Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 10-06-2019, 12:04 PM   #1
Commala
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI track list visibility buttons

Reaper v5.983+dev1002 64 bit W10 x64

I think this is something I may have reported in the past, but I don't think it was in an actual bug report.

In the MIDI editor track list, the visibility button for folder tracks doesn't always work as expected. If I have a folder with tracks that are currently not visible, and I press the visibility button on the folder, then all the tracks become visible. This is as expected. However, if I then try to press the same button again to hide these same tracks, nothing happens

The conditions for this seem to be pretty specific but actually very common, at least in my day to day.

I reproduced the bug in an empty project with these steps:

1. Create a folder track

2. Create two more folder tracks inside this one

3. Create at least two tracks in the first sub folder, and one track in the second. It is only when you have MIDI items in multiple folders that the MIDI track list will display a parent/child folder structure. If you do this with only one sub folder, the child tracks will simply be displayed without their parent track.

4. Create midi items for the three child tracks at the lowest level.
At this point the track structure should be:
Track 1 (parent)
== Track 2 (parent)
==== Track 3 (child with MIDI item)
==== Track 4 (child with MIDI item)
== Track 5 (parent)
==== Track 6 (child with MIDI item)

5. Open these midi items together in the editor. I have one editor per project enabled.

===========

The following works as expected:

6. Enable visibility for all items in the MIDI track list.

7. Set track 6 as "target for inserting events". This is to allow us to see the effect of the visibility button of track 2 on it's child tracks without one of those tracks remaining edit enabled and therefore continually visible.

8. Use the track manager to hide track 3 or 4 in the TCP.

9. Try the visibility button of track 2 in the MIDI track list. It toggles, as expected.

===========

10. Unhide the previously hidden track in the track manager.

11. Enable visibility for all items in the MIDI track list.

12. Now disable visibility for track 3 or 4 in the MIDI track list, and also hide that same track in the TCP using the track manager.

13. Try the visibility button of track 2 in the MIDI track list. It will not toggle the remaining track.

I have included steps 8-13 in the attached gif.
This bug makes it very difficult to efficiently manage MIDI editor visibility in large templates, where tracks are often hidden in the TCP but have MIDI items on them.

Edit: it looks like the first parent track (track 1) isn't actually required to reproduce this.

Last edited by Commala; 10-06-2019 at 12:11 PM.
Commala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 12:07 PM   #2
Commala

I wanted to bump this, and ask if anyone else can reproduce.

This bug greatly affects the functionality of the MIDI editor track list. The visibility button is often rendered inoperable, clicking it does nothing as shown in the gif. Because I see no benefit to the button acting this way, I assume that this is a bug.

Can anyone else weigh in? Does this affect other people with large templates?
Old 11-25-2019, 02:49 PM   #3
Commala

Bump?