Old 05-07-2021, 05:38 AM   #1
kgbeat
Human being with feelings

Default Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered...

Good old song which sums me up right now...

For no reason that I can discern, about six plugins which I've had for varying lengths of time have suddenly disappeared in the middle of a project. 'Disappeared' as in that Reaper is no longer seeing them - despite the fact that the files still appear too be where they have always been.

Three of them I've got back by reinstalling them but three others i.e 'Unlimited' 'Loud Max' and Sonatina Orchestra, Reaper will not see. When I try to reinstall them it just says 'files already exist'. I've done a full Reaper rescan but nothing.

I am aware of these missing plugins because they were in use in a project - my worry is that there could be more that I am not aware of.

Any thoughts please.
kgbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 06:11 AM   #2
Dr Bob

Have you used the scanning option "Scan for plugins which fail to scan"?

Press the rescan option and you can chose from the list of your plugins

dB
Dr Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:09 AM   #3
DarrenH

Shout, shout...let it all out (lol)

This happens to me from time to time with various (seemingly random) plugins, even though I've changed nothing in my configuration.

Everyone says "rescan!" without wondering why it's happening, of course rescanning doesn't help in these cases. Then after a few weeks the problem goes away.

Maybe there's some obscure, bug that's resolved in a subsequent update? Maybe how Reaper can reads the files from the VST folders is error prone, depending on something weird like how many files there are in those folders? Who knows.

Last edited by DarrenH; 05-07-2021 at 09:28 AM.
DarrenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 11:50 AM   #4
Dr Bob

It may be strange ... but I have never had this happen, and have a lot of plugins. I can understand that strange things can happen when a plugin is updated, especially if they "fix" a problem and also change the plugin Id.

Updates to Reaper (so far) have not made this happen. The only issue I have had is with Windows Update changing my default sample rate in the windows sound panel to 48k vs 44.1k.

I guess I have been lucky (so far).

dB
Old 05-08-2021, 09:41 AM   #5
kgbeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Bob View Post
Have you used the scanning option "Scan for plugins which fail to scan"?

Press the rescan option and you can chose from the list of your plugins

dB
Thanks Dr Bob but yes, I have tried this. The odd thing is that the missing plugins are not listed there!
Old 05-08-2021, 02:44 PM   #6
kgbeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenH View Post
Shout, shout...let it all out (lol)

This happens to me from time to time with various (seemingly random) plugins, even though I've changed nothing in my configuration.

Everyone says "rescan!" without wondering why it's happening, of course rescanning doesn't help in these cases. Then after a few weeks the problem goes away.

Maybe there's some obscure, bug that's resolved in a subsequent update? Maybe how Reaper can reads the files from the VST folders is error prone, depending on something weird like how many files there are in those folders? Who knows.
Looks like nobody does!
Old 05-09-2021, 12:10 PM   #7
xpander

Have you tried to open these missing plugins separately? IOW, are they missing totally from the fx folders and not available there? Or is it only that they don't load with some older projects?
xpander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 08:13 AM   #8
kgbeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
Have you tried to open these missing plugins separately? IOW, are they missing totally from the fx folders and not available there? Or is it only that they don't load with some older projects?
I've managed to get a couple back by re installing them but one that I particularly want is Sonatina Orchestra. The dll file for this is definitely there in the correct folder but doesn't show in the list of 'failed to scan'.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:41 AM   #9
Dr Bob

Ok - a heavy lifting approach.

Go to the reaper resources folder. Make a copy of reaper-vstplugins64.ini (in case of a foul up!).

Close reaper if it's open.

Find the line for your sonatina orchestra - I am assuming it will be there.

DELETE this line(s). There may be more than one entry (vst3, 32-bit and 64-bit versions!)

Save the file.

Restart reaper and do a rescan, but first make absolutely sure the PATH for the sonatina .dll is in the path list - just double check for sanity!

Reaper should scan and re-instate this plugin.

You could also do the same for the other missing plugins.

HTH

dB
Old 05-11-2021, 07:44 AM   #10
DarrenH

Hopefully it helps...it would really be great for someone to figure out why this is necessary to begin with, in cases where there have been no changes with the offending plugins.

Quote:

Go to the reaper resources folder. Make a copy of reaper-vstplugins64.ini (in case of a foul up!).

DELETE this line(s). There may be more than one entry (vst3, 32-bit and 64-bit versions!)

Save the file.

Restart reaper and do a rescan, but first make absolutely sure the PATH for the sonatina .dll is in the path list - just double check for sanity!

HTH

dB
DarrenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 05:18 AM   #11
kgbeat

Quote:

Save the file.

HTH

dB
Hi Dr Bob,

Thanks for that - but as an aging musician (born in Wakefield), I'm not sure I'm up to your heavy lifting process involving delving into the file structure!

I did try to follow your instructions but if you see the attached jpeg, you can see what I see in the resources folder. Thanks to 'Expander', prompting for file extensions I have now found the 'ini' file but cannot see anything related to the plugin....can you guide further please?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reaper resources.jpg (36.7 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by kgbeat; 05-12-2021 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Change of status
Old 05-12-2021, 05:41 AM   #12
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgbeat View Post
I did try to follow your instructions but if you see the attached jpeg, you can see what I see in the resources folder. But I can't see any 'ini' file or anything to do with the plugin.
If you are using Explorer, in the main View menu is an option to show file name extensions. You'll have to select that in order to see the whole file name, including its extension.
xpander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 07:17 AM   #13
kgbeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
If you are using Explorer, in the main View menu is an option to show file name extensions. You'll have to select that in order to see the whole file name, including its extension.
Thank you my friend - every day is a school day!
Old 05-12-2021, 08:46 AM   #14
Dr Bob

@kg Also an aging musicians! born 1950! Still learning after all these years too!. Daughter is the "real" musician, 5 years at Leeds College of Music! Now plays in bands, sax quartet, orchestras, pits and sings in musical theatre. Income from teaching as a peri. Been a hard year or so.

Once you can get into the ".ini" file, you should be able to edit the file quite easily. Just make a copy first for safety. Backup is always the buzz word around here.

dB
Old 05-15-2021, 02:40 PM   #15
kgbeat

Quote:
@kg Also an aging musicians! born 1950! Still learning after all these years too!. Daughter is the "real" musician, 5 years at Leeds College of Music! Now plays in bands, sax quartet, orchestras, pits and sings in musical theatre. Income from teaching as a peri. Been a hard year or so.

Once you can get into the ".ini" file, you should be able to edit the file quite easily. Just make a copy first for safety. Backup is always the buzz word around here.

dB
OK so I ventured into the ini file but couldn't find any trace of the Sonatina file. I also searched in the folder where Reaper looks and it wasn't there either. So I tried to reinstall it but it said 'files already exist' etc!

Doesn't make any sense and so I think I'm going to have give up on it and find an alternative for the existing project use.