Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 08-26-2014, 05:23 AM   #1
NKB
Human being with feelings

Default Tempo change with pitch change

This has probably been asked somewhere before but this site is not easily searchable unless one knows exactly what something is called and if I knew what this was called I probably would not have to ask or search for it.

I would like to be able to speed up or slow down the tempo of a song and have the pitch change with it (i.e. when using audio files, not MIDI) just as an old record or tape would do if sped up/slowed down. Which setting in the Reaper project settings makes this possible?
NKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:25 AM   #2
gibi25

right click the transport bar
playrate
untick preserve pitch in audio item...
gibi25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:04 AM   #3
NKB

I've tried that before and I would think that would work but when I open that menu "preserve pitch" is by default already unticked and whether it has a checkmark by it or not doesn't change anything. The pitch stays the same when the tempo is changed. I think this is in project settings but there are so many options and combinations there to choose from hence my asking to try saving some time figuring it out.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:34 AM   #4
gibi25

look at item properties, you'll find same option, for this item only.
gibi25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:25 PM   #5
NKB

I've been scrolling through all of the options in the project settings and there does not seem to be a setting for this. I'm not getting results with anything I'm trying. It appears that time-stretching and preserving pitch regardless of tempo change is the preferred standard these days. I only want to do what I described because back in the 1990's I used to slow the music of a recorded track down and then record vocals or other things at the slow speed, then speed it up to normal tempo to get that oldschool chipmunk effect (or sometimes the opposite). I always thought that my method achieved a better quality result than any applied effect. I would think this should be a very simple procedure.

EDIT: Also, thanks for the tips gibi25. I did learn a couple of new things from them even if they didn't actually work.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:58 AM   #6
Fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKB View Post
I've tried that before and I would think that would work but when I open that menu "preserve pitch" is by default already unticked and whether it has a checkmark by it or not doesn't change anything.
That is very strange. I can't think why that would be. The only thing in Project settings which should have any relevance as far as I can see is the Default pitch shift mode (élastique 2.28 pro here), and even changing that shouldn't cripple the function.

Have you tried changing the playrate in another project?

If that doesn't work, it possible for you to reset Reaper's configuration to factory settings and see if that helps?

Did you try changing the item properties as gibi25 suggested? What was the result of that?

Can you install another instance of Reaper to see if it works there?
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:17 PM   #7
NKB

No luck with item properties.

To answer your other questions... I've been using Reaper 4 for over two years now and have updated every 4.whatever version and I've never been able to figure out how to do what I described with any version. I have looked into it periodically when the need comes up. I've also never tampered with any settings in any permanent way. Reaper is as it has always been since I started using it other than a couple of changes to some shortcut buttons; so basically I leave it at "factory settings".

I've tried changing the play rate in several different projects with no desired result.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:10 AM   #8
Fex

I'm completely stumped.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:23 AM   #9
NKB

I am too. As I said, I would think this would be a basic function. I ended up asking here because I thought maybe it was something stupidly obvious that I'm just overlooking.