Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 06-05-2020, 07:51 AM   #1
gtr511
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper + Soundcraft Signature 22 MTK

I am having a weird multi-tracking problem that I've not had before. A USB connection with my laptop (Windows 10, 64 bit) from my interface (Soundcraft Signature 22 MTK w USB) and using ASIO drivers supplied by Soundcraft. I have been the sole supplier of tracks on a song via multitracking, and after abut 18 tracks, I now experience a slap-back echo effect as a new recording track has the expected initial signal but there is also a few millisecond delay repeat of that track making timing impossible. I can switch routing and the delay is gone but what is actually recorded is the delay heard earlier. I then have to manually determine the amount of delay(each attempted recording delay changes in length so not a constant amount) then left nudging over to try to line up the recording with the rest of the song.
I have reset Reaper to factory defaults, I have reinstalled Reaper and all the drivers that previously made it functional. I have used this setup previously for about 4 years and this is the first time this has happened. Anyone seen this or something like it before?
gtr511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:29 AM   #2
serr

Are you trying to record overdubs for the first time using this system?

If you are trying to use the method of monitoring the live inputs with the interface mixer (the analog mixer in this example), you need to mute the recording track in Reaper. Otherwise you will hear the delayed (by your block size setting) latent signal through the Reaper mixer along with the live input and get that slap effect.

Calibrating the offset to place recorded audio in sync with previously recorded audio is in the Reaper Preferences/Audio/Recording page. The driver reported value should be close... but it sounds like that might not be the case here. You can add an offset or untick the driver reported value and take over completely manually. Run a loopback test to determine the exact value.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 01:06 PM   #3
domzy

maybe you've got some plugins in the project that are causing PDC?
domzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:32 PM   #4
gtr511

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I will check these out.
gtr511 is offline   Reply With Quote