Human being with feelings

My point of view is there is a lot of good lv2 plugins,
atm, the only solution to use them in Reaper is Carla, and it's very
heavy cpu-usage on big session. So, Reaplugs and JS are good
alternative, and with some LinuxVST (zamplugins, UHE, ZynAddSubFx,
Helm, OvertoneDSP and more), it's fine. You're right, it misses Kontakt,
and Melodyne too (I never used Autotune). So, it's seems
simpler for me that one or two team's devs do the job for Linux than
make a bridge which maybe will not work for all VST.
And, the big mistake Daws-developers made porting their Daw for Linux
(Bitwig, Tracktion) is the non-integration of LV2, imho.
Once more, I can't understand the interest of using Windows VST on Linux,
it works nicely on Windows. Linux misses Kontakt, or a sampler as good,
but running Windows VST is not a safe way for long term.
sub26nico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:00 AM   #402
osxmidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub26nico View Post
My point of view is there is a lot of good lv2 plugins,
atm, the only solution to use them in Reaper is Carla, and it's very
heavy cpu-usage on big session. So, Reaplugs and JS are good
alternative, and with some LinuxVST (zamplugins, UHE, ZynAddSubFx,
Helm, OvertoneDSP and more), it's fine. You're right, it misses Kontakt,
and Melodyne too (I never used Autotune). So, it's seems
simpler for me that one or two team's devs do the job for Linux than
make a bridge which maybe will not work for all VST.
And, the big mistake Daws-developers made porting their Daw for Linux
(Bitwig, Tracktion) is the non-integration of LV2, imho.
Once more, I can't understand the interest of using Windows VST on Linux,
it works nicely on Windows. Linux misses Kontakt, or a sampler as good,
but running Windows VST is not a safe way for long term.
I think the main reason is that lv2 support is something that Bitwig etc were not coded for and to include support for lv2 takes more work and the Bitwig devs probably have a lot of things to work on like new features and releases etc.

Ardour has had a lot of time to support lv2 and it started on Linux, but Ardour took ages as far as I know to support Linux vst's and they still don't seem to support drag and drop with Linux vst's.

NI's Kontakt and FM8 run very well with vst bridges with Linux Reaper etc believe it or not.

In the Windows thread there is a test I did with around 20 instances of FM8 using LinVst and Wine and a buffer size of 32 samples with a M-Audio pci card on a quad core with no hassles.

20 instances of NI's FM8 and getting 1.3ms latency at 48000Hz/32 samples and 0.6ms at 96000Hz/32 samples with no xruns with Ubuntu Studio 16.10 with the real time kernel and LinVst.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=193761

The trouble with Kontakt was the reg which NI changed to Native Access and that wouldn't work because of a wine bug (that I've just detailed and hopefully fixed) but other than that Kontakt and other NI plugins run great with LinVst (LinVst is what I've tested Kontakt with, I don't know about the other windows vst bridges).

The main problem with windows vst's at the moment are the plugins that use the d2d1 dll which is not yet complete in wine but will be one day.

Last edited by osxmidi; 03-08-2018 at 09:09 AM.
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:35 AM   #403
sub26nico

Ok, I'll give a try to Wine 3, but should I need WineAsio with LinVst ?
If can run Kontakt on Linux, it could be a good thing, cause I don't use
OSX anymore. Only Kontakt is missing for me.

I understand it's a huge work to implement lv2 in a Daw,
but I still think it's a suicide to port a Daw on Linux without LV2,
the standard for plugins on GNU/Linux system.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:54 AM   #404
clepsydrae

Just wanted to take a moment to applaud osxmidi and Jack and olilarkin and youlean and Cockos and everyone else that are near-singlehandedly moving mountains in the linux DAW world. (At least this corner of it.) Whatever the eventual combination of solutions ends up being, and however the scene evolves, it'll get there because a few determined and smart people put in the elbow grease to make it happen.
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:02 AM   #405
David Else

Quote:
Just to give the opposite point of view, I have no desire whatsoever to see LV2 in Reaper. It is just another obsolete technology to bog down Linux development. VST3 is now an open standard with Linux compatibility and the obvious choice for ongoing development.

There is no advantage whatsoever in LV2, so I see no logical reason to use it. Old plugins can be updated if they are really needed, but as far as I can see all the best plugins are VST anyway
Old 03-08-2018, 11:14 AM   #406
sub26nico

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Else View Post
Just to give the opposite point of view, I have no desire whatsoever to see LV2 in Reaper. It is just another obsolete technology to bog down Linux development. VST3 is now an open standard with Linux compatibility and the obvious choice for ongoing development.
For VST3, a lot of devs (on Windows or MacOS) doesn't want to go this way,
open or not. And LV2 bogging down Linux, funny....

Quote:
There is no advantage whatsoever in LV2, so I see no logical reason to use it. Old plugins can be updated if they are really needed, but as far as I can see all the best plugins are VST anyway
Your point of view. I use LADSPA, LV2 and LinuxVST. And I choose for any situation the best tool I have, sometime it's an LV2, sometime VST, sometime
the old LADSPA...
Old 03-08-2018, 12:32 PM   #407
Jack Winter

There is another way to run lv2 in reaper, and that is the lv2vst wrapper. Again not a complete solution. but works for instance with the harrison plugins: https://github.com/x42/lv2vst/blob/master/README.md

I've asked Justin a few times about lv2 support and his answer has been meh. There are design differences between reaper and the lv2 format, for instance changing samplerate in the project would require reloading all the plugins as there is no lv2 support for it... I assume that meh in this context means that it would require a redesign of reaper so will be a lot of work for not all that much benefit. Personally I'm sure it will happen some day, the question being when.. I'm equally sure that it would already have happened, if it was easy to do, and wouldn't have repercussions on the rest of reaper's plugin support...

We're still a little bit in a chicken and egg situation when it comes to plugins on linux... So far there is the reversed engineered vst2 which are most linux vst plugins. Then the new officially supported vst3, which have hardly any plugins (the only ones I know of are the u-he eternal beta). Paul of ardour told me the other day that he has no plans to implement vst3 support...

Then the native formats, dssi, ladspa, and lv2. dssi is kind of useless nowadays and there is not much purpose served in implementing it, ladspa would more or less come along for free when implementing lv2 as lv2 is ladspa v2.

There (imo) aren't all that many interesting lv2 plugins that mandates reaper, bitwig and others to implement it, but of course the user would desire support for all of them.

An unfortunate situation is that steinberg uses gtk+ in the sdk sample plugin code, but if you try to load a plugin using gtk+ v2 in a host built with gtk+ v3, it will crash, same if you load 2 plugins using the different runtime libs.. And real soon now we'll have gtk+ v4...:S One problem with commercial plugins is that you won't get the source code, so you can't build the plugin with the gtk+ version that your DAW is built. Reaper is good in this respect as you can recompile swell with either gtk+ v2 or v3, and soon with v4. Possibly some day reaper will use just xlib, but you'd still have problems loading plugins built with different versions of gtk+..:S

Regarding windows vsts, to me it's amazing that this works at all. If one takes a step back and considers what actually happens. Here we take plugin code built to run on another operating system, and we load it as a plugin to run with reaper... That is more than mindblowing...!!!

I don't think we can get away from the desire of running windows vsts as there are so many really amazing plugins that lack a linux counterpart... And most likely everyone that migrates reaper from windows/osx to linux will have favourite plugins that he'd find it hard to live without...

So either we wait for plugins devs to port to linux (which might be never), or we get proactive and make sure that we can run windows vsts too

IMO many windows vsts are more than fine with LinVst, especially if you are just mixing. If you are recording low latency live audio through them it's a bit more troublesome and prone to xruns (dropouts). One problem is the increase in execution time (in the audio thread callback) that can occur with context switches (and cache depletion), as the plugins don't really run like plugins, but rather bridged in a different process. Reaper is good for this as it has it's anticipative fx processing, without that it's possible that it wouldn't really scale to full projects running 200 windows vsts.

FWIW, I'm using fabfilter and t-racks daily for mixing needs with no big issues, though loading projects take a little bit longer. But I'm equally convinced that this can all be further improved and that wine support will become better and better.

And sadly there is nothing to take kontakt's place on linux... So if we need kontakt we can either wait for NI to port it (which might never happen), or try to make sure that it runs perfectly using some vst hosting mechanism and wine. And there really is no alternative to using wine for this...

Finally one might consider that one can probably count the active linux audio devs on one or two hands.. There is little or no monetary support from the business sector, but thankfully some commercial entities slowly starting to contribute to the ecosystem.

One interesting fact is that the waves dsp code already runs on linux, see soundgrid servers Too bad that they don't sell a linux gui for it But maybe someday they'll see a commercial interest in it...
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)

Last edited by Jack Winter; 03-09-2018 at 04:08 AM.
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:50 PM   #408
Jack Winter

Quote:
VST3 is now an open standard with Linux compatibility and the obvious choice for ongoing development.
I'd have to agree with this, in as much as it would make it easy to port projects between the 3 OSs. It would also make sense to the commercial plugin devs, to build the same code for the 3.

One could say, one format to rule them all But I'm equally sure that vst doesn't really appeal on an ethical level to the open source enthusiast..
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Old 03-08-2018, 01:13 PM   #409
Jack Winter

Quote:
Only if you'd like it as a stand alone jack client, if you only load it as a plugin then there's no need.

Edit: I mean if you want to run kontakt stand alone..

And it works better if you turn off multi cpu support in kontakt.

Last edited by Jack Winter; 03-08-2018 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:20 PM   #410
alexj

Default USB Interface for native Linux Reaper

Hi Everyone,

Are there limitations on which USB interface to use for recording? Say, would Behringer U-Phoria UMC22 2x2 USB Audio Interface (24-Bit/96kHz)work?
alexj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:43 PM   #411
clepsydrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexj View Post
Are there limitations on which USB interface to use for recording? Say, would Behringer U-Phoria UMC22 2x2 USB Audio Interface (24-Bit/96kHz)work?
AFAIK, in theory any "class compliant" audio interface will work, and I'm sure (?) the Behringer is such.

Probably there are exceptions, but I think it's a pretty safe bet. Others will correct me if I'm wrong here.
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:57 PM   #412
osxmidi

Quote:
If can run Kontakt on Linux, it could be a good thing, cause I don't use
OSX anymore. Only Kontakt is missing for me.

Wineasio doesn't get used because LinVst is coupled to the Linux daws audio output just like a Linux vst would be.

Kontakt can run but Native Access doesn't with the current Wine version and the ideal would be to get the Native Access bugfix into Wine 3.4 but I don't know if that is going to happen.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:44 AM   #413
bulevardi

I used to be a Reaper user, a very happy one, as it was my favourite daw until now.

But for some reason, my Windows crashed and couldn't even reïnstall the recovery of it... so I switched to Linux Mint last month.

I could run Reaper via Wine and/or PlayOnLinux, but not everything worked as it should.
Also, my favourite VST's: Synth1 (ran with bugs) and Vandal amp (didn't even open) were lost because of that.

I'm not trying to use Ardour, less userfriendly. And have same problem running Synth1, and Vandal can't be run... looking for alternatives for my plugins.

Hopefully someday Reaper makes a Linux native version ...
Looking forward to the future!

Just wanted to say Thank You, being able to use Reaper for about a year, created 4 nice elektronic tracks with it, learned a lot about music last year... happy customer though....
Old 03-09-2018, 10:53 AM   #414
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulevardi View Post
Hopefully someday Reaper makes a Linux native version ...
Looking forward to the future!
FWIW they already did... It's a very early test release, but most things work well. Have a look at the link in my signature for some more information about it.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:50 AM   #415
swindus

I use the Linux version of Reaper with a lot of MIDI hardware and try to rename the technical names of the available MIDI interfaces. This works for the current session and my names are shown in the routing dialogs of the tracks. After a reboot of the computer my edited names are gone. Is this a bug?
swindus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:51 PM   #416
sub26nico

Default ALSA-MIDI support ?

