Old 03-04-2008, 10:13 AM   #1
g8torcliff
Human being with feelings

Default VSTi's - sounding real or close?

I have an instance to add some sax to a slow bluesy tune. I am using using the alto sax in DSK Brass. I am fairly happy with the sound of the sax, but I would love to have some pointers on making VSTi's sound a little more believable - once in a while the sound shows it is coming from a midi keyboard.
My keyboard is so old I'm not even sure what model it is but it is one of the original Yamaha's from the mid 80's (I inherited it). Is the only way to get slurred notes is to draw them on the piano roll? If so, how do you do that? Almost every instrument needs to be done this way or they just don't sound real...

Is there a way....??

thanx

cliff
g8torcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:17 AM   #2
Guod3

Use pitchbend to slur notes. Use legato mode if your VSTi supports it. If it's section work rather than a solo, use minor timing variations and the above on each part individually. A really lifelike horn section can be done this way. For a solo bends and legato grace notes can add expressivity.
Guod3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 05:28 AM   #3
susbemol

I think it is also a good idea to remember to use some Expression and Modulation control (MIDI CC#11 and CC#01, respectively). A saxophonist would always vary characteristics of notes using many different techniques. Using these 2 controls (I do it via a foot expression pedal) helps a lot with realism, IMHO. Try it and see what you think.

It'd be good if you could also post a sound sample, if you can.
susbemol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:17 AM   #4
plamuk

some instruments can be programmed realistically
some can not. i have NEVER had good luck with sax.
plamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:21 AM   #5
susbemol

Well, I know several people who have... there are some here too: http://www.linplug.com/Instruments/S...2/saxlab_2.htm
susbemol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:49 AM   #6
g8torcliff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guod3 View Post
Use pitchbend to slur notes. Use legato mode if your VSTi supports it.
If you are talking about ReaPitch, I will give it a try. Otherwise, like I mentioned, my inherited keyboard doesn't have any extras....just MIDI ins & outs....no weighted keys or anything like that. I am not sure if the DSK Brass supports legato. I will look when I get back home to my sanctuary...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saulopv View Post
I think it is also a good idea to remember to use some Expression and Modulation control (MIDI CC#11 and CC#01, respectively). It'd be good if you could also post a sound sample, if you can.
I'm not that good at using MIDI so I don't understand the references to CC#11 and CC#01. I know what you are talking about and where they are located, but I don't know how they are used.

DSK Brass is a free VSTi. The sax I used is located in the last part of the song "Fade to Black" which you can get to by clicking my signature. ( not a promo...I hate directing people to click my sig and I'm sure nothing special....)

Thanks you guys...I will try to get to what you suggest...

cliff
g8torcliff is offline   Reply With Quote