Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 03-16-2019, 04:52 PM   #401
Coachz
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by sightlessness View Post
We ain't entitled to sht. But yeah, WT could type some words around here :P Maybe while he goes to the bathroom/restroom when he is away from designing Reaper V6 stuff.
Basic manners are not entitlement btw.

Coachz Repo
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:13 AM   #402
sightlessness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Basic manners are not entitlement btw.
Who is against basic manners? lol
Old 03-18-2019, 05:35 AM   #403
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sightlessness View Post
Who is against basic manners? lol
You'd be surprised. Click here for the 10 basic manners people are missing.

Coachz Repo
Old 04-18-2019, 02:35 AM   #404
Xaos

Quote:
Would it have killed him to say hey I can't do this now because I'm working on the future?
I'm not sure I understand this. He is doing this now and we've been looking at the future faces of REAPER in this thread, which is either a test balloon or just caught someone's attention at Cockos. I'm sure he'd love to respond to some of the snarky whinging here (guilty!), but once they made the decision to adopt this officially, WT likely had to sign some sort of NDA and stop releasing updates to the project or commenting on it. Jon mentioned it so casually in that video—as if it was just common knowledge—but that was the first I'd heard of it other than my whimsical remark earlier in this thread. Had anyone else heard anything about this before?

Lets just be glad that REAPER is getting a major facelift. The most common gripe I hear from new REAPER users is about the interface. A couple of people have told me utterly ridiculous things like it feels "unfinished" because "you have to put this thing in that folder" to add functionality, which is like saying a preamp rack is unfinished because you have to plug all those pesky cables into it to record. I couldn't even respond other than to roll my eyes. It's way beyond me how someone could not grasp the power and flexibility REAPER's relatively open structure offers the end user by allowing us to customize and tweak it to our hearts' content! They acted as if things like the SWS Extensions, ReaPack, and the resources in the stash were bad things.

We know REAPER is brilliant, but people react to appearances even when not consciously aware of it, and, as much as I love REAPER, it does still look like someone's class project. Out of the box, it's like a Lamborghini engine inside the body of a Yugo, and even the best themes have some functional quirks or trade-offs. When I'm telling someone about how great REAPER is, I feel obliged to make excuses for the interface design. I think this is partially why a lot of the "names" who are now using it don't talk about it. One company for whom I did graphic design let us do a series of test mailings. We'd send the same sale catalog out to two groups. One group would get it on higher quality paper stock, a layout based on the golden ratio, or some other subtle difference while the other group got cheaper paper or a layout that didn't adhere to premium design principles. To the chagrin of our VP of marketing who though our clients were oblivious to those kinds of details, we often got as much as double the response from the group that received the higher quality mailers. And our clients were construction workers and handymen. We were selling faucets and toilets, not jewelry or perfume.

I'm pretty sure I won't get anyone in trouble if I say that Disney/Pixar have been using REAPER on some of their orchestral recordings for a while. And I originally found out about it from a friend who discovered it while working on a project at Abbey Road, so it's definitely getting noticed by people who are sick of PT's channel limits, horribly inefficient audio engine, lack of support for VSTs, and the general lag in adopting support for new technologies. But some of these guys literally try to hide the fact that they use REAPER. Maybe it's brand snobbery, but I think some it has to do with the interface. (I don't think it's price, because they're fine telling people when they use Logic for something, and it costs 26 USD less than REAPER.) With the interface choices we've seen in this thread, I don't think we'll hear much complaining about the interface anymore, and people will proudly launch it and show it off to their colleagues with pride.

Also, Cockos are usually pretty open about most of what they have in the chute, e.g. offering pre-release builds, etc., but they are pretty silent on v6, FWICT. I've never heard any of their team of testers mention any specifics about what we can expect from v6, have any of you? This is why I think v6 is going to have some majorly innovative features along with this facelift, and these will catapult it to its rightful place at the top of the industry.
Old 04-18-2019, 03:02 AM   #405
Xaos

Ha! WT has spoken. All the images on the first page have been pulled. Silence is sometimes the loudest communication. (Unless it's just my browser.) I can only think of one reason why they'd be gone. :-D
Old 04-18-2019, 03:13 AM   #406
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos View Post
Ha! WT has spoken. All the images on the first page have been pulled. Silence is sometimes the loudest communication. (Unless it's just my browser.) I can only think of one reason why they'd be gone. :-D
It’s just your browser xD
Old 04-18-2019, 04:23 AM   #407
JHughes
Banned

Vector graphics coming in Reaper 7.
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 05:09 AM   #408
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
Vector graphics coming in Reaper 70.

^fixed^!

+maybe v. 5.999999 for WT Imperial v5!

Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:07 PM   #409
Xaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKeehl View Post
It’s just your browser xD
Thank the interface gods! I have Opera blocking so much stuff for privacy/security, which is great most of the time. Dunno why it would block those, though. Went back and had a look in Safari, and, with the exception of the Stockholm theme, got my Imperial lust fix! I don't get the whole Stockholm Syndrome that's going around. Any kid with crayons could make that style of interface. A lid for every pot, I suppose. That's what makes REAPER so great. Everyone's version is unique.

[QUOTE=Bri1;2123310]

Jon (REAPER Blog) specifically said v6 in that video (above). Think WT will drop the v# or call it 6 to avoid confusion? I sure hope we get what we've been ogling for the last 3 years!

I find it interesting that audio software users are so into the visuals. I worked in graphic design for 16 years, and the interfaces were so dull. I remember when I saw the first rev of Cubase. Out of all the DAWs available at the time, it was the one that was easiest for me to use because it looked and functioned the most like real hardware. After struggling with PT, Cakewalk, and Logic for the audio editing side of my video production company, Cubase made me feel instantly at home. I could never understand why they called Logic Logic. It was the most unintuitive and illogical DAW of them all. It sure did sound magical, though.

That was almost 20 years ago, and when the first 1GB hard drive hit the market, it changed our whole workflow. Just imagine what we'll be lusting over 20 years from now!
Old 04-19-2019, 10:12 PM   #410
Xaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHughes View Post
Vector graphics coming in Reaper 7.
I'm a bit out of the technology loop. Can Windoze and Linux render vector graphics yet?
Old 04-20-2019, 04:35 AM   #411
Coachz

[QUOTE=Xaos;2123914]Thank the interface gods! I have Opera blocking so much stuff for privacy/security, which is great most of the time. Dunno why it would block those, though. Went back and had a look in Safari, and, with the exception of the Stockholm theme, got my Imperial lust fix! I don't get the whole Stockholm Syndrome that's going around. Any kid with crayons could make that style of interface. A lid for every pot, I suppose. That's what makes REAPER so great. Everyone's version is unique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri1 View Post

Jon (REAPER Blog) specifically said v6 in that video (above). Think WT will drop the v# or call it 6 to avoid confusion? I sure hope we get what we've been ogling for the last 3 years!

I find it interesting that audio software users are so into the visuals. I worked in graphic design for 16 years, and the interfaces were so dull. I remember when I saw the first rev of Cubase. Out of all the DAWs available at the time, it was the one that was easiest for me to use because it looked and functioned the most like real hardware. After struggling with PT, Cakewalk, and Logic for the audio editing side of my video production company, Cubase made me feel instantly at home. I could never understand why they called Logic Logic. It was the most unintuitive and illogical DAW of them all. It sure did sound magical, though.

That was almost 20 years ago, and when the first 1GB hard drive hit the market, it changed our whole workflow. Just imagine what we'll be lusting over 20 years from now!
Since you use your eyes to operate the software it's not surprising to me at all that the visuals are important

Coachz Repo
Old 04-20-2019, 04:54 AM   #412
JHughes
Banned

Quote:
I'm a bit out of the technology loop. Can Windoze and Linux render vector graphics yet?
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...(v=vs.85).aspx
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...aphics_editors

I don't know where vector support begins and ends but to my knowledge there's nothing standing in the way.

And then there's the cursor (nothing to do with Imperial though, just saying.)
Attached Images
File Type: gif cursor.gif (26.4 KB, 3746 views)
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:21 AM   #413
Lokasenna

Quote:
"Yet"? They've always been able to. In fact, it's likely there's at least one SVG (the standard vector format) on this very page.

Vector graphics just means "draw a line from this point to this point, draw a curve with this radius from here to here" instead of "this pixel is red, this pixel is white, this pixel is white". There's nothing particularly magical about it, it's just that most software isn't written with it in mind.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:01 AM   #414
Xaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
"Yet"? They've always been able to. In fact, it's likely there's at least one SVG (the standard vector format) on this very page.

Vector graphics just means "draw a line from this point to this point, draw a curve with this radius from here to here" instead of "this pixel is red, this pixel is white, this pixel is white". There's nothing particularly magical about it, it's just that most software isn't written with it in mind.
I understand vector vs raster. I worked in graphic design for 16 years. What I mean is in the original Core Graphics OS X used the PDF graphic technology to render the onscreen graphics, which is why it was so easy to just print to a PDF. Then they built vector support into the core graphics of of the OS so that it could use scalable vector information to draw the onscreen graphics. This is very different from having an application render it. It's native to the operating system's graphic engine and developers can make calls to the OS libraries instead of writing the code into their app, which is much less efficient because it doesn't have direct access to the hardware.

A good analogy of this is Windows audio. To run audio software at low latency, you have to have the ASIO driver, while the Mac has low latency audio natively because Core Audio was designed to let applications make calls to low levels of the OS, effectively giving them direct access to the hardware. No third party software needed.

Last edited by Xaos; 04-22-2019 at 02:06 AM.
Xaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 06:25 AM   #415
MaXyM

As @lokasenna said windows already provides api for rendering vector objects (for more than 20 years). speaking about reaper themes however, a developer must provide scripted theming infrastructure to end-user. That's it. I suppose working with images is easier for end users, maybe more efficient for a system.

Btw vectors are not a salvation.
There are different usage contexts dependent on output devices. Also designing vector based gui may be more complex/harder to a themers. In addition, vectors alone give simplified look only. Those still need to be supported by images to mimic look of some counterparts from real world. such images have to be scaled depending on output devce dpi (or ui scale if available). etc etc.
MaXyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 03:57 AM   #416
puddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHughes View Post
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...(v=vs.85).aspx
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...aphics_editors

I don't know where vector support begins and ends but to my knowledge there's nothing standing in the way.

And then there's the cursor (nothing to do with Imperial though, just saying.)

Ugh, the play cursor gives me headaches. Hopefully they will make the GUI overall smoother and fix the flickering.
puddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 04:05 AM   #417
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
Ugh, the play cursor gives me headaches. .

lolz-- an old saying here goes "close your eyes,and think of england!"
getting ignored is the new black m8.
1 can hope+pray all they like to false prophets all day long,and still get nowhere.?
bless this house.
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 12:20 PM   #418
Xaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXyM View Post
As @lokasenna said windows already provides api for rendering vector objects (for more than 20 years). speaking about reaper themes however, a developer must provide scripted theming infrastructure to end-user. That's it. I suppose working with images is easier for end users, maybe more efficient for a system.

Btw vectors are not a salvation.
There are different usage contexts dependent on output devices. Also designing vector based gui may be more complex/harder to a themers. In addition, vectors alone give simplified look only. Those still need to be supported by images to mimic look of some counterparts from real world. such images have to be scaled depending on output devce dpi (or ui scale if available). etc etc.
APIs for rendering vectors is very different from having the graphics engine support them at the OS level. In order for it to be efficient enough to use as an interface element, it needs to be built in and tightly integrated with the GPU and drivers, like macOS does/has done for a while now. Apps could always render vector images by making calls to libraries, but it's a totally different thing to have the OS handle them natively. Scaling and rendering complex color shading grids in vector items is pretty intense work, which is why games have used 3D frames with rasterised textures and lighting. It's something that the OS needs to be able to handle easily. I suppose someone could write the video equivalent to ASIO for Windows if video management is as bad in Windows as the audio management is.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:07 PM   #419
Greg Savage

Just curious. Was this ever finished?
Greg Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 03:13 PM   #420
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Savage View Post
Just curious. Was this ever finished?
not yet
Old 05-28-2019, 03:14 PM   #421
Greg Savage

Quote:
not yet
Gotcha. Thanks.
Greg Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 03:19 PM   #422
Judders

I wouldn't hold your breath. Right now it seems more like a collection of cool stuff for theme creators to run with.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:01 AM   #423
lokey

Was WT Imperial v5 finished and released? I can't find it in the stash. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
Here's what I've been working on for the better part of a year. Its very far from done, 6 months to go would be my guess. I'm sharing it because I think its very good and the world is full of good things and on some days its good to remember that. I also want to get the WALTER out because I believe some of it could be extremely useful to other themers.

On that subject : please feel free to raid the WALTER and use whatever bits of code you might find useful (suggestion: the imageshift macros are very simple but do wonderful things). However, I must insist that you do not use any of the images or make mods of the theme or anything like that yet, let me finish first. I'm including an awful lot of code and alternative images to make modding easy and powerful, in good time.

Its just the mixer so far, that's where I started. Because, well, its Imperial.

The build I am sharing is the latest one that is currently in use by my testers. Its moderately usable. I'm not necessarily looking for feedback at the moment, I've got plenty of testers who I trust implicitly, but if you're curious then please feel free to take a look. Here's the theme file; DON'T MAKE ME REGRET SHARING IT m'kay?

Its Imperial, it looks like Imperial. But more so. The ethos remains as it was; to take a lot of space and use it to show everything at once, with generous sizing and margins to make control searching and mouse-hit easy. The old Imperial scored extremely high in function and usability testing, my hope and expectation is this will perhaps surpass it.

Imperial didn't resize because I designed it to be used full screen. Which people didn't necessarily want to do. So now its got full WALTER on every layout, so the sizes degrade elegantly:

I have made extensive use of the new custom colouring method we got in V5:

And, of course, the 'None More Black' layout is back:

...which showcases what can be done with custom colouring. I'll be doing more of this in time, and different patterns.

This layout can also be used to commit crimes against humanity:

The flat styled 'Stockholm' layout is ideal for your synth tracks:

it also has custom colouring tricks, and some pan control implementations that you might like:

Imperial was designed for big screens, and preferably two of them. But people wanted to use it on small screens. Okay, fine Here's the 'project' layout, which has full shrinking WALTER, folder indenting, and a selection of fader colours. And a None More Black variant, of course.

Speaking of small size, I've completely redesigned the Sidecar layout. It features my new iris-style stacked pan/width knobs:

It custom colours nicely, and has a sophisticated folder indentation / signal flow design that I think works well:

here's what all that stuff means:

I've based the redesigned Tracking Deck layout on the Sidecar:

and finally there are strip layouts. These have 'USER : mess with these:' sections in the WALTER so users can easily whip up variants:

Please enjoy. I might do another snapshot build once its further along, we'll see.
lokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:16 AM   #424
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Its in post #1 of this thread, help yourself.

Work on this theme was put on hold while I went through the whole process of learning scripting then building the Default 6 theme and theme adjuster.

Work on this theme may resume soon, if time allows. I hadn't looked at this thread in a long time, and ....Oh My God. It will remain on hold if Coachz posts in this thread, in any way, ever, and yes I'm serious. And if anyone else wants to get angry that they haven't received updates to their free theme ...sheeesh.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:56 AM   #425
nait

I'm going to have to give this theme another go. I thought it looked awesome, but it was a bit too busy for me.. but I didn't realize there were so many different layouts, many of which look right up my alley. Damn, this is a work of art.

WT, I wish you had full control over designing the R6 theme, but that one I've started to like quite a bit more too.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:13 AM   #426
chip mcdonald

The simpler "Stockholm" design is a departure for you, I hope you continue to develop it.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:26 AM   #427
jeranx

Quote:
...to get angry that they haven't received updates to their free theme ...sheeesh.
Indeed, why don't you pay us for testing it.

Last edited by jeranx; 04-05-2020 at 03:55 AM.
jeranx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:26 AM   #428
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by nait View Post
I'm going to have to give this theme another go. I thought it looked awesome, but it was a bit too busy for me.. but I didn't realize there were so many different layouts, many of which look right up my alley. Damn, this is a work of art.

WT, I wish you had full control over designing the R6 theme, but that one I've started to like quite a bit more too.
I looked through all these and the mixer visuals look wonderful. Then I went back to the Reaper 6 theme at 150% which is so much better for me from a practicality perspective, and it isn't actually ugly or stylistically incongruent to me, just functional.

Something inbetween these two extremes could be wonderful though.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:37 AM   #429
rothchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald View Post
The simpler "Stockholm" design is a departure for you, I hope you continue to develop it.
That was the one that had me excited too, would love to see some of the goodness that's represented in those MCP pan controls replicated to the TCP also.
rothchild is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:38 AM   #430
Herr Nox

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothchild View Post
That was the one that had me excited too, would love to see some of the goodness that's represented in those MCP pan controls replicated to the TCP also.
Not trying to stir anything up, merely trying to show my admiration: Stockholm is what REAPER V6 should have been. I'd LOVE to see it finalized.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:40 AM   #431
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Sorry folks, it seems my terms were rejected.

I'll think about it again some other time.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:49 PM   #432
BorsingPhoto

[QUOTE=White Tie;1754940]Here's what I've been working on for the better part of a year. Its very far from done, 6 months to go would be my guess. I'm sharing it because I think its very good and the world is full of good things and on some days its good to remember that. I also want to get the WALTER out because I believe some of it could be extremely useful to other themers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks very nice! I've re-purchased another license for REAPER V6.x after having worked with MAGIX SAMPLITUDE Pro X4 Suite for a while and hot damn, V6.x seems MUCH faster now.. Faster than Pro X4's Dual engines even because I'm experiencing clicks etc with ONE instance X 16 VI's where in REAPER V6.x I've loaded 16(!) instances of KOMPLETE KONTROL with 7.1 surround and effects routing and not as much as a click anywhere.. BRAVO Cockos.. NICE Progress..

Speaking of progress? Now that V6.x is out, will your new IMPERIAL theme support COCKOS Plugin integration etc?

Sincerely Carl@BorsingStudios.com

Last edited by BorsingPhoto; 12-20-2019 at 11:31 AM.
BorsingPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:02 PM   #433
sightlessness

Quote:
Sorry folks, it seems my terms were rejected.

I'll think about it again some other time.
Mate!!!! Even though I understand you must be let down by us, the community,
you're still awesome.

What can I say? I really admire you, wish you the best.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:38 PM   #434
blumpy

The best thing you can do for you is ignore the detractors and continue forward without giving them any acknowledgment.

Quote:
Its in post #1 of this thread, help yourself.

Work on this theme was put on hold while I went through the whole process of learning scripting then building the Default 6 theme and theme adjuster.

Work on this theme may resume soon, if time allows. I hadn't looked at this thread in a long time, and ....Oh My God. It will remain on hold if Coachz posts in this thread, in any way, ever, and yes I'm serious. And if anyone else wants to get angry that they haven't received updates to their free theme ...sheeesh.
blumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 03:19 PM   #435
ReaMike

Very cool theme. Nice work.
ReaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 02:31 PM   #436
Constantin Fetter

i Really love this theme, v6 theme too. and i feel happy about your and reaper colaboration.

Imperial is the most desired theme for most of the users (if you ask me ).

don't take some solt close to your heart, solt is need to sterilise food and thought

i steel imagine one day, when i can preview or purchaise official reaper themes, JS plugins from Specific content menu inside reaper 6.5. and see imperial as best seller there. (not a bad idea).

a Service where skilled community users can upload their work and make some money from it, it will make to grow our community and reaper user base too. it will be one of the best community relationtip i think. All great works have to be paied (even money is not the main think in life, donation/paiment makes people respect each other. especially then when wasting precious time for public).
Constantin Fetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 05:02 PM   #437
ted

Default real nice Wt....

btw, what is your preference theme for ver.6
heard you've made 1
-or- that just a rumor.....

Ted
Old 03-06-2020, 10:09 AM   #438
Thonex

Mind blowing!
Old 03-15-2020, 02:04 PM   #439
wjmwpg

Seriously love that Stockholm. Hopefully there's a way forward that suits everyone. Would be a shame for it to die on the table.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:34 PM   #440
birdlives1955

Default What happened?

Hey y'all, I don't mean to stir up any old flames or anything, just honestly asking: What happened here? This was such a cool theme, I loved the old Imperial theme for Reaper. What caused the developer to become upset and cease development? I hope they finish the new version someday. Looked so cool in the previews...
birdlives1955 is offline   Reply With Quote