Old 09-15-2006, 08:05 AM   #1
NCNDude
Human being with feelings

Default 1.13 and UAD Problems (FIXED)

Heya,

XP SP2
Presonus Firepod
UAD-1 Version 4.3 software.

Installed version 1.13 Cleared cache rescanned plugs.

Exhibits Following:

1. Projects with a UAD VST plug on the master bus or a bus channel give a "UAD err=30 buffer size mismatch" now when starting playback. Removing effects from bus [group] channels or master channel seems to make it stop - mostly.

1a. Plugins do seem to still apply the effect but the results and behavior are a little "not right". Some plugs like Pultec do not seem to work with a master bus plug enabled. Others like mod filter do.

2. When configured with a UAD plug on a bus, starting playback from a blank area of the project makes a really loud annoying beeeeeep sound. Sound stops as soon as project playback advances to an actual wave object.

3. Made sure my buffer settings in UAD card configuration were higher than the reported latency size.

4. Made a new project to test. Same stuff goes on.

5. Fiddled with my presonus and Reaper settings. No joy.

No problems with my UAD and prior versions. Started using at 1.09.

Thanks
NCNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 12:05 PM   #2
Justin
Administrator

You around to test a build? =)

-Justin
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 07:53 PM   #3
NCNDude

Default Yep

Yes I am able to test. Sorry for delay just got back online.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:00 PM   #4
NCNDude

Default Tested 1.14

Looks like everything is hunky-dory. Repeated my previous tests and no more pop-box errors or problems with playback / adding plugs. Did I mention you RULE?!

Thanks
Old 09-16-2006, 04:56 PM   #5
SRR

Looks like CPU spikes are down to 13% but they aren't real spikes anymore. Reaper was reporting 30% CPU usage just for the FX used, and total CPU used was 22%. Looked on the windows CPU meter and it matched the 22% roughly, I think one of the two updates faster, reaper or windows that is....

On one of these phantom spikes I have UAD-1's LA-2A and Cambridge EQ on one of the BRADSUCKS tracks, it goes anyway when there is something on the track, I think it was the lead guitar track.
SRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 08:43 AM   #6
Mobo

Hi ! New here !
My config is :
AMD 3800+ (no dual core) 2Gb RAM, XP SP2, Fireface 800 and UAD-1 (V4.4), ATI X1600 agp gfx card.

Just got my hands on Reaper today, and been playing around for a few hours... I'm a happy bunny, because I'm a Sony Vegas enthousiast, and Reaper has the same feel, only with some ultra cool features Vegas misses. The reason I stopped using Vegas, is because it won't make friend with my UAD-1 dsp card. Pity...

Today, I was trying V1.15 I downloaded yesterday evening, and got the exact same error as NCNDude, but only when rendering... Everything plays fine in the session, but when I run a render, I got the buffer size mismatch (err 30) error message. And the rendered file is of course unusable cause some of the UAD-1 plugz have been disabled. Funny note, this is the exact same problem I got with Vegas, same error message except it was (err 3) instead of (err 30) here.
Just downloaded v1.16, same problem occurs... Justin, I understand you corrected the problem for NCNDude, but was the fix included in v1.16 ?

Also I got bugs with some Waves plug-ins (like the C1 comp) making loud distorded noises and loud beeeps in between sound bites (on a snare drum track)

Thanks for reading me ! And if these problems get solved, I'll be glad to register this ultra cool product !

Last edited by Mobo; 09-19-2006 at 09:09 AM.
Mobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 09:48 AM   #7
akoustic

i had the same happen but not necessarily related to v1.15... UAD1 working ok here (no error on render), except that i had to increase the render buffer block size for large CPU% projects and running only DX versions of the UAD plugs

- not sure if VST versions have anything to do with the error... try the same project with DX versions (long shot)
Old 09-19-2006, 10:37 AM   #8
Mobo

I tried to revert back to DX plugs when I was still using Vegas, with no luck of course... :P
If I can skip the back to DX plugs option, I'd be more than happy

hmmm... Just tried to increase the render-ahead buffer size to 800ms instead of 200ms... And it seemed to render ok ! Then I decreased to 400ms, still works ok !
And now I decreased back to 200ms... And it still works ok..!? Me puzzled...
But now i got random mismatch buffer size error while playing...
Back to 400ms... Seems smooth... I'll do some more testing tomorrow !

I'll keep you guys posted ! (now I'm all excited )
Mobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 05:04 PM   #9
Magnus

I have AMD X2 4400 dual core with UAD-1 & Powercore cards installed.

Up to v 1.11 everything runs smooth but after v.1.12 thru 1.16 I also get the [err 30] mismatch message when rendering.
Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 05:10 PM   #10
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus
I have AMD X2 4400 dual core with UAD-1 & Powercore cards installed.

Up to v 1.11 everything runs smooth but after v.1.12 thru 1.16 I also get the [err 30] mismatch message when rendering.
Go to prefs/audio and set the rendering blocksize to match your asio blocksize. I'll try a fix so you don't have to do this and post it here, but in general the problem is that UAD-1 plug-ins expect certain things, and some other plug-ins expect a different behavior, which makes it difficult...
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 05:39 PM   #11
akoustic

maybe not the best example but here's whats working for me in v1.16...

UAD Config:
Extra Buffers = 1
Limit CPU load = unchecked
MIN_GNT = 128

- min_gnt is an interesting 1 and sets the PCI bus latency higher, giving the UAD1 more time & priority on the bus, if i understand this correctly.

Reaper v1.16:
Rendering Block Size = 1024
LynxII Device ASIO = 512
DMA = off (mobo issue i'm busy with)
Buffering setup & plug settings all defualt

- had to increase the rendering block size as i was getting occasional glitches with renders of large projects using high CPU loads.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:18 AM   #12
billybk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin
Go to prefs/audio and set the rendering blocksize to match your asio blocksize.

Yep, that was the solution. I was getting the "error=30 plugins disabled" error on render also. I usually mix @ 1024 (23.2msec) and that was what my Delta 66 ASIO DMA buffer was set at. Once I changed REAPER's rendering blocksize to 1024, from it's default (256), everything rendered hunky dory. I opened the rendered 24/44 stereo wave file, in Sound Forge 8 and it played back perfectly. I used about 50%, of the available DSP, from my (2) UAD-1 cards (12 total PPI's on tracks & buses).

Cheers,

Billy Buck
billybk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 04:15 AM   #13
Magnus

Working fine now with 1536 render blocksize and the EMU card set to 16 ms (I´m running at 96k)

Thanks for you help !

/Magnus
Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote