Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 02-14-2022, 05:02 AM   #281
_Stevie_
Human being with feelings

Yes, it obeys the snap setting (snap grid and on off).
Old 02-14-2022, 06:11 AM   #282
mozart999uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Yes, it obeys the snap setting (snap grid and on off).
Awesome!!!! :-)
mozart999uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 01:33 AM   #283
mozart999uk

Hi Stevie. Hope you are keeping well

Regarding your "SR - quantise notes 50% - grid."

Is there anyway it could move events in the CC lanes at the same time? (in the same way the default reaper quantise does?

I realise that I would have to select the notes first (in order to select the events in the CC lanes)......
Old 02-23-2022, 02:32 AM   #284
Joe90

Quote:
Ah, goodness, the script is in my WIP script folder and not released yet.
It does have some other features though, that I wasn't sure how useful they would be for others.

The script basically deletes left over notes, when they cross the split point based on a customisable threshold value:

I can share the script if you want, but I want to have a closer look at the code again before releasing it via Reapack.
Ah, an elegant solution to the nasty 'ghost note' problem. Does it split on click even if the item is unselected like cubase, or does the item need to be selected first? Do you have a separate 'ignore snap' version? I'm using clunky custom actions for this currently, so a script would be lovely.
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 11:35 AM   #285
_Stevie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart999uk View Post
Hi Stevie. Hope you are keeping well

Regarding your "SR - quantise notes 50% - grid."

Is there anyway it could move events in the CC lanes at the same time? (in the same way the default reaper quantise does?

I realise that I would have to select the notes first (in order to select the events in the CC lanes)......
I have been thinking about that, but have ultimately decided against, because I personally didn't find a use for it.
Old 02-28-2022, 11:38 AM   #286
_Stevie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Ah, an elegant solution to the nasty 'ghost note' problem. Does it split on click even if the item is unselected like cubase, or does the item need to be selected first? Do you have a separate 'ignore snap' version? I'm using clunky custom actions for this currently, so a script would be lovely.
Yes, when there is no item selection, it will aim at the item under the mouse cursor.
When you are using a mouse modifier, then the item will be selected, though.
That's something that is hardcoded into the item mouse modifier.

The script is snap aware, e.g. it will always follow the currently set snap mode.
Old 03-01-2022, 02:13 AM   #287
mozart999uk

Quote:
I have been thinking about that, but have ultimately decided against, because I personally didn't find a use for it.
Ah ok.:-)

So for me, the reasoning is where I've recorded in live CC when playing, be it breath controller, touche, mod etc and then I just want to tighten up my playing afterwards . Without the CC data moving with the notes when quantising, I end up having to manually tweak the CC data afterwards which can take a while :-(.

Anywho, totally get that this isn't a use case for you.

I've gone back to reaper quantise for now :-)
Old 03-05-2022, 11:24 AM   #288
_Stevie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart999uk View Post
Ah ok.:-)

So for me, the reasoning is where I've recorded in live CC when playing, be it breath controller, touche, mod etc and then I just want to tighten up my playing afterwards . Without the CC data moving with the notes when quantising, I end up having to manually tweak the CC data afterwards which can take a while :-(.

Anywho, totally get that this isn't a use case for you.

I've gone back to reaper quantise for now :-)
Ah okay, now I get it! You want to keep the CC position in relation to the notes.

However, the first issue I came across was: what if you want to quantize notes with a 1/4 grid but the CCs to a 1/16 grid? You would end up with less data in the CC lane, because many values would fall into the 1/4 grid.

But I totally get the use case and this is definitely useful. I will try to think about something...
Old 03-05-2022, 11:34 AM   #289
_Stevie_

Hmm, about this:
getting the start position of all notes in a take and then looking for the CC value that is closest to each of those notes. Then moving these CC values to the corresponding note start positions.
Old 03-05-2022, 02:37 PM   #290
Tod

Quote:
Hmm, about this:
getting the start position of all notes in a take and then looking for the CC value that is closest to each of those notes. Then moving these CC values to the corresponding note start positions.
Hi Stevie, I thought there was a setting to move all CC data with the notes?

I'm not at my computer right now but I'll have to look for it.

