Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 08-23-2014, 04:56 PM   #1
JohnProphet
Human being with feelings

Default after mastering, can I add tracks???

So I completed my first mix on Reaper. Naturally it sux. So now I saved a copy of the project to work on it some more.

I want to double my main gtr. So I click to add a track, set it to record. It shows it picking up the mic signal. It shows that a track is being recorded. This is exactly how I have recorded the tracks in the first place

But when I go to play it back, nothing. It doesnt show movement in the VU meter for the track.

When I solo the track it DOES show the recorded info moving the meters but so far I have not gotten any sound to come from the track.

I am assuming this has to do with the fact that it has been mastered?

So what do I do to add tracks etc?

Thanks, JP
JohnProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 05:00 PM   #2
JohnProphet

Thought I had it fixed. Nope, somehow it is all wack now.

Looks like I somehow accidentally turned track 4 nto a folder which is now holding 5 and 6. 6 is the new track.

arrggghhh

Last edited by JohnProphet; 08-23-2014 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:57 PM   #3
Fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnProphet View Post
Looks like I somehow accidentally turned track 4 nto a folder which is now holding 5 and 6. 6 is the new track.

arrggghhh
Don't sweat it! It's easy to toggle whether a track is a track, a folder, or the last track in a folder. It's just difficult to find the switch if you don't know where it is.
There's a folder icon on the bottom right hand corner of the track, in the Track Control Panel.

Quote:
I am assuming this has to do with the fact that it has been mastered?
I'm not sure what you think mastering is, but I'm pretty sure it's something else entirely....

Last edited by Fex; 08-23-2014 at 06:11 PM.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:08 PM   #4
JohnProphet

Thanks

yeah, figured out the folder thing lol

The "master" thing. Last week I finished a song mix and rendered it to Mp3. In the process I got the master track showing and set up a fade at the end of the song etc.

Tnight when I tried to add a track it seemed as if the process was NOT the same as before I got the master track showing etc. I may be wrong because eventually I sort of got it working and finished a second mix after doubling the gtrs.

At first the fade wasnt affecting the new gtr track I added. After fiddling with it I got it fading with the master fade etc.

I aint gonna lie, im a musician, not a producer...some of this feels like a necessary evil

old mix http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/J...ll/play1275449

mix #2 http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/J...ic/play1276276
Old 08-23-2014, 09:08 PM   #5
Fex

Quote:
Tnight when I tried to add a track it seemed as if the process was NOT the same as before I got the master track showing etc. I may be wrong because eventually I sort of got it working and finished a second mix after doubling the gtrs.
I may be wrong, but I don't think that should change anything.

'Mastering' has a very specific meaning in audio production. It refers to the final adjustments made to a finished mix before release. From the title of your thread, I expected to read a post on an entirely different subject. It's not unheard of for artists to have an album professionally mastered for CD, receive the glass master, and then decide to add songs and reburn the disc thenselves. A good pressing plant would notice that the disc wasn't up to standard, and kick it straight back.
Quote:
I aint gonna lie, im a musician, not a producer...some of this feels like a necessary evil
If you don't have a passion for it, then it is a necessary evil. There's a lot to learn, and more so for those who haven't watched the technologies develop.

I'm listening to the first mix now. It's good. For a first effort, though, it's excellent.

Edit: I'm listening to the second mix. I think you should turn the snare down a tad. Maybe add a little reverb.

Last edited by Fex; 08-23-2014 at 09:22 PM.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote