Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 09-01-2015, 02:16 PM   #1
Kenny Gioia
Human being with feelings

Default Video Tutorial - Ducking using Side-Chain Compression (ReaComp)

Created a video tutorial showing Ducking using Side-Chain Compression in REAPER (ReaComp)

Click Here to Watch

Thanks for the support.
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:28 PM   #2
prezbass

Kenny- this is a great video. I remember the days of having to get the studio intern a bottle of beer and soldering iron to go tap the TT bay for sidechain inputs on compressors- it's SO much easier now! But, I digress.

So, your example of broadcast commerical is very cool (and applicative for me, as I do a bunch of that kind of work) but might I suggest a video on something a little more applicative for the folks that craft music? You mentioned in the video about rhythm guitars versus lead guitar, but I'm thinking of the old case where you'd want to duck a bass guitar in favor of a kick drum and why- that's something of a lost art.

Also- correct me if I'm wrong, but if you leave the ReaComp UI open and drag the routing from the source to the ReaComp UI, it will automatically do both the 1/2 -> 3/4 route and set the input on the compressor to the sidechain input simultaneously. That could be a big time saver for a lot of folks who might have trouble remembering all the steps.

Anyway- hope I don't sound like I'm naysaying your efforts here- your videos are great, and I use them a lot as refreshers. (Yes, an old dog like me can always use those) Just thinking of a slightly different spin for this one.

Keep up the fantastic work!!!
prezbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 03:20 PM   #3
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by prezbass View Post

Also- correct me if I'm wrong, but if you leave the ReaComp UI open and drag the routing from the source to the ReaComp UI, it will automatically do both the 1/2 -> 3/4 route and set the input on the compressor to the sidechain input simultaneously. That could be a big time saver for a lot of folks who might have trouble remembering all the steps.
Ya know. I don't think I realized you could do that. That is a big timesaver.

Thanks for the kind words.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:30 PM   #4
prezbass

Well, now I just checked it.

Dragging the source to the plugin UI does set up the 1/2 -> 3/4 route, but it does NOT change the input detector to the sidechain input. You do have to do that manually. Same with the ReaGate.

Still a timesaver, tho.
prezbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 05:45 PM   #5
JHughes
Banned

Quote:

Dragging the source to the plugin UI does set up the 1/2 -> 3/4 route, but it does NOT change the input detector to the sidechain input. You do have to do that manually. Same with the ReaGate.

Still a timesaver, tho.
That is cool, thank you.
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:21 PM   #6
Kenny Gioia

Quote:

Still a timesaver, tho.
Yeah. I think it makes sense the way it works. Not sure I would expect it to switch detection from a drag and drop. But your tip is great. Thanks.