Old 05-11-2014, 03:04 PM   #1
okieman
Human being with feelings

Default Best online training for basic skills?

I'm trying to settle on best online training--probably video--that isn't too old, too basic (How to make Reaper find plugins) or too esoteric (How to make a handclap sound like a jet). One thing puzzling me is whether any commercial videos are significantly better than free YouTube versions. I haven't yet risked any money.

I want to make a CD of my songwriting, arranging, recording. I'm playing most instruments. It's alt-rock with less electronics than usual. Well at least no synth. I don't mind processing a guitar track to get a certain texture. Normally I pick up new software easily. Reaper slows me down because I seem to be plowing through distracting options.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:41 PM   #2
ponk

I'd highly recommend Groove3 for training videos - a one month all access online pass is only $15. More info than you can consume, and Kenny Gioia's Reaper training videos are excellent.

http://www.groove3.com/str/reaper-training-videos/
ponk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:05 PM   #3
tls11823

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponk View Post
I'd highly recommend Groove3 for training videos - a one month all access online pass is only $15.
I agree 100%. With the all-access pass, you get an enormous wealth of information, some of it beginner, some of it advanced, and anything in-between. It's nice to focus on something as narrow as compression or reverb, or to learn about an entire software suite, depending on your needs and mood at the moment.

Definitely worth the money.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:49 PM   #4
ReaperMadness

Groove3

New Music: = Mourning Marrs =
ReaperMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:32 AM   #5
okieman

Groove3 was the one I had been most often looking at and wondering about.

Thanks all for the tip/nudge.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:12 AM   #6
Fergler

+1 for Groove 3, also don't limit yourself to just Reaper video tutorials. There are lots of Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase users etc with excellent mixing advice. It's usually not any problem at all to apply their lesson to your DAW. Also check out online articles like those on SOS (just avoid the magic-gear-lust articles...) and recording forum's sticky's or site articles like RecordingReview (many Cockos forum members on there like Boz and myself) and HomeRecording.com

I would also recommend the Home Recording Show for general extra knowledge. They don't cover too many specific mixing strategies unless they are interviewing someone or are asked about it, but do share lot's of great experience in recording and working with clients, too, if you get there. Some of that may apply to band-mates, too, they can be the most picky clients and they aren't even paying.

http://www.homerecordingshow.com/archives/
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:20 AM   #7
suleiman

If you have the patience to read, the Reaper manual is an amazing tutorial.

It actually has step by step excercises with screen shots for all major aspects for mixing etc in Reaper using native plugins.

Salamat
suleiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:40 PM   #8
ReaperMadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by suleiman View Post
If you have the patience to read, the Reaper manual is an amazing tutorial.

It actually has step by step excercises with screen shots for all major aspects for mixing etc in Reaper using native plugins.
Good point. It all breaks down to this: How does a particular individual best assimilate info - everybody's different (thank god).

The OP used the phrase "... haven't yet risked any money." - IMO, the Groove3 vids are not a risk. But that's me.

OP - Go to the Groove3 site and check out the free example vid and see if it suit's your style.

New Music: = Mourning Marrs =

Last edited by ReaperMadness; 05-12-2014 at 02:46 PM.
ReaperMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:14 PM   #9
okieman

For the benefit of other newbies like me *also* looking for video tutorials on general mixing techniques like developing your ear, I've gotten a lot from the "Into the Lair" series via Pensado's Place.