Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 11-23-2010, 05:14 PM   #361
gwok
Human being with feelings

yup, perfect - oh btw - thanks for the manual hey!
gwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:45 PM   #362
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwok View Post
yup, perfect - oh btw - thanks for the manual hey!
You're welcome ... how's the nicotine withdrawal going btw? Been thru that, know what it's like.
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:05 PM   #363
gwok

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
You're welcome ... how's the nicotine withdrawal going btw? Been thru that, know what it's like.
ya - it's like MANopause,

hot flashes, cold sweats, mood swings, all in all a great time to visit the family!

it's good though - something better done sooner than later
- thanks for askin!
gwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:07 PM   #364
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwok View Post
ya - it's like MANopause,

hot flashes, cold sweats, mood swings, all in all a great time to visit the family!

it's good though - something better done sooner than later
- thanks for askin!
Hang on at it. One day you will be sipping on a glass of wine (or beer) and you will suddenly realise that you haven't even thought about a cigarette for days ... or missed them ... or suffered any withdrawal symptoms.

That day will come, trust me. Meanwhile, drink plenty of water. And stay focussed on REAPER (just to keep this post vaguely on topic )
Old 11-30-2010, 08:16 AM   #365
Sambo Rouge

Just received my copy of ReaMix today from LuLu.

It only cost a couple of quid postage and the order was expedited in three days. So I don't understand how it could be so expensive for some people in mainland Europe(I'm in the UK).

More importantly: I would like to thank Geoffrey(Francis)for a wonderful work.

When it comes to all things technical, I'm not the brightest spark in the distributor cap but Geoffrey makes it easy to read, and, more importantly --
to understand.

My work flow has already picked up in the past couple of hours thanks to this great book. Many congrats big Geoff --- well done mate.
Sambo Rouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:58 PM   #366
Link0126

saying it's $26, not 16
Link0126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:21 AM   #367
RockinRoger

Default broken link

Hi

I bought ReaMix a while back, and thought I'd start to get into it today. So I thought I'd download the sample project files but url eg: http://www.cockos.com/~glazfolk/pelverata.zip appears to be broken... tried the stash, but no luck.

Hopefully around somewhere...

Anyone?
RockinRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:27 AM   #368
avoca

Hi RockinRoger,

I think the "p" in Pelverata should be a capital "p".
i.e. the URLs are case-sensitive.

Last edited by avoca; 12-02-2010 at 08:34 AM.
avoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:34 AM   #369
RockinRoger

Quote:
Originally Posted by avoca View Post
Hi RockinRoger,

I think the "p" in Pelverata should be a capital "p".
You're right avoca. Thanks... downloading
RockinRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:33 AM   #370
ivansc

bet mine turns up AFTER Xmas
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:33 PM   #371
fsenseman

Default Missed it by that much!

I was going to order while Lulu had the special going on. Had my calendar a bit off and missed it. Guess I'll have to wait until the next one. Hopefully they have one for Christmas....

Kind Regards,
Fleet
fsenseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:35 PM   #372
Panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
I recently self-published a text book for a class I teach. I investigated printing and binding options, other online publishers and was unable to find any way to even get close to Lulu's per unit price. They absolutely demolish even DIY prices with crappier printing and inferior binding. It certainly isn't perfect but I've yet to discover or even hear of a good alternative.
Kinkos does a pretty good job. I haven't used them in a while, but their prices didn't seem to be too bad before.

I've also managed some pretty good results with DIY binding (tough as nails binding and looks almost as good as commercial), not with these manuals specifically, however I imagine similar results could be had.

Having said that, I bought ReaMix and a V2 REAPER manual from LULU and LULU does a nicer (heavier duty) cover than you might get if using Kinkos.

Anyway, just putting that out there.

If anyone is interested in doing their own binding, I'll see if I can find some links on it. It's actually a really easy thing to do. Though, now that I think about it, the spiral binding you get from LULU, or Kinkos lends itself better to manuals like ReaMix.
Panic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:24 PM   #373
Darius2301

Edit: Nevermind.