Even so, I think only the CC data directly under the note would move with the note. That's why, when I'm copying notes from one section to another section, I always insert, and also select, a note the full length of the section I'm copying. That's the only way I know of to get all the CCs.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 03:09 AM   #291
mozart999uk

Quote:
Ah okay, now I get it! You want to keep the CC position in relation to the notes.

However, the first issue I came across was: what if you want to quantize notes with a 1/4 grid but the CCs to a 1/16 grid? You would end up with less data in the CC lane, because many values would fall into the 1/4 grid.

But I totally get the use case and this is definitely useful. I will try to think about something...
Sorry to give you extra work :-( I should learn to play in time! :-)
Old 03-22-2022, 04:25 AM   #292
_Stevie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Hi Stevie, I thought there was a setting to move all CC data with the notes?

I'm not at my computer right now but I'll have to look for it.

Even so, I think only the CC data directly under the note would move with the note. That's why, when I'm copying notes from one section to another section, I always insert, and also select, a note the full length of the section I'm copying. That's the only way I know of to get all the CCs.
Hey Tod!

Yes, that's correct, there's a setting for that. But AFAIR it is only working with native actions.
It won't work when using scripts. I literally have to replicate every bit of those features by hand.

Concerning your copy CC case: I have coded a script that will select CCs under notes (it will also select all CCs within the note gaps). I'm currently updating that one, but I think the old version already works that way.
It's on ReaPack and called "Select CC within note selection (bundle)".
Old 04-20-2022, 08:16 AM   #293
mozart999uk

Quote:

Hi Stevie. Hope you are well. Did you have any more thoughts on this one? Do you think it will be possible?
Old 04-29-2022, 04:49 AM   #294
_Stevie_

Unfortunately I haven't had time to think about it, yet, because of work.
But I will resume scripting ASAP.
Old 05-03-2022, 06:51 AM   #295
mozart999uk

Quote:
Unfortunately I haven't had time to think about it, yet, because of work.
But I will resume scripting ASAP.
No worries at all. Hope work is going well :-)
Old 06-17-2022, 07:35 AM   #296
MixR

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_;1923923
2018-07-12
[B
Change note position to grid(mousewheel)[/B]
  • this script changes the note position (based on the grid, if snap in the MIDI editor is turned on) via mousewheel
  • for the time being, you have to link the grid in the MIDI editor with the arrangement grid, will try to find another way to solve this
  • if snap is turned off, it works the same as "Change note position (mousewheel)" script
  • when there is no note selection, only the note under the mouse cursor is altered
  • this script only works in the MIDI Editor
Loving these scripts, Stevie - thank you so much for sharing them!
Is there a way to make the note length snap to grid value?
I don't know how to code but had a look at the script and saw that the notes are shortened/lengthened by "val." Would it be possible to set val to grid size and if so, how?
MixR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 04:33 AM   #297
_Stevie_

Can you elaborate a bit more? Like a use case or something!
Old 06-27-2022, 04:43 AM   #298
MixR

Quote:
Can you elaborate a bit more? Like a use case or something!
Let's say I am working on a groove and editing a Bass Synth mono track. Note length is a big part of that and it would be amazing to make a selection and then use the mousewheel to shorten or lengthen the note(s) by the subdivision of the current grid.

Imagine I want to change my notes on the downbeat from 1/8 length to 3/16. That would require selecting the notes and applying the script with a single indent of the mousewheel. Scrolling again would make the notes 1/4 or back to 1/8 on a 16th grid.

Currently the var is in the tick range, somewhere along the lines of what Reaper might refer to as "a little bit."
MixR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 05:19 PM   #299
AtmanActive

Stevie and friends,

I had a need to add 4 sendFX to selected track at once so I found Stevie's Send selected track(s) to FX track (bundle).
Thank you Stevie!

However, I needed the script not to duplicate sends that are already established. In other words, I needed to be able to execute the script against a selected track infinite number of times without having sends duplicated.
So I upgraded Stevie's scripts and added them to my Github:

https://github.com/AtmanActive/AA_Re...ack%20(bundle)

In addition, I changed the prefix to "SendFX1" instead of just "FX1", looks more readable to me in my projects.

