Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 12-17-2020, 05:06 PM   #1
edvabro
Human being with feelings

Default Random Sped up at one point in recorded tracks

Hi, all!

I just encountered a weird problem that I couldn't solve yet and looking around could not find anyone having the same issue:

I recorded some tracks with my Focusrite Saffire Pro40 (firewire) into my Macbook pro and everything was fine until at one point there was like a glitch and everything became higher (between a 1/4 step and half step) and a little bit faster.

My first thought was that the sample rate changed, but I looked everywhere and it seems that in Reaper, on the Saffire Mixcontrol and in Audio MIDI Setup it's set to 48kHz, which is the sample rate I recorded in.

Then I checked the playback rate, the metronome, the setting where you can change what a tempo change does (if it stretches the audio to fit the tempo). But I guess there couldn't be a problem with this, since the playrate changed in that one spot and stayed even if I started from the top.

Exporting also didn't help, basically nothing I could think of more.

Since we couldn't find a solution to the problem we restarted the project and rerecorded everything, as a joke I opened the previous project and it was fine again. But after a few takes it changed the speed and pitch again.

So I wanted to ask if anyone's encountered the same problem and maybe can help me to understand what might have happened so I know how to fix it in the future?

Thanks a lot! Let me know if you need some clarifications or more details.
edvabro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 03:40 PM   #2
dfackler

The pitch change you describe is the difference between 48 khz and 44.1 khz. Did you check the requested sample rate setting in the REAPER audio device preferences?

That’s the only idea in my head ATM.

~d
dfackler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 09:05 AM   #3
edvabro

Yeah, as I described it's 48kHz on every setting - preferences, project settings, saffire mixcontrol, audio midi setup (can't think of any other clock that might be involved). It really does sound like a sample rate issue, but it's a real head scratcher since it did return to the original pitch and tempo and after recording a few takes went back again. So still looking for answers on this one.
Old 12-27-2020, 09:28 AM   #4
hscottaudio

Did you turn anything on that could have served as an external clock speed? Mid way through recording perhaps?

I’ve had similar issues when working with adat optical devices plugged in and my clock source set to external, it’ll suddenly grab that as a clock source if it detects it ( as apppsed to internal)
hscottaudio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 09:35 AM   #5
edvabro

I have two of those Saffire's hooked up via ADAT and both are set to 48k. The n in MixControl I set one to ADAT and the other one to Internal, so should be that they sync correctly. The thing is that the recorded material was fine for a while and only after trying to do some overdubs it suddenly jumped. Then after a while went back to normal and then again jumped to this higher pitch. Also now the RAW files seem to have this higher pitch. So I guess I recorded it with that glitch, but somehow it sounded fine for a while in Reaper, which also seems strange.