Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 06-05-2020, 11:44 PM   #1
Spirit
Human being with feelings

Default Having problems rendering 12-hour project

I have several very long (from 6 to 12 hours) projects. They're only a few tracks, so not complex, just long. But am having great trouble successfully rendering them.

Sometimes they just render a few hours then stop. Other times I'll geta full render but absolutely no music player will open the resulting wav file (up to 6.5Gb). The files will import back into Reaper, so they've actually worked, but just unusable anywhere else.

Is there any advice on getting the best render of long projects?

thanks
Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 02:53 PM   #2
Naji

Maybe you can not render more than the size of a cd. I suppose that is standard.
A CD has max. 800 MB?
Have you tried live rendering?
Naji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 04:53 PM   #3
valy

What are you going to do with such a long, contiguous file? You can't break it up into sections for your end purpose?
valy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:35 PM   #4
Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by valy View Post
What are you going to do with such a long, contiguous file? You can't break it up into sections for your end purpose?
They're the audio tracks for ambient sleep videos. But now that you mention it I probably could just render in sections and crossfade them together again.

Gawd, that's so obvious! Thanks
Old 06-07-2020, 01:07 AM   #5
mschnell

Did you try some other file format ? Many will create much smaller files by lossy or lossless compression.

With what kind of device do you want to play the monster file ?

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 01:44 AM   #6
planetnine

What format are you rendering to?

I think REAPER defaults to wav64 rather than RF64, but I’m not sure what will read that beyond maybe Vegas and maybe versions of soundforge? Maybe others can advise?

>
Old 06-07-2020, 05:14 AM   #7
amagalma

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
The WAV format is limited to files that are less than 4 GiB, because of its use of a 32-bit unsigned integer to record the file size header. Although this is equivalent to about 6.8 hours of CD-quality audio (44.1 kHz, 16-bit stereo), it is sometimes necessary to exceed this limit, especially when greater sampling rates, bit resolutions or channel count are required. The W64 format was therefore created for use in Sound Forge. Its 64-bit header allows for much longer recording times. The RF64 format specified by the European Broadcasting Union has also been created to solve this problem.
Not all players are able to play these extended formats though
Old 06-07-2020, 03:05 PM   #8
Spirit

Thanks everyone for the extra info and ideas. I was able to render a 320K MP3 so that was useful. And I simply never thought that media players would choke on big wav64 files considering they can happily play huge mp4 files. Curious too that when the files get really big there are no 'details' on right-clicking - no bitrate, length etc.

So I think for now I can get by with a combination of rendering to high-quality MP3 and splitting the wav files into chunks and importing those into Vegas for an mp4 render.

Thanks again
Old 06-08-2020, 10:21 AM   #9
lerian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
So I think for now I can get by with a combination of rendering to high-quality MP3 and splitting the wav files into chunks and importing those into Vegas for an mp4 render.

Thanks again
You can use flac, i just rendered a 13h file (6gb) without problems. This way you dont have to encode from lossy to lossy and lose even more audio quality. Vegas can read flacs, no problem.
lerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 06:59 PM   #10
Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerian View Post
You can use flac, i just rendered a 13h file (6gb) without problems. This way you dont have to encode from lossy to lossy and lose even more audio quality. Vegas can read flacs, no problem.
Tried that and got a 12-hour file at 1.3Gb. I think I need to choose the top setting! Appreciate the info though, this looks like the way to go.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:10 PM   #11
lerian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
Tried that and got a 12-hour file at 1.3Gb. I think I need to choose the top setting! Appreciate the info though, this looks like the way to go.
Yes, i also think is the only way you can export a file of that size to be compatible with most of the players and video editors. The size also depends on the bit depth and resolution. I used 24bit/48khz, on 16bit/44.1khz is indeed smaller. It also depends on the contents i guess, since flac is basically a "lossless compressed" format, unlike mp3.
lerian is offline   Reply With Quote