Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 08-25-2014, 05:42 PM   #1
samsome123
Human being with feelings

Default performance royalties, mechanical royalties

hello i understand performance royalties are collected by ASCAP, BMI or SESAC

can someone explain about mechanical royalties, what exactly they are and who collects them, and how they work in general (in the digital world)
samsome123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:59 PM   #2
pattste

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsome123 View Post
i understand performance royalties are collected by ASCAP, BMI or SESAC
Yes, that's correct. Assuming that you are in the United States as other countries have their own agency. The agencies normally collect royalties worldwide, but there are exceptions. For instance, SOCAN here in Canada doesn't collect in the US. When you join SOCAN, they ask you to choose one of the US agencies to represent you. (I went with BMI).

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsome123 View Post
can someone explain about mechanical royalties, what exactly they are and who collects them, and how they work in general (in the digital world)
In the US, one way is to contact the Harry Fox Agency. The issue mechanical licenses for cover songs, which grant the licensee the right to so many downloads or CD sales. It is very affordable.
pattste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:19 PM   #3
DVDdoug

Quote:
HarryFox.com.

The mechanical license applies to hard copies or downloads. (It covers the words & music, not the recording.) In the U.S., it's a mandatory license which means you can record & distribute a cover version of any published song as long as you pay about 9 cents per copy distributed.

There is no mandatory license for use in movies or TV, so the rights & fees have to be negotiated.

Last edited by DVDdoug; 08-25-2014 at 06:26 PM.
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote