Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 06-23-2020, 09:22 AM   #41
deeb
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
That's item (source) looping which is different to section looping, no?
(With section looping you can have a unlooped starting part and later on just loop a - section of the source.)

edit:
Maybe I misunderstood what you're asking.

I don't know in practice is the same in function .. if i loop a midi item then the section appears looping same same! but in midi items i am not able to change the sections like i can for audio. I guess i am missing something!

By doing this gif i am showing a bug or nitpik, i can't access the modifier , something change meanwhile i think , .. i have to do this procedure in order to access the source modifiers which is not good:
- change the length of the item in order to be able to access the modifier of the sections.

Anyone knows what i should do?

Old 06-23-2020, 11:20 AM   #42
Vagelis

On first gif with midi: we can't change the loop of a midi item on the arrange from the loop notch divider as we can do with audio, but we could do the same thing if we open the inline editor and drag the dividers from there, which is similar as if we have done the same with audio on the arrange.

On second gif: what are you trying to do ? use the loop start/end modifier?

It's not possible to extend the end of the loop to a new length since there's already an indicator. In order to make a new loop length there has to be no other indicator,because the first indicator specify the main loop length, so that after when you extend the edge of the item to loop on that length.

Edit: Basically now when there's already a looped item, if we set off the loop from the properties, we can't loop again the item with the start/end modifier.. Even if we set a new start/end loop we have to set the loop on again from the properties.

But there's no need to do this, since if you shrink the edge before the first indicator, then you can adjust a new loop length from there. Because it's similar as when you set the loop off, where it shows the first loop length only.

Last edited by Vagelis; 06-23-2020 at 11:39 AM.
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 11:58 AM   #43
deeb

Hi vagelis. Thanks ! What I am trying to do is showing how complicated it is and the things that in my opinion are missing in the cake, and a hope that we can have this back in the arrange for midi and have a similar workflow as audio (hopefully with some care) as an option.

In second gif also, I can't make the loop source length smaller or bigger without doing the procedure I described:- change the length of the item in order to be able to access the modifier of the sections.

And actually i would say 100% of the times when i am starting with a new audio file i want to make the length smaller, but the modifier does nothing. With the addition that we can't trust in mouse icons to know what we are doing with the modifier this gets really nasty ..

Last edited by deeb; 06-23-2020 at 12:07 PM.
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 12:07 PM   #44
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
In second gif also, I can't make the loop source length smaller or bigger without doing the procedure I described before. And actually i would say 100% of the times when i am starting with a new audio file i want to make the length smaller, but the modifier does nothing.
There's no need to set the loop on/off from the properties. Here's a gif, notice that i'm pointing the first indicator. I can change the loop smaller/bigger only if the edge is before the first indicator. So must be no visible indicator and then you can adjust a new length.

Old 06-23-2020, 12:36 PM   #45
deeb

thank you ! now i see! hmmm i need to get used to this , is a very new way of dealing with this for me .. Thank you i learned!

But why not left drag and right drag with the modifier in the edje of items shortents/increases the length immedialy source, . without changing the wave length constantly and repositioning.
Kind of what we do in midi editor with looping locators! what is the advantage of this? is very not natural but i need to get used - and i guess there is big reason or advantage which i cant see.

Also, do you have move loop section contents according to snap setting in your system?

Thank you so much ! i go sleep!
Old 06-23-2020, 01:37 PM   #46
Vagelis

Quote:
But why not left drag and right drag with the modifier in the edje of items shortents/increases the length immedialy source
Because left drag extends the start of the loop, while right drag extends the end of the loop. If you experiment more with it, you'll find out that it's a very nice and fast looping system.

Quote:
Also, do you have move loop section contents according to snap setting in your system?
I think there's no modifier to move loop section contents with snap, unfortunately.
Old 06-24-2020, 11:03 AM   #47
deeb

Ok! Thank you! I have to get use to it. Seems cool for uses that I never used before . Hope the snapping version of that modifier comes at some point then!

Last edited by deeb; 06-24-2020 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-16-2021, 09:42 AM   #48
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnif View Post
It would be more flexible and consistent to support also looping section of MIDI source. Same way as in audio items.
Creating a new MIDI item for looping part of existing item is a different workflow and does not allow same kind of creative experimentation as loop section editing.
Is it really difficult to implement in Reaper?
Ableton Live supports consistent loop section editing for both audio and MIDI.

jnif

^ This! is totally different workflow! less flexible and less consistent. In the user perspective: Item is Item has much as possible no matter audio or midi. Is sound and sequence in the end. Select both kinds and apply same action.

Last edited by deeb; 01-16-2021 at 09:48 AM.