For the people reading this for the first time:
IF you ever need something like this: create 4 tracks in your project. Name them "SendFX1", "SendFX2", "SendFX3", "SendFX4". These are just prefixes, you are free to name them, for example: "SendFX1: Reverb", or "SendFX2: Delay", or whatever. Then, when you create a new track, execute aa_Send selected track(s) to SendFX1234.lua and et voila! Your track now has 4 sends established and it won't hurt if you run this action again against it.

@Stevie, feel free to take any or all of my code changes.

Thanks!
AtmanActive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 03:36 PM   #300
_Stevie_

Hey Atman, that’s a pretty awesome improvement of the script! Time for coding is a bit sparse on my side. But I will put it on my todo. Thanks for doing that!
Old 11-15-2022, 07:59 PM   #301
fbeauvaisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtmanActive View Post
Stevie and friends,

I had a need to add 4 sendFX to selected track at once so I found Stevie's Send selected track(s) to FX track (bundle).
Thank you Stevie!

However, I needed the script not to duplicate sends that are already established. In other words, I needed to be able to execute the script against a selected track infinite number of times without having sends duplicated.
So I upgraded Stevie's scripts and added them to my Github:

https://github.com/AtmanActive/AA_Re...ack%20(bundle)

In addition, I changed the prefix to "SendFX1" instead of just "FX1", looks more readable to me in my projects.

For the people reading this for the first time:
IF you ever need something like this: create 4 tracks in your project. Name them "SendFX1", "SendFX2", "SendFX3", "SendFX4". These are just prefixes, you are free to name them, for example: "SendFX1: Reverb", or "SendFX2: Delay", or whatever. Then, when you create a new track, execute aa_Send selected track(s) to SendFX1234.lua and et voila! Your track now has 4 sends established and it won't hurt if you run this action again against it.

@Stevie, feel free to take any or all of my code changes.

Thanks!
Hey that's great! I've been using this script for years now and I will definitely use your little addition.

One way I'd like to push this even further, it could be a custom action, is that I'd like to be able to send from a multichannel track to a multichannel reverb with the send automatically using multichannel source input according to the source track's channel count or receive track's channel count.

Currently, I have to set them manually each time after the send is made. These days, I work a lot on multimedia installations and theme parks. When we go on site to integrate the sound and music, we end up working in multiple custom formats and setting up for mixing these sessions in each zone according to the their channel count is taking a considerable amount of time.

Also, in the studio, I very often work at least in quad channel and the script only sends the stereo 1/2 source regardless of the tracks channel count or if ReaSurroundPan is used.

So if you or _Stevie_ have any thoughts on how that could be achieved, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks!
fbeauvaisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 09:21 AM   #302
_Stevie_

Hey all!

Sorry, been insanely busy and every time I want to get some scripting done, I get interrupted by work in the middle of coding. I have quite a bunch of updated scripts on my drive. But I need to do some polishing first.

However, I was able to update the quantize script today, which relies now on sockmonkey72's brilliant MIDIUtils API (it's blazing fast).

So, in order to use the updated version, you need to add this repo to your ReaPack:
https://github.com/jeremybernstein/R...main/index.xml

and install MIDIUtils, then you are good to go.

The updated version features a couple of new things I have been working on in the past months:

+ Support for MIDIEditor_EnumTakes(), in order to apply the script to all editable takes in the MIDI Editor (requires REAPER v6.37)
+ Support for fixed item lanes (requires latest dev release)

These features will eventually come to all MIDI scripts where it makes sense.
Old 01-16-2023, 09:14 AM   #303
mozart999uk

Thanks for the updated scripts Stevie. Really nice.

Hoping one day you can incorporate my "moving controllers with the quantizing" idea :-)
Old 01-16-2023, 01:06 PM   #304
_Stevie_

Yep, that one is already on my todo!
Old 01-17-2023, 03:47 AM   #305
mozart999uk

Quote:
Yep, that one is already on my todo!
Great. Thanks for all the hard work :-)
Old 01-18-2023, 07:34 AM   #306
inthevoid

Quote:
Hey all!

Sorry, been insanely busy and every time I want to get some scripting done, I get interrupted by work in the middle of coding. I have quite a bunch of updated scripts on my drive. But I need to do some polishing first.

However, I was able to update the quantize script today, which relies now on sockmonkey72's brilliant MIDIUtils API (it's blazing fast).

