Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 08-12-2020, 09:39 PM   #1
Lophophora
Human being with feelings

Default Is there a way to control both midi and audio in the same track?

Hi,

For years I've been recording keys using my midi controller to play, and an outboard synth to generate the audio. Here's how I do it:

- create one track for the midi controller (input = midi > controller) + create a midi output to the audio interface

- create one track for the audio (input = stereo > synth L and R channels)

I'm just wondering if there is any trick to manage both keyboards in a single track?
Lophophora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:15 AM   #2
jrk

Why would you want to?
Old 08-13-2020, 05:18 AM   #3
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lophophora View Post
Hi,

For years I've been recording keys using my midi controller to play, and an outboard synth to generate the audio. Here's how I do it:

- create one track for the midi controller (input = midi > controller) + create a midi output to the audio interface

I'm just wondering if there is any trick to manage both keyboards in a single track?
yes, ReaInsert
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:48 AM   #4
Lophophora

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrk View Post
Why would you want to?
Just to speed up my workflow and de-clutter the mixer in large projects with a lot of these.
Lophophora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:05 AM   #5
jrk

Quote:
Just to speed up my workflow and de-clutter the mixer in large projects with a lot of these.
I'm sorry, I came over a bit snarky there. It wouldn't suit me, but obv. whatever works for you.
All the best.
Old 08-14-2020, 03:13 AM   #6
uksnowy

Quote:
Hi,

I am not sure this is possible because each of your devices need to be an input. The controller is a MIDI input and the sound module is an audio input. To my knowledge a single Reaper channel cannot have multiple inputs. Having consider why you need to have more than one MIDI controller channel. If you have to keep discreet channels to hold the MIDI data for the individual tracks then I think you already have the setup. But, and this is what I do, I have one MIDI control channel where i play in my MIDI notes. I then render the audio for that part and I can push that MIDI part to outside the limits of the song, so that I retain it but it does not play anything. I can then use the MIDI channel for the next part. The trade off here is that you have to render/freeze tracks, which often is not a bad thing for getting shit done.
Old 08-14-2020, 02:08 PM   #7
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by uksnowy View Post
I am not sure this is possible because each of your devices need to be an input. The controller is a MIDI input and the sound module is an audio input. To my knowledge a single Reaper channel cannot have multiple inputs.
ReaInsert will work for this, your track input will be the controller (MIDI) this sends to the synth, which then sends it's audio back to the channel (which you can record as audio if you wish)
Reaper channels can receive from multiple sources, MIDI or audio, and are not restricted to one or the other.
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote