quote:

killall Finder

killall Finder

Thanks ! It works with .avi .mov and .mp4 !

Be careful to quit and restart reaper when you add a new video item in the time-line.

Thanks a lot .
Musicophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:05 AM   #24
obijohn

Quote:
Video import still does not work though...

I recently had this same problem after upgrading to 4.x (had been using the last 3.x build for some time, just because I was afraid something might break...)

Funny thing was, even after going back to 3.x and loading an old project with video that *used* to work, it no longer did. I tried everything I could think of, all the ffmpeg tips about moving to different locations, etc etc

Finally out of frustration, I just deleted ~/Library/Application Support/REAPER

You know what? Video now works! I had never cleaned out that folder before and I've been using reaper since the early 2.x days. Evidently, there is some conflict being created from something old in that folder. It wasn't old copies of ffmpeg, there was always only one copy in UserPlugins, I don't know what it was.

I backed up my fx chains and presets before trashing that folder, and restoring them didn't mess up the video playback. Who knows what it was.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:32 AM   #25
Morpion

Just to check something - even with the latest ffmpeg installed, does an mp4 video still open up with the 32 bit bridge in OSX 64 bit Reaper? It does here, but I'm not sure if it's something I've done wrong or if it's just the way it is.

I've not used video in Reaper yet but it works now after initially just showing a blank screen (moving the dylib file into the usr/local/lib folder worked; thanks ElCongelador!). Just unsure if there's any way to not have the video channel use the 32 bridge, if it can be avoided?
Old 08-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #26
hecksome

Hello,
New user, hoping to switch from Pro Tools. I primarily do music for tv, and need to use REAPER 64 to make the switch worth while. I'm on a Mac, and have installed the ffmpeg.dylib plus all the dylib files from the folder named "ffmpeg-r25943-swscale-r32676-macosx64-shared"from this link: http://ffmpeg.arrozcru.org/autobuild...cosx64/shared/

When I play a video it freezes after a second. The same video plays fine in REAPER 32.

My video source properties are:
Length: 0:16.783
Video: 720x576@29.97fps, Aspect=1.00, Decoding format=YUY2
Audio: 48000Hz 2ch 16bps

Using Quicktime decoder (bridged)

This means my ffmpeg plugin isn't doing anything, right?

The instructions in this thread have said install the ffmpeg into: home>library>application support>reaper>userplugins

but my REAPER app support is here:
home>USERS>myusername>library>application support>repear>userplugins

Any ideas? I've tried dragging it into the other application support folder, but that didn't seem to fix anything.

Drooling over the features in REAPER, hope I can get video working so I can use it.

Thanks!
hecksome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:31 PM   #27
hecksome

Oh yeah, and "use OS video decoding instead of FFmpeg when possible is NOT checked...
hecksome is offline   Reply With Quote