Old 09-01-2020, 04:06 PM   #1
reffari
Human being with feelings

Default Roland V-Drums Via MIDI/USB Cable

Hello everyone,

I have been using Reaper for years and until now have been recording Roland V-Drums (TD-12) from an amp into a USB microphone. I finally decided that I wanted enhanced clarity and editing possibilities that MIDI offers. So I purchased a MIDI cable that also plugs into USB, thinking it would simply be a matter of plug in, drum, and start editing.

No matter what I've tried, I haven't been able to get drumming recognized by Reaper. I downloaded MT PowerDrumKit as the plugin, have enabled MIDI devices, all inputs, all channels, etc., but I still can't get a reading on the track.

Does anyone have experience drumming on V-Drums and being able to get the performance into Reaper via MIDI? The ultimate goal is be able to do that and also hopefully be able to edit each aspect of the drums separately.

Any help would be appreciated!
reffari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:05 PM   #2
hangnef

Quote:
Originally Posted by reffari View Post
Hello everyone,

I have been using Reaper for years and until now have been recording Roland V-Drums (TD-12) from an amp into a USB microphone. I finally decided that I wanted enhanced clarity and editing possibilities that MIDI offers. So I purchased a MIDI cable that also plugs into USB, thinking it would simply be a matter of plug in, drum, and start editing.

No matter what I've tried, I haven't been able to get drumming recognized by Reaper. I downloaded MT PowerDrumKit as the plugin, have enabled MIDI devices, all inputs, all channels, etc., but I still can't get a reading on the track.

Does anyone have experience drumming on V-Drums and being able to get the performance into Reaper via MIDI? The ultimate goal is be able to do that and also hopefully be able to edit each aspect of the drums separately.

Any help would be appreciated!
I’m using a similar setup (td11). I did have to use the midi remapper to get notes to line up with the VST I’m using. Are you not even seeing MIDI activity at all?
hangnef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 07:38 PM   #3
reffari

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangnef View Post
I’m using a similar setup (td11). I did have to use the midi remapper to get notes to line up with the VST I’m using. Are you not even seeing MIDI activity at all?
Yes, exactly. I'm not even seeing MIDI activity. I wish I could get to the next step of mapping notes. For now, I'm trying to get Reaper to detect my drums being hit.
Old 09-03-2020, 11:46 PM   #4
ivansc

Go into options/preferences/ MIDI devices & enable the Roland. Always assuming it shows up there. If not, try seeing if Roland still have a MIDI driver for the TD12.. I have a TD8 which is five pin MIDI lead only and it just shows up on whichever of my two MIDI I/Os I plug it into, but NOT as a named item. IIR the TD12 does have a 5 pin socket as well, so you could always try plugging a 5 pin lead into it & then plugging that into your interface, assuming it does MIDI I/O. Good luck!
Old 09-04-2020, 10:28 AM   #5
hangnef

I was going to to suggest that as well, ensure you have the TD12 drivers installed (if there are any). My TD-11 has a driver package (it is MIDI over USB) which I had to install before I got any MIDI input into the computer. I had a TD-20 (TD-12s big brother I think) and can't remember if it had USB MIDI or not.
hangnef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 11:04 AM   #6
solger

If you haven't already, also double-check the MIDI settings on the TD-12 module itself.

More info in chapter 9 (Settings for the Entire TD-12) - starting on page 72: https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/TD-12_OM.pdf
Old 09-05-2020, 03:59 PM   #7
reffari

Everyone--thanks for all the tips and suggestions! I had no idea Roland TD 12 needed an update. I'm working on that step as well as adjusting a few MIDI settings, such as local control. Let's see if I'll get some activity soon.
Old 09-07-2020, 12:34 PM   #8
reffari

A big "Thank you!" to everyone who posted suggestions on this thread. My Roland TD-12 is now updated, and I'm able to record drumming via MIDI in Reaper. Awesome!
Old 09-08-2020, 05:24 AM   #9
Dark Fader

Great to hear!
For anyone else having problems with Roland v-drums, I'll just share my experience with my TD-11 on a new Win 10 computer. Long story short: the TD-11 was very sensitive to the USB cable. I swapped it out twice, still problems. Finally found the original cable ( dark grey, with moulded ferrites