Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 07-04-2022, 08:19 AM   #1
sjs94704
Human being with feelings

Default Request for help to extend a song to be longer. ...

Hi,

I hope everyone is doing well and Happy 4th of July!

I reached out to someone who helped me with this once, but just in case they are not available to help, I have a song that is just instrumental that I am using as background music for videos I am creating and I want to be able to makin it longer.

I respect that some of you might want to tell me how, but there is one video that I would love to get done, so I would be grateful for some help with this.

I have included a Dropbox link to the original song. You will see that it has a dramatic beginning. the middle plays fo a bit and then there is an end to the song.

What I am interested in is having the middle of the song chopped up and made into kind of loops that I can then string together so I can make the song as long or short as I want and tack the end on it.....

Usually the videos that I will be making will rang between 5 to 15 minutes long.

I would be extremely grateful to anyone who would be willing and able to assist me on this.

Here is the link to the original song:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cneufbvz28...Theme.mp3?dl=0
Thanks,
-Steven
Old 07-04-2022, 12:55 PM   #2
Fabian

Once you have the BPM (110?) this is easy.

Here https://chalmersuniversity.box.com/s...fyjjowukky.zip is a Reaper project where the middle part of your theme is cut up into eight parts that are duplicated. So this is now a 3-minute version.

You can duplicate the parts and reorder them to your liking.

I hope this is what you were after.
Old 07-04-2022, 03:51 PM   #3
sjs94704

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
Once you have the BPM (110?) this is easy.

Here https://chalmersuniversity.box.com/s...fyjjowukky.zip is a Reaper project where the middle part of your theme is cut up into eight parts that are duplicated. So this is now a 3-minute version.

You can duplicate the parts and reorder them to your liking.

I hope this is what you were after.
Awesome, Awesome, Awesome!! Thank You a million times!

I can see how you broke it up and I should be able to re-arrange these chunks of the song to fit my needs!

I have a clear idea in my head of the video I want to create and this song is the perfect fit to create the dramatic feel and to keep things moving along. The photos will be moving along on the screen with the speed of the music!

It's all coming together! Thanks so much!
Old 07-05-2022, 08:39 AM   #4
serr

There aren't really any rules. I'd say go with your thought to extend the middle part. Identify the bars/measures you want to hear repeated and loop that up. Experiment as you go. You'll either like something or think "Oh, that didn't work!" and move on.

As for HOW to do it...
The 's' key splits an item at the cursor.
You can zoom in on a kick drum hit on the 1 (ie the 1 of 1 2 3 4, 1 2 3 4 beat) and split the item right there. That's a good way to get started editing.

Music is divided into measures. That leads to slicing measures out and rearranging them. Duplicating parts and looping them and so on. You don't necessarily have to make the Reaper grid match and figure out BPM and all that. Those are tools available if and when they are useful. The music itself has a grid. Usually starting with the kick drum hits lets you start editing right away. You can slice out a measure just by looking at the kick hits, make a time selection to it, and click the loop button in the transport and hit play to listen if you sliced it out right. So it loops smoothly and you don't hear the beat lurch.

Just the very basic split items and grab and move them with the cursor is all you need to get started. Save your projects with version numbers (or however you prefer to name things) and save often. Don't be afraid to try something and screw the whole thing up! You can re-load the last save and start over.

Last edited by serr; 07-05-2022 at 08:46 AM.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote