Old 02-27-2015, 12:44 PM   #1
uncleswede
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper and Steinberg UR44?

Hi,

My audio interface has keeled over so I'm looking at buying a new one and the Steinberg UR44 has caught my eye.

Does anyone have any experiences (good or bad) of running Reaper over this interface that they could share?

I have seen some (unverified) comments that the mix/monitor software (which permits zero-latency monitoring) it comes bundled with may be compromised if not running Cubase...?

Cheers
CD
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:27 PM   #2
Mind Riot

I've been using the UR44 for a couple months now after my old interface developed cracks and pops that I couldn't get rid of.

It's a very nice interface, and it works flawlessly with Reaper. You have nothing to worry about.

I used it for a few weeks at least before I even downloaded Cubase at all, and it worked perfectly with no version of Cubase present on my computer whatsoever.
Mind Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 05:02 AM   #3
uncleswede

[Mind Riot]

That's very encouraging - thanks.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:02 AM   #4
Barksy

have the same interface, works fine here. if I remember if comes with some plugins too which i didn't bother registering...yet anyway
Barksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:45 AM   #5
Evan

Are the drivers stable (ASIO + general windows tasks)?

What's the latency like for realtime performance?
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:08 PM   #6
Mind Riot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
Are the drivers stable (ASIO + general windows tasks)?

What's the latency like for realtime performance?

Everything's steady as a rock here. I don't typically need real time performance for what I do, but I did mess around triggering Addictive Drums from my e-drum set and had no trouble running things at the lowest setting (either 32 or 64 samples). But I don't run a lot of synths or anything, most of the stuff I do is live, so take that for what it's worth.

My general impression of the UR44 so far is that it's well made and just does everything it's supposed to perfectly. I haven't had even the tiniest hiccup from it since I first installed it. It's really a nice piece of hardware, and it's kind of surprising to me that it's cheaper than similar offerings from Presonus and Focusrite. Seems like they all spec out very similar.
Mind Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:22 PM   #7
uncleswede

I decided to but the UR44 in the end and it is a good unit. The Steinberg (Yamaha) ASIO USB driver seems to be a lot more demanding though (in terms of CPU power) compared to my old (dead) Focusrite Saffire 6 USB interface...

My old HP, dual core laptop struggled to playback some existing projects on the UR44, the same projects having run successfully (just) on the Focusrite.

However, as it happens, I have upgraded to a quad core i7 Acer laptop which, so far, has handled everything I've thrown at it :-)
Old 12-18-2016, 08:14 PM   #8
basslines57

Default No output from UR44!

Maybe someone here can help me. I am running Reaper on a MAC and just purchased a UR44 interface. I can get input from the UR44 into reaper but no output from the UR44 to speakers or headphones.

Also I noticed that if I power down the interface it locks up my mouse and keyboard.

Any ideas?

BTW, I can get sound out when running Cubase.

Last edited by basslines57; 12-18-2016 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Additional comment
basslines57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:27 PM   #9
Sami

When I bought my ur44 in July when I had a mac, I had to update the firmware to the latest version which was released in 2014.

Also check the CC switch on the back is set to on.
Sami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 05:41 AM   #10
basslines57

Default Still no output to UR44

Checked that but still luck. When I check the Audio/Midi setup all the controls are greyed out.

When I test the output from the MAC "Sounds" I can get output only from the UR44FX Mix and it sounds terrible.
basslines57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:11 AM   #11
Rosetree

Default Urgent help needed!

Hello.

I am going to be recording a client of mine who has UR44 and I installed the driver and all that is required to use it with Reaper.

The audio interface is properly recognized and the sound from my condenser microphone from the designated channel goes into Reaper as well.

But, there is one phenomenon that I just don't know how to solve.

I am recording an opera singer with a karaoke track and when I enable the record button for the vocal track, the signal of the karaoke track goes into the vocal track as well.

Since I haven't routed the karaoke track to the vocal track, I am at a loss here.
I usually use RME Hammerfall at home and this problem has never occurred before.Since I have traveled literally hundreds of kilometers just for this recording session, I don't have the access to it at where I am currently at.

The only thing I need to solve is this very issue, so if anybody has a clue as to how to go about solving this issue, then I would really appreciate it!

Thank you and I will be waiting for your input!!
Rosetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:28 AM   #12
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosetree View Post
I am going to be recording a client of mine who has UR44 ...
... But, there is one phenomenon that I just don't know how to solve.

I am recording an opera singer with a karaoke track and when I enable the record button for the vocal track, the signal of the karaoke track goes into the vocal track as well....
Looks like the UR44 has a loopback function (accessible via the control panel software of the audio interface) which might be enabled.
More info in the UR44 manual available on the manufacturer page ...
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:33 AM   #13
Rosetree

Yes, thank you!!

I actually just figured that out before I saw your post by accident, but your help is greatly appreciated!

I was thinking maybe the particular piece of UR44 I am working with now has a fatal internal error or something.

So good to have a place to rely on at times like this.

Thank you!!
Rosetree is offline   Reply With Quote