Old 05-26-2020, 09:09 PM   #1
dylfish
Human being with feelings

Default USB MIDI Control and CSI workings

Hey Guys,

Im building my own USB midi control surface using the Teensy 4.0 MCU. Im using momentary push buttons and rotary encoders.

So far ive just done a proof of concept for myself with a scaled down version on a breadboard. I am using the below control surface library to output the Midi CC messages to reaper, which works when the commands are mapped via the action list.

https://github.com/tttapa/Control-Surface

I've been looking at the CSI extention and im just trying to get my head around it. I assume it "intercepts" the midi CC message from the controller, then interprets it to the actions in defines by CSI?

Current Process
Midi Controller -> MidiCC Msg -> Reaper Actionlist Binding

CSI Process
Midi Controller -> MidiCC Msg -> CSI Extension -> interpreted command -> Reaper (and feedback the other way if required)

Am I on the right track in regards to this? Im assuming I can still design the controller as if CSI wasn't being used and then write up the files for CSI when its finish and everything defined?
dylfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 10:25 PM   #2
mschnell

Yep.

For having a Midi device directly seen by Reaper (e.g. feeding messages into tracks), you will activate that device in the list in the preferences. Activating "Control" for allowing Reaper to "learn" CC messages converted to Control path messages by that is optional (and only recommended in dedicated cases).

For having the CSI extension work with a Midi device (or multiple) you will not activate that device in the Reaper preferences, but define it in the CSI setup.

And of course CSI can use any Midi messages, not just CCs.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 05-26-2020 at 10:31 PM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 11:44 PM   #3
dylfish

Thanks mate. At least i can continue my design of the controller and then mess with csi later.

One issue i noticed was in midi devices i turned it off and enabled it through the csi extension, but on the test script i was unable to get any input unless i went back and turned on control for the device. Is that correct?
dylfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 02:10 AM   #4
mschnell

Last time I tried CSI (quite some time ago) I needed to disable the device in the Reaper preference to allow CSI to get hold of it.

If you needed to turn on "Control" in the Reeper preferences, you very likely did not see an effect via CSI but via some event you "learned" to such Midi messages.

You should switch on the Midi monitor in CSI to see the incoming (and outgoing) Midi messages.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:51 AM   #5
siniarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylfish View Post
Thanks mate. At least i can continue my design of the controller and then mess with csi later.

One issue i noticed was in midi devices i turned it off and enabled it through the csi extension, but on the test script i was unable to get any input unless i went back and turned on control for the device. Is that correct?
Hi Dylfish,
I'm looking to have a custom controller made as well to interact with CSI and control the FXs section only. I was wondering perhaps we can collaborate together. I was starting to look for people to help with the electronics part of it and I could work in the mechanical aspects of it.
Take a look at my other post. Also, if you are working with audrino then perhaps it might be best to use OSC rather than midi?

Take a look at my other post.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=237950
siniarch is offline   Reply With Quote