Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 11-22-2014, 01:06 PM   #1
Taika-Kim
Human being with feelings

Default Scaling automation parameters without modulation?

Hi, am I missing something, or is the only way to set the boundaries of a controller's effect through another parameter and use parameter modulation?

Example:
I want that the whole range of a controller (Quneo fader in this case) to represent only the range between -2 and +6db on an EQ band.

Now I have a bypassed bogus effect on the same track, where I have the automation learned, and then I modulate the EQ parameter with this instead of straight control, and can set the baseline and scaling.

But this seems so super too much trouble for something so basic, so where are the normal controls for scaling automation parameters??

I tried searching the forum and the interwebs but found nada.
Taika-Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 06:01 PM   #2
nonobvious

yeah i think this is the only way to do it. something you might want to consider is adding macro linker in your default fx chain and having controller assignments setup for the linker's sliders (then just link modulation to parameters in your other vsts). this is similar to how ableton/bitwig have macro knobs for everything.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=86188

Last edited by nonobvious; 11-22-2014 at 06:32 PM.
nonobvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 06:31 AM   #3
Taika-Kim

Hmm that might be useful, thanks!

Now it seems that I can't have the same CC controlling both an interface element (track send volume in this case) and a VST parameter, which is a bit silly. I mapped thus, and the VST stopped responding, but when I clearead the action I made, it started responding to the CC again...

Let's hope thru that macro thing I can go around this with parameter modulation.

Oh, computers. You sit down to do something, have it in your head, but then you come up with an issue, and spend hours reading manuals, tutorials and finding some extensions to the already existing setup...

Last edited by Taika-Kim; 11-23-2014 at 07:18 AM.
Taika-Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:01 AM   #4
nonobvious

Yeah that's how it is in Reaper - it's not context sensitive. Having said that, I've found that I only really need two knobs: one dedicated to the volume of the selected track, and one that i assign to a vst parameter or a macro. and tbh, I don't even bother using the fx-assigned knob much, except to experiment, kuz i mainly just draw in envelopes.
nonobvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:48 PM   #5
foxAsteria

you can of course do it by limiting the range of your hardware controller knob.

since reaper is so powerful and configurable, it's a good idea to set aside some time to configure it to taste before you sit down to make music. i've been doing that for 5 years and i still find ways to improve my workflow...

home recording is no simple affair. it takes a lot of time to become your own sound engineer and IT support.