Justin, do you plan for ALSA-MIDI support ?
It would be a very useful feature for midi controllers/keyboards.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:03 PM   #417
luckyxxl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cern.th.skei View Post
a small nitpick.. text edit boxes/fields inserts AltGr as printable/editable char.. at least with norwegian keyboard layout..
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytdkut View Post
happens to me as well with en_us/international layout
Could you try my fix for this issue and report whether it works for your layouts? I have the same on a German layout.

https://github.com/luckyxxl/WDL/tree/fix_altgr

Last edited by luckyxxl; 03-20-2018 at 12:42 AM.
luckyxxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:28 PM   #418
msmucr

Default ALSA initialization - make ring buffer length optional choice

Hi,

I've finally tested Reaper build for Linux and I'm very surprised by progress and current state of that. Thank you very much Justin!

However I found one issue with its alsa-lib interface, which is rather wish or request for Justin.

It took me a while to find, why it don't work with my RME HDSPe AIO card.

This particular hardware has fixed buffer size - 16k samples per channel..
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux.../hdspm.c#n6096

In Reaper, there are manadatory blocksize (aka period size) and periods (count) parameters, so requested buffer size is then blocksize x periods.
Given to hw restriction, only usable setup there is 2048 x 8, without error during initialization.
If period count pull down menu would have an option like "not set" or "default" and there won't be specified buffer_size parameter during device initialization, it would be possible to use such hardware normally with all common blocksizes.

Other smaller issue is, not all linux hardware support native interleaved access to its device ring buffer. Some cards and audio interfaces, incl. this RME requires non-interleaved access, where all PCM samples within period for given channel are read or written sequentially before moving to another channel.
I assumed (correct me, if I'm wrong), according to non-working direct access to device via hw: alsa plugin (default choice from pull-down menu), that Reaper always use interleaved rw access.
Even if there isn't any option to choose particular access mode, there's workaround, which isn't so obvious at first look. Device text for from pull down menu could be further edited, so when device name is changed to plughw:card_number or plughw:card_name, then it will use
alsa-lib automatically handles conversion of access mode.
In my case, plughw is being accessed via default interleaved rw and then via non-interlaved mmap to real device.

Thanks again,

Michal

Last edited by msmucr; 03-19-2018 at 06:02 PM. Reason: incomplete post, forum maintenance ;)
msmucr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:36 PM   #419
kytdkut

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyxxl View Post
Could you try my fix for this issue and report whether it works for your layouts? I have the same on a German layout.

I replaced /usr/lib/REAPER/libSwell.so with the one you attached and I keep having the issue
kytdkut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:41 AM   #420
luckyxxl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytdkut View Post
I replaced /usr/lib/REAPER/libSwell.so with the one you attached and I keep having the issue
Whoops, sorry, seems like I was too asleep the other day and uploaded the broken build...

Please, try this one
Attached Files
File Type: zip libSwell.so.zip (298.3 KB, 119 views)
Old 03-20-2018, 01:10 AM   #421
jiff 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
Just wanted to take a moment to applaud osxmidi and Jack and olilarkin and youlean and Cockos and everyone else that are near-singlehandedly moving mountains in the linux DAW world. (At least this corner of it.) Whatever the eventual combination of solutions ends up being, and however the scene evolves, it'll get there because a few determined and smart people put in the elbow grease to make it happen.
This goes for me as well, You guys are doing a very fine job!!.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:58 AM   #422
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
Hi,

I've finally tested Reaper build for Linux and I'm very surprised by progress and current state of that. Thank you very much Justin!

However I found one issue with its alsa-lib interface, which is rather wish or request for Justin.

It took me a while to find, why it don't work with my RME HDSPe AIO card.

This particular hardware has fixed buffer size - 16k samples per channel..
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux.../hdspm.c#n6096

In Reaper, there are manadatory blocksize (aka period size) and periods (count) parameters, so requested buffer size is then blocksize x periods.
Given to hw restriction, only usable setup there is 2048 x 8, without error during initialization.
If period count pull down menu would have an option like "not set" or "default" and there won't be specified buffer_size parameter during device initialization, it would be possible to use such hardware normally with all common blocksizes.

Other smaller issue is, not all linux hardware support native interleaved access to its device ring buffer. Some cards and audio interfaces, incl. this RME requires non-interleaved access, where all PCM samples within period for given channel are read or written sequentially before moving to another channel.
I assumed (correct me, if I'm wrong), according to non-working direct access to device via hw: alsa plugin (default choice from pull-down menu), that Reaper always use interleaved rw access.
Even if there isn't any option to choose particular access mode, there's workaround, which isn't so obvious at first look. Device text for from pull down menu could be further edited, so when device name is changed to plughw:card_number or plughw:card_name, then it will use
alsa-lib automatically handles conversion of access mode.
In my case, plughw is being accessed via default interleaved rw and then via non-interlaved mmap to real device.

Thanks again,

Michal
Hmm, REAPER's ALSA driver tries to use interleaved first, but if that fails it falls back to non-interleaved. I have a RME HDSP 9652 (old)PCI card which works well with the driver.
Code:
        if (snd_pcm_hw_params_set_access(pcm_handle, hwparams, SND_PCM_ACCESS_RW_INTERLEAVED) < 0)
        {
                m_interleaved=false;
                if (snd_pcm_hw_params_set_access(pcm_handle, hwparams, SND_PCM_ACCESS_RW_NONINTERLEAVED) < 0)
Then, when it needs to read samples (and in non-interleaved mode), it uses:
Code:
snd_pcm_readn(pcm_handle,list,flen);
and similarly, to write:
Code:
snd_pcm_writen(pcm_handle,list,flen);
Is it possible that one needs to use the mmap interface rather than snd_pcm_{read/write}n?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:00 AM   #423
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Justin, do you plan for ALSA-MIDI support ?
It would be a very useful feature for midi controllers/keyboards.
Eventually, but for now use JACK instead!
Old 03-20-2018, 07:13 AM   #424
Justin
Administrator

Quote:

Thanks, I've implemented a similar (but slightly more extensive) change into the WDL repositories (and next reaper build).
Old 03-20-2018, 12:02 PM   #425
kytdkut

Quote:
Whoops, sorry, seems like I was too asleep the other day and uploaded the broken build...

Please, try this one
it works! no more broken characters
kytdkut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:29 PM   #426
luckyxxl

kytdkut Thanks for testing

Justin Thanks for the decent fix. Looking good!
Old 03-21-2018, 07:20 AM   #427
msmucr

Justin,

thank you for the reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Hmm, REAPER's ALSA driver tries to use interleaved first, but if that fails it falls back to non-interleaved. I have a RME HDSP 9652 (old)PCI card which works well with the driver.
Code:
        if (snd_pcm_hw_params_set_access(pcm_handle, hwparams, SND_PCM_ACCESS_RW_INTERLEAVED) < 0)
        {
                m_interleaved=false;
                if (snd_pcm_hw_params_set_access(pcm_handle, hwparams, SND_PCM_ACCESS_RW_NONINTERLEAVED) < 0)
Then, when it needs to read samples (and in non-interleaved mode), it uses:
Code:
snd_pcm_readn(pcm_handle,list,flen);
and similarly, to write:
Code:
snd_pcm_writen(pcm_handle,list,flen);
My bad.. fallback to non-interleaved mode is working and Reaper is accessing the device in non-interleaved mode.
It was just my bad initial guess, because I had glitchy playback and only in first channel (regardless of routing to 16ch device), until I used mentioned plughw alsa plugin.

Previously running kernel didn't have CONFIG_SND_VERBOSE_PROCFS=y option, so I couldn't verify exact access mode, which was used during playback (there weren't usual ..pcm0c/sub0/hw_params files). Now I changed that and verified, the fallback is working well. I also tested, that if unsupported mode is being used, it won't open the device at all.. so there's no change to have glitchy playback just because of that.

Quote:
Is it possible that one needs to use the mmap interface rather than snd_pcm_{read/write}n?
Yes it looks like that, although device advertise itself as capable to use snd_pcm_{read/write}n..

Here's its dump.
Code:
--------------------
ACCESS:  MMAP_NONINTERLEAVED RW_NONINTERLEAVED
FORMAT:  S32_LE
SUBFORMAT:  STD
SAMPLE_BITS: 32
FRAME_BITS: [320 512]
CHANNELS: [10 16]
RATE: [32000 192000]
PERIOD_TIME: (166 128000]
PERIOD_SIZE: [32 4096]
PERIOD_BYTES: [1280 262144]
PERIODS: [4 512]
BUFFER_TIME: (85333 512000]
BUFFER_SIZE: 16384
BUFFER_BYTES: [655360 1048576]
TICK_TIME: ALL
--------------------
there's apparently some bug with rw access at HDSPe AIO at its driver.. because, as I've mentioned, all audio goes just to first playback channel, no matter what.
I need to ask someone over alsa mailing list about that hardware and possibly write some simple test app just to try different access modes and config options there.
This is definitely not Reaper problem, I also verified what's passed to alsa using its file plugin, which can be set to write all audio to WAV and then redirect (with the same rw access mode) it to audio interface.
Such captured audio in the file is intact and sounds as expected, when playing via mmap non-interleaved mode.. (for example using aplay with appropriate switches or when using Reaper via plughw, which also uses mmap access internally).

However I found another issue (regardless of rw or mmap access via plughw), which is causing those glitches. If I set input channel count to 0 in Reaper (that's how I initially tested it), it plays fine. As soon as I enable inputs, it has some sync problem.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...md_Rk9PcTYTd3I (short wavpack of captured 16ch audio).
This doesn't happen, when I tested the card via jackd (which also use mmap access).

Anyway, I will be very happy and grateful, if you can add that option to open the device without mandatory period count. Possibly it would be also nice to have mmap option, if that won't complicate stuff so much, because that would allow to access the card directly, without being affected by that routing bug.
Maybe then if I would access the card with some sane period size and via mmap, it will also help with that glitch issue.

Speaking of HDSP9652 vs HDSPe AIO.. I have never used RME PCI cards at Linux, but those two has different drivers, with different capabilities.. and according to what I gathered, the older one is kind of less problematic and mature, compatiblity with latter one was added to existing HDSP MADI driver. Besides other things, samplerate changes has to be done just from ctl interface (like via alsamixer or amixer commands), there's no way to follow rate parameter from acessed pcm devices.

Michal
Old 03-23-2018, 12:06 AM   #428
swindus

Quote:
Originally Posted by swindus View Post
I use the Linux version of Reaper with a lot of MIDI hardware and try to rename the technical names of the available MIDI interfaces. This works for the current session and my names are shown in the routing dialogs of the tracks. After a reboot of the computer my edited names are gone. Is this a bug?
The reason for this is a changed order/naming of the MIDI interfaces and ports after a reboot. Looks like the system does initialize or name the ports in a different order. I use a2jmidid to get Jack MIDI ports from all my ALSA MIDI ports. a2jmidid has an option -u which forces a2jmidid to generate non-unique port names and with this option enabled all my MIDI ports in Reaper are always the same and named correctly. The complete command for starting a2jmidid is 'a2jmidid -e -u'.
swindus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 03:02 PM   #429
msmucr

Default RME HDSPe AIO - ALSA update

Thank you Justin for adding of memory mapped access to alsa devices in recent builds (5.78 rc4 and 5.79 pre1).
Now it plays directly without use of plughw conversion from alsa-lib.

Although no matter what I tried, there's still problem with that glitchy playback, when inputs are enabled.
This has to be somewhat related to specific combination of the way, how Reaper accessing the device and particular RME driver (snd-hdspm) on AIO.
I grabbed also my old EMU 404 USB card (it uses standard snd-usb-audio UAC module with some specific initialization quirks) and it's flawless when using both inputs and outputs. Similarly like HDSPe AIO via JACK (which is of course kind of workaround, although I would prefer native alsa access, as it generally gives the best performance).

Somewhat puzzling issue. Hopefully this week I will manage to pull out HDSPe AES from friend's studio computer at least for one evening . This card employs the same driver (snd-hdspm), but it doesn't have fixed buffer size and there is a couple of other minor differences.
Without that comparison, I'm not able to isolate, whether it's affecting whole module or this is just interaction with AIO, it would be quite nice to know, before further hacking..
Similarly I'm interested, whether different hardware affects rw non-interleaved access somehow.

All the best,

Michal
Old 03-26-2018, 09:34 PM   #430
dach

Sorry this is a little off topic. I'm somewhat new to Reaper and just browsing this thread.

I have not tried to use Reaper on Linux yet although I do have 3 boxes and a server... I do have it up and running on both win & mac test machines and have been dealing with the learning curve attempting to get to where I can actually use it in a production environment... two things did keep me away until recently. Midi - especially the Notation editor - and the way Reaper deals with or didn't deal with VEPro.... However my question is more about VEPro "like" behavior ...

I'd love to one day have a fully functioning native Linux DAW but it seems to me servers running linux would be IDEAL to use as slave computers for sample storage and playback. I'm salivating just thinking about it... I know there is ReaMote and they've already placed some excellent effort in that general direction but does anyone know of any effort placed in the direction I'm referring to... or have any of you tried to use your linux boxes as slaves for Reaper/ReaMote or something similar? I do realize so many hardware manufacturers don't have native linux drivers etc but to me - this seems like a natural thing for both Reaper and Linux - Audio over LAN- as it seems they have already placed some significant effort in this direction already.

any comments are appreciated.

Thanks and sorry to be OT.
dach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 03:16 AM   #431
eric71

Quote:
Originally Posted by dach View Post
Sorry this is a little off topic. I'm somewhat new to Reaper and just browsing this thread.

I have not tried to use Reaper on Linux yet although I do have 3 boxes and a server... I do have it up and running on both win & mac test machines and have been dealing with the learning curve attempting to get to where I can actually use it in a production environment... two things did keep me away until recently. Midi - especially the Notation editor - and the way Reaper deals with or didn't deal with VEPro.... However my question is more about VEPro "like" behavior ...

I'd love to one day have a fully functioning native Linux DAW but it seems to me servers running linux would be IDEAL to use as slave computers for sample storage and playback. I'm salivating just thinking about it... I know there is ReaMote and they've already placed some excellent effort in that general direction but does anyone know of any effort placed in the direction I'm referring to... or have any of you tried to use your linux boxes as slaves for Reaper/ReaMote or something similar? I do realize so many hardware manufacturers don't have native linux drivers etc but to me - this seems like a natural thing for both Reaper and Linux - Audio over LAN- as it seems they have already placed some significant effort in this direction already.

any comments are appreciated.

Thanks and sorry to be OT.
You might check out netjack related comments from alextone on this page of an older Linux REAPER thread: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....t=alex&page=12
eric71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:39 AM   #432
dach

Thank you Eric! I'm behind the curve... Thanks for finding that for me. Definitely a few things I hadn't considered and a few things definitely worth trying when I get up the courage... Thanks again.
dach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 04:52 AM   #433
sub26nico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Eventually, but for now use JACK instead!
I already do it. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:38 AM   #434
MrHaroldA

Reaper for Linux runs really nice, but I need a realistic drum kit I can control with my Roland SPD-11 through Midi.

On Windows, there are numerous options, from expensive to free.

Since Reaper doesn't support LV2, the options are somewhat limited. I compiled DrumGizmo as VST3, but that crashes after a few hours work and I need to restart Reaper to get it working again. I tried to get avldrums.lv2 working with the lv2vst wrapper, but even if I get that to work, I probably don't like the sound of the kits of that drum plugin.

