Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 05-31-2014, 04:10 AM   #1
imacolaf
Human being with feelings

Default Midi control using oxygen 49

I've managed to assign several buttons and sliders as well as some keys to actions in reaper. the problem now is that when pressing a key the desired action takes place,(so far so good) but with the same 'flick of a switch' another action happens as well. (not good). So far I don't know why this happens. Is it due to a preset in the keyboard itself or is it caused by Reaper. When I try to find the shortcut ( in actions menu) only the manually assigned action comes up. Even redefining the actual key on the keyboard (channel and control assign) doesn't seem to make a difference.

I'm searching for hours now. Can anybody please help/advise?

Greetings,
Olaf
imacolaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:18 AM   #2
BobF

Quick thought ...

Are the MIDI ports assigned for control surface com disabled in the audio prefs?

If not, you might be getting extra MIDI data.
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:33 AM   #3
imacolaf

Thanks for you're reply

Yes they are, but that triggered me to look elsewhere. In Reaper Preferences, Control Surfaces, I've changed the setting for the oxygen from Mackie control (wich works for the Zoom R16) to Open Sound Control (OSC) now it seems to be fine. although I don't understand why (if anyone can explain, please do) i'm happy.
Old 05-31-2014, 02:35 PM   #4
DarkStar

You need to set the buttons on the Oxygen to "Toggle mode", and enter the same value, e.g. 127, for Data2 and Data3.

Quote:
When standard MIDI CC numbers are assigned to buttons or the Sustain pedal, they will toggle between two values. This means that one value is sent the first time it is pressed, and another value is sent the next time it is pressed.

By default, the buttons on your Oxygen Series keyboard are already configured to operate as toggle switches.
It sounds like they are configured in "Trigger mode":
Quote:
It is possible to set a Trigger Value for a button or the sustain pedal, causing it to send one value when pressed and held down, and another value when released.
Check the Oxygen User Guide for details of the configuration method.
Old 05-31-2014, 02:38 PM   #5
DarkStar

Also, I did not know that is could be used as a Control Surface, I was thinking of just configuring it as a MIDI Input device, enabling Input AND Control.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:20 PM   #6
imacolaf

Although it seems to work fine as a control surface, when I add an instrument on a track (kontakt) there is no oxygen to be selected so I can't play the instrument.
If I open kontakt as a stand alone device the oxygen is back, but in reaper it doesn't work.
So I'm not out of trouble yet.

Any thoughts on this?

In reply to Darkstar: The double action so to speak happens when I push the key fairly hard. If I press it lightly only the desired action happens. When I look at the way the key is configured Data 1 is empty, Data 2 is 0 and Data 3 is 127. I've tried to limit the range from 0 to 50 but then it still happens.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:54 AM   #7
BobF

This is based on experience with my Graphite ...

From the Reaper perspective, there are 5 MIDI INs and 2 MIDI OUTs. Control surface functions are dedicated by the Graphite to OUT2 and IN5. So these are the only ports disabled in the Audio>MIDI Devices config. The others are enabled for normal performance data flow.

I have no idea how this is implemented for the Oxygen ... hopefully it's similar enough to get you in the right area.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:11 PM   #8
Omarciano

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobF View Post
This is based on experience with my Graphite ...

From the Reaper perspective, there are 5 MIDI INs and 2 MIDI OUTs. Control surface functions are dedicated by the Graphite to OUT2 and IN5. So these are the only ports disabled in the Audio>MIDI Devices config. The others are enabled for normal performance data flow.

I have no idea how this is implemented for the Oxygen ... hopefully it's similar enough to get you in the right area.
Hello BobF...

Sorry if this isnt the correct place to ask.
I've bought a Graphite 49 two weeks ago and I'm able to use it as a keyboard over Reaper using VSTi's to recording.
My problem is that I'm unable to use the sliders an knobs even the transpose keys (rew, rec, play, ff, stop)
I've searched this forum and I realize you have the same midi controller apparently working like a boss!
Some tricks, hints, whatever could help me with this pretty controler?

Kind regards.-
Omarciano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:40 PM   #9
BobF

I'll type up some stuff and send you a PM
Old 09-03-2014, 02:43 PM   #10
DarkStar

^^^^
Better to post it here; that will help others too.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:55 PM   #11
BobF

Also in your inbox ...

I didn't plan to post here because of the topic ... but I see your point, so:

I'm running Reaper 4.721/x64 in Win8.1/x64

Before starting Reaper, select Preset 10 for the G49. Then start Reaper, and ...

In Preferences>Audio>MIDI Devices, disable MIDIIN5 (SAMSON Graphite 49) and
MIDIOUT2 (SAMSON Graphite 49). These two ports are used for controller functions.

In Preferences>Control Surfaces ...

Click Add and a window titled
"Control Surface Settings" pops up.

Make it look like this:
http://s5.postimg.org/3peh25jcn/grabbed_1409780515.png

There is an editor app for the G49 available for download. You can make a few changes to preset 10, or create a whole new preset, BUT the new preset won't be via MCU. You'll have to train everything ... I did that and didn't care for the result. I went back to preset 10. The only thing I've changed in 10 is to make buttons F9-F16 arm tracks instead of solo.

Last edited by BobF; 03-08-2016 at 01:51 PM.