Last edited by Darius2301; 12-02-2010 at 11:46 PM.
Darius2301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:22 AM   #374
k3yPr0gg3r

Default Re: Unique ReaMix

Hi Nicholas,

Just wondered if you had any suggestions with regard to my unique arrangement I'm mixing. I'm over half way through ReaMix, (great tool by the way), but nothing I've viewed online or in any books addresses my project.
Chris Squire performed a song called "the fish" for the Roundabout album in 1971, all done with bass guitar, (except drums and perc.). I'm doing something similar, (similar 7/4 beat), but using distorted parts as well as just plain weird sounding parts.
I understand that I need to give every sound it's own space, and I'm using various techniques found in ReaMix to set space, depth, and time. Any other suggestions that you might have so I don't end up with a pile of mud?

Thanks
k3yPr0gg3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:56 AM   #375
The Telenator
Banned

Can someone explain here in this thread exactly what this new book contains that is beyond the basic ABCs of REAPER operation? Not knocking this product in any way, but I find the REAPER User Guide (especially in its latest excellently updated form) to be completely adequate. Further, I note that many users haven't got around to reading that one yet. Add a reading of REAPER with SWS and what more can one need?

So, before we pile our available literature deeper and higher, what is it that's offered in this new publication? I'm not really seeing anything 'magic' in the table of contents. Can someone enlighten me, because I'm usually so short on time I can end up feeling guilty just for spending time hanging out at this forum. At least here, I can tell myself it's good for me and helps preserve what remains of my mental health.

So, what's in this?
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:56 AM   #376
tls11823

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telenator View Post
Can someone explain here in this thread exactly what this new book contains that is beyond the basic ABCs of REAPER operation?
It's an in-depth treatment on the process of mixing songs with Reaper. It covers many of the same topics of other books I've read on mixing, but it's geared specifically to Reaper, including information on how to use advanced routing techniques.

I own it in both PDF and hard copies and have read through it cover-to-cover at least three times, and use it often as a reference when trying to accomplish something specific.

I highly recommend it as being worth the investment of money and time. You won't be sorry.

By the way, if you look at the beginning of the thread, you'll see it isn't a "new" book. It's been around for a while. So it isn't geared toward the latest features of Reaper. However, that doesn't make any less valuable, as its primary lessons are in the techniques.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:04 AM   #377
The Telenator
Banned

My bad -- I was still half awake when I stumbled into the forum this morning. I didn't catch the fact this has been around for a while. Odd I'd never heard of it, but thanks indeed for saying a bit about it!
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:38 AM   #378
Smurf

If ya own Reaper, then this is must have to sit beside the Manual IMHO...

I Also have been thru it a few times & use it as a reference a lot.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #379
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3yPr0gg3r View Post
Hi Nicholas,

Just wondered if you had any suggestions with regard to my unique arrangement I'm mixing. I'm over half way through ReaMix, (great tool by the way), but nothing I've viewed online or in any books addresses my project.
Chris Squire performed a song called "the fish" for the Roundabout album in 1971, all done with bass guitar, (except drums and perc.). I'm doing something similar, (similar 7/4 beat), but using distorted parts as well as just plain weird sounding parts.
I understand that I need to give every sound it's own space, and I'm using various techniques found in ReaMix to set space, depth, and time. Any other suggestions that you might have so I don't end up with a pile of mud?

Thanks
Please PM me with your email address
Old 10-14-2012, 04:29 PM   #380
k3yPr0gg3r

Default Re: ReaMix

Nicholas,

Tried to click on your "send message" in your profile, but nothing is happening, (no seperate box is coming up!). Do you have an alternative contact?

Thank you
Old 10-14-2012, 04:42 PM   #381
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3yPr0gg3r View Post
Nicholas,

Tried to click on your "send message" in your profile, but nothing is happening, (no seperate box is coming up!). Do you have an alternative contact?

Thank you
Well it worked anyway! Will send you reply by email ...
Old 10-15-2012, 12:59 AM   #382
midiboss

Hi Nicholas. I bought ReaMix back in 2008. At Lulu I see publish date-year 2010.
Are there any differences between 2008 and latest version?
midiboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:42 AM   #383
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiboss View Post
Hi Nicholas. I bought ReaMix back in 2008. At Lulu I see publish date-year 2010.
Are there any differences between 2008 and latest version?
Just a few typos and minor fixes ... nothing to worry about !
Old 10-15-2012, 07:54 PM   #384
Brother Grim

Default Still applicable?

New to Reaper and going to need an ass ton of help getting to know the mixing process. Since this book is pretty old, is it still relevant to Reaper today?
Brother Grim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:11 PM   #385
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Grim View Post
New to Reaper and going to need an ass ton of help getting to know the mixing process. Since this book is pretty old, is it still relevant to Reaper today?
It is intended to complement the User Guide. The User Guide will give you the latest and most up to date features of REAPER, ReaMix concentrates on techniques for creating better sounds. Think of it as exploring when and why you should use (for example) panning, routing, EQ, compression, reverb, etc. to the best effect more than how to do these things - the "how" is in the User Guide.

The techniques are as relevant today as they were 10 years before the book was written and will still be just as relevant 10 years from now!
Old 10-17-2012, 09:05 AM   #386
barrymk

Default Links missing

Hi I just bought the book via Lulu but the links for the samples etc don't work. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers Barry
barrymk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #387
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrymk View Post
Hi I just bought the book via Lulu but the links for the samples etc don't work. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers Barry
Barry - the links are case sensitive (because it is a UNIX server) - they have to be entered exactly as shown in the book.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #388
k3yPr0gg3r

Barry,

Somewhere in this forum there are links to the samples, music files, etc. I just copied, opened a new browser, pasted, and downloaded. I'm sorry I can't be more specific as to location, but I did a search with keywords like ReaMix Media, ReaMix Samples, etc.

Hope this helps...
Old 10-18-2012, 02:34 AM   #389
barrymk

Default Sorted thanks

Thanks to you both

Nicholas I was expecting a page to load and didn't see my new browser quietly downloading the zips! Doh! Looking forward to making better mixes now. Cheers
Barry
barrymk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:37 AM   #390
holyghostfire

I can't get the custom plugins to work on Reaper 4(64 bit). No matter what I try, Reaper won't see them. Can someone help me? They are the 4bandjoiner modified and the Mixer modified files.
holyghostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:47 AM   #391
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyghostfire View Post
I can't get the custom plugins to work on Reaper 4(64 bit). No matter what I try, Reaper won't see them. Can someone help me? They are the 4bandjoiner modified and the Mixer modified files.
Try a portable install of 32 bit REAPER and add them to the appropriate directories there. (When the book was written and those plugs made there was no 64 bit REAPER!)

Last edited by nicholas; 02-24-2013 at 01:54 AM.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:03 AM   #392
Ledge

Hey Nicholas, I was about to purchase your book, but was wondering if there is a planned updated version any time soon?

Last edited by Ledge; 01-19-2014 at 05:15 AM.
Ledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:14 AM   #393
nicholas
Scribe

Hi Ledge,

Thanks for posting.

It is my (as yet unscheduled!) intention to revise this at some time in the future, but it won't be for quite a while yet. I'm thinking of doing this some time after the eventual release of REAPER 5 ... I don't have any inside info as to when this will be, but my best guess (and it's only a guess) is that we're looking probably at at least 12 months and more likely 18 months or more into the future.

That said, the mixing techniques explored and explained in this book will essentially be the same thru REAPER 5, 6, 7 and 8 and beyond!

Hope this helps you!
Old 01-19-2014, 06:14 AM   #394
Ledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
Hi Ledge,

Thanks for posting.

It is my (as yet unscheduled!) intention to revise this at some time in the future, but it won't be for quite a while yet. I'm thinking of doing this some time after the eventual release of REAPER 5 ... I don't have any inside info as to when this will be, but my best guess (and it's only a guess) is that we're looking probably at at least 12 months and more likely 18 months or more into the future.

That said, the mixing techniques explored and explained in this book will essentially be the same thru REAPER 5, 6, 7 and 8 and beyond!

Hope this helps you!
Placed my order :-)
Ledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:04 PM   #395
InTone

Just wanted to say that I bought your book, and I'm very excited about it. Thanks for writing it! I've never really given any serious consideration for my mixing other than doing anything that pleases my ears, but you gave me really something to think about with this book. Lots of new tools for understanding what I'm actually hearing. =)
InTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:20 PM   #396
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTone View Post
Just wanted to say that I bought your book, and I'm very excited about it. Thanks for writing it! I've never really given any serious consideration for my mixing other than doing anything that pleases my ears, but you gave me really something to think about with this book. Lots of new tools for understanding what I'm actually hearing. =)
Thank you for your generous comments and I am pleased that you are enjoying the book!