Anybody here have some suggestions for a realistic drum kit sampler with Midi input capability?
MrHaroldA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:49 AM   #435
sub26nico

I use DrumGizmo as lv2 and avldrumkits in Reaper with CarlaVST as host (http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/Applications:Carla).
It works fine. If you're looking for good drums, you can take a look at :
http://www.tchackpoum.fr/

A lot of samples with tracktemplates, using ReaSamplomatic5000.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:27 AM   #436
MrHaroldA

Quote:
I use DrumGizmo as lv2 and avldrumkits in Reaper with CarlaVST as host (http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/Applications:Carla).
It works fine. If you're looking for good drums, you can take a look at :
http://www.tchackpoum.fr/

A lot of samples with tracktemplates, using ReaSamplomatic5000.
Tnx, I'll look into that shortly.

PS: I thought ReaSamplomatic5000 doesn't support random samples per velocity layer, is that true?
Old 04-06-2018, 01:41 AM   #437
sub26nico

I think so, but not sure.
But RS5000 support round robin.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:38 PM   #438
reddiesel41264

Default Git Version Control

Just wondered if anyone is using git for version control with their Reaper projects? I noticed that the RPP format is text editor friendly so figured it would work with git and so far it seems to be.

It's a little slow though because small changes in a project appear to require a lot of deletions and insertions as far as git is concerned but just for keeping track of major versions rather than small changes it seems good.

I've set git to ignore multi-media, backup, and undo files.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:12 PM   #439
osxmidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHaroldA View Post
Reaper for Linux runs really nice, but I need a realistic drum kit I can control with my Roland SPD-11 through Midi.

On Windows, there are numerous options, from expensive to free.

Since Reaper doesn't support LV2, the options are somewhat limited. I compiled DrumGizmo as VST3, but that crashes after a few hours work and I need to restart Reaper to get it working again. I tried to get avldrums.lv2 working with the lv2vst wrapper, but even if I get that to work, I probably don't like the sound of the kits of that drum plugin.

Anybody here have some suggestions for a realistic drum kit sampler with Midi input capability?
I'd tend to go with DrumGizmo as a Linux native vst2.

Windows drums can be used via LinVst or whatever.

There are some other options around that use Reaper projects

(from an old post)

There is a Drumgizmo Muldjord v2 Reaper template that uses Reaper tracks instead of the Drumgizmo plugin at http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=140544

The paths are fixed and are windows paths but redirecting Reaper Linux to the Muldjord Linux paths and enabling the Search autosearch option (On successful search, autosearch for other missing files) seems to work when loading the template and it's just a case of redirecting Reaper to the drum directories (Kick, Snare etc) and then Reaper autoloads the files and then the template can be saved for Reaper Linux.

Tested the Muldjord v2 kit template with Reaper Linux and it works well but needs 4GB to load.
The template needed some file path changing which took a couple of minutes using the Search autosearch option when loading the template.

Another http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=150868 http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=150924
The SM_MegaReaper_Drumkit_Lite Reaper project loads with no file path changing and it needs 4GB of memory, the SM_MegaReaper_Drumkit needs 6GB. https://smmdrums.wordpress.com/category/reaper/

Another http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=172831 https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6K...hWSDVja1k/view (I tested this one and it works fine with the Reaper Linux Reasamplomatic with some file path changing.

Reaper BigMono drums http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=1288785
Old 04-11-2018, 12:46 AM   #440
MrHaroldA

Thanks for your elaborate answer, osxmidi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxmidi View Post
I'd tend to go with DrumGizmo as a Linux native vst2.
I'm not quite sure how I compiled DrumGizmo at the time, but the current VST I have is unstable, as it counts to infinity underruns after 5-10 minutes.

I tried the Carla FX host with the LV2 DrumGizmo yesterday, and while I really would like to not have to use external applications to work in Reaper; it worked.

Well, it worked after I discovered that I needed to arm a Reaper track to be able to monitor it's input. That was the weirdest thing I encountered in Reaper so far

DrumGizmo has lots of benifits over RS5000 as far as velocity layers, randomization, timing, feel, bleed, etc; so that's the way I would like to use it.

Let's hope that either Reaper will support LV2, or that DrumGizmo will fix their VST plugin.