So, in order to use the updated version, you need to add this repo to your ReaPack:
https://github.com/jeremybernstein/R...main/index.xml

and install MIDIUtils, then you are good to go.

The updated version features a couple of new things I have been working on in the past months:

+ Support for MIDIEditor_EnumTakes(), in order to apply the script to all editable takes in the MIDI Editor (requires REAPER v6.37)
+ Support for fixed item lanes (requires latest dev release)

These features will eventually come to all MIDI scripts where it makes sense.
Thanks for the scripts and all the hard work Stevie! Using these >1000 times daily.
inthevoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 01:20 PM   #307
_Stevie_

Hah, thanks man! That makes 2 of us, LOL
Glad it's helpful for anyone else but me
Old 01-20-2023, 08:06 AM   #308
mozart999uk

Might be me.....using the "quantize notes by 50% current grid" in the editor...once the note gets bang on the grid, repeated runs of the action shorten the length of the note.

Anyone else notice that?

It's not really a problem to be honest - just wondered :-)

Last edited by mozart999uk; 01-20-2023 at 08:07 AM. Reason: thought of something else
Old 01-20-2023, 08:08 AM   #309
_Stevie_

Hmm, that shouldn't happen, unless there are overlapping notes.
Can you make a GIF? Which REAPER version are you running?
Old 01-20-2023, 08:28 AM   #310
mozart999uk

Might have been a glitch. Can't get it to do it now 😂

If it happens again I'll do a gif :-)
Old 01-20-2023, 08:31 AM   #311
_Stevie_

I had a similar issue when using pre 113 - 117.
I'm pretty sure that you had overlapping notes in that MIDI item and that cause the script to go bananas.
Old 01-20-2023, 08:37 AM   #312
mozart999uk

ah yes - it's overlapping notes that cause it. I'm on 6.73.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y8obhgqdf1...pping.gif?dl=0
Old 01-20-2023, 08:39 AM   #313
_Stevie_

Okay, that's a funny behavior. Will try to check that today. Seems unrelated to what I have written above.
Old 01-20-2023, 03:29 PM   #314
_Stevie_

There was an unexpected rounding issue on my side. sockmonkey fixed it by preventing those in MIDIUtils. He will upload an updated version to ReaPack. Update and it should be fixed!
Old 01-24-2023, 04:14 AM   #315
mozart999uk

Thanks Stevie. I'll try that out :-)
Old 04-06-2023, 04:24 PM   #316
inthevoid

Hi Stevie, just noticed an issue with sr_Nudge note start left to previous grid - grid.lua. I get an error on line 41:

Code:
sr_Nudge note start left to previous grid - grid.lua:41: bad argument #6 to 'MIDI_SetNote' (number expected, got boolean)
Changing that line to

Code:
reaper.MIDI_SetNote(take, n, nil, nil, prev_grid_ppq, nil, nil, nil, nil, true) -- nudge note start to the next grid
Seems to fix it!
Old 04-08-2023, 12:31 PM   #317
_Stevie_

Hey inthevoid!

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. Those scripts are so frigging old, they need an overhaul and optimizations. I wrote them when I started coding, so lotsa things to improve
Old 04-09-2023, 04:26 AM   #318
inthevoid

Quote:
Hey inthevoid!

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. Those scripts are so frigging old, they need an overhaul and optimizations. I wrote them when I started coding, so lotsa things to improve
Heh, no problem at all, they're a hell of a lot more advanced than my first hacky attempts at scripting! Just thought you might want a heads up
Old 08-09-2023, 08:02 PM   #319
Joe90

Hi Stevie, I still use this script often to quantize midi items to grid from the arrange page. I'm finding when an item has been shortened (the right edge dragged back) and I use this script, it extends the item back to full length.

Any idea why this might be happening? I'm on the latest pre-release of REAPER but this has been an issue for a while.

To clarify, the script I'm using is "Script: sr_Quantize notes 100 percent - current grid.lua"

Last edited by Joe90; 08-09-2023 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Clarification
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 04:40 PM   #320
carlw

Thanks for the scripts _Stevie_, amazing job.

I noticed the human quantize script doesn't work for selected notes if the Midi editor is docked (
carlw is offline   Reply With Quote