Old 07-14-2019, 11:36 AM   #1
route66
Human being with feelings

Default Transpose Midi

This seems like it should be easy so I assume I must just be a dummy.
I've got 8 midi tracks (no drums) in the key of D which I would like to change to the key of G. Is there a way to do them all at once? In the time I've spent screwing around trying to figure this out I could have done it track by track, but for future reference......
Thank you!
route66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:53 AM   #2
Rims

Not exactly what you asked but it's pretty quick to select the midi item, press T and enter 5 in the semitone box

https://youtu.be/6t9A_PEioH4?t=119
Rims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 01:29 PM   #3
dug dog

OR, in the track control panel, right drag to lasso select the MIDI items, hit F2 to open the media item properties dialogue and enter a number in the pitch adjust box in the upper right.
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 03:31 PM   #4
hopi

or you could drop the JS Midi Transpose FX on each item with it set to 2 semitones up

or in the MIDI Editor, you can make all the items editable, hit Control + A to select all note and move them all up 2 semitones
Old 07-15-2019, 05:12 AM   #5
garyo

Maybe i missed it........but was or is there a way to do ALL tracks at same time?
garyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:41 AM   #6
nait

I do this somewhat often, so I ended up creating 4 buttons on my toolbar: Octave Up, Octave Down, Semitone Up, Semitone Down. If you go in the actions list and filter for Transpose, you'll see each of those actions. You can either call those actions manually, or use the T key like someone else said, or set up buttons for them like I did.

From the main window where you see all your tracks / midi items, etc., you just select the midi items that you want to transpose. You can right click/drag to select them, or ctrl-click, or shift click... probably ctrl-A to select everything (haven't tried that yet though), then transpose will transpose all the midi items that are highlighted.

This video describes how to modify the toolbar, if you go that route: http://reaper.fm/videos.php#LzesiU5_Blk

It's funny, but I find that this is something that is quite a fundamental piece of functionality in a DAW, but I'm also fairly new to Reaper and I didn't find this very obvious at first. I'm starting to get more use to how Reaper works. I like it a lot, but it's definitely not the most intuitive software I've used.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:45 AM   #7
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug dog View Post
OR, in the track control panel, right drag to lasso select the MIDI items, hit F2 to open the media item properties dialogue and enter a number in the pitch adjust box in the upper right.
I always lasso the items I want to transpose, and then hold CTRL and use the up/down arrow keys to move the block of selected notes.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:51 AM   #8
Dr Bob

If you do transpose ALL tracks at the same time, be careful not to change the drums on channel 10, if it's a General MIDI (GM) midifile! Else you will get a weird drum track!!!

dB
Dr Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:23 AM   #9
garyo

Dont mean to belabor this topic, but.......once more.......is there some method\option that lets you make the desired changes on MULTIPLE tracks AT THE SAME TIME.

I.E. change say......three separate instrument tracks, moving the recording Key up or down to the new key

Maybe some way to select all three tracks, and them move the notes all at same times.
garyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:49 AM   #10
Rims

See dug dog method
Rims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:22 AM   #11
melillo

It would be nice if there was a parameter in the item's settings called "Untransposable". You'd enable this parameter for drum and percussion tracks, so you could transpose a whole song easily. And it would be useful to have a dialog box in which you enter the number of semitones you want to transpose, and then the selected midi tracks/items would be transposed by that number.

Marc
melillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:24 AM   #12
route66

Really appreciate the help. I tried Dug Dog's method and it's what I was looking for. I didn't realize that if you right click drag over any part of multiple tracks it will select everything, not just the part you dragged on. Also, I'm used to actually seeing the notes move to the new pitch so I got thrown off there too.

Works great.
route66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:31 AM   #13
zookthespook

select all the items you wan't to transpose and

then hit
SHIFT+) for transposing up one semitone
SHIFT+( for transposing down semitone

pretty quick

cheers
zook