Old 06-22-2022, 03:07 PM   #1
EdoKey
Human being with feelings

Default Mastering with Reaper/JSFX plugins only

Hello!
I was wondering, if any of you use only Reaper/JSFX plugins to master your tracks.
By mastering, i mean, having a nice end mix good enough to publish the music track on platforms like Spotify, Stock music libraries etc.
Right now, I like to use Brainworx Masterdesk and Realimit, but i thought, it could be nice not to rely on 3rd party plugins at all.

Thanks for tips and thoughts!
EdoKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 03:34 PM   #2
Lynx_TWO

I personally do not since I use plugins like SoundTheory’s Gullfoss and Oeksound’s Soothe2, both of which Reaper simply doesn’t have 1:1 alternatives for, but I’m sure some here do…

For me it’s all about problem-solving. If Reaper’s default plugins solve the problem, I’ll use them first since they are fast and efficient; however, there are plenty of problems that would take far too long to solve with Reaper’s plugins and automation (such as how Soothe2 solves complex dynamic resonance issues)

Ideally though, mastering should take minimal work if the mix is right, but a ton of people tend to give you kinda-crappy mixes and then expect you to polish the proverbial turd (ok maybe not THAT bad but you get what I mean). If you are doing the mix though, then mastering shouldn’t be much more than maybe tweaking EQ a bit, MAYBE some light compression and limiting to get to your required LUFS, but that’s it. Reaper’s plugins can easily handle those three things

Last edited by Lynx_TWO; 06-22-2022 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Clarification
Lynx_TWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 06:09 AM   #3
EdoKey

Thanks for the reply,
yes that makes sense, using Reaper plugins but usilizing other solutions, if the DAW doesn't offer it.
Old 07-02-2022, 04:08 AM   #4
JonLinnarson

You can definitely use only Reaper stock plug-ins and JSFX for mastering (many do it), but it's more a question of workflow and personal preference.

Nitsuj's ReEQ is a superb mastering EQ! ReaEQ also works just fine with 2x oversampling (to get rid of cramping).

MrElwood has a dynamic EQ called EQall that's great.

ReaComp, ReaXcomp and ReaLimit all are very capable plug-ins that should get you a professional sound if you know how to use them.

General Dynamics, MrElwood's CompLab and Chokehold Bus Comp are some other dynamic JSFX that are great tools and can give you a different sound if you feel like ReaComp doesn't get you where you want.

Sai'ke, RCJacH and some others recently created a JSFX clone of Sonnox Inflator (RCInflator) that can give you some extra loudness, and if you want a waveshaper with more control there are some other excellent ones out there (bang's WildWaveFu is nothing short of amazing, Sai'ke Filther and Squashman are as well).

These are just a couple of examples out of many, but my point is that you don't have to go outside of the Reaper/JS environment to get a professional sound, even though some VST plug-ins can make it easier to get there. There are probably limitations to how advanced tools you can create in JS format, but if you run into one of these limitations you can usually adapt the way you work to get around it.
JonLinnarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 06:48 AM   #5
EdoKey

These are great suggestions, Jon,
i am familiar with the Rea plugins but i didn't know about e.g. Complab, RCInflator, WildWaveFu etc.
Probably, i have them already, there are so many JSFX plugins just sleeping on my disk!

Thanks a lot, will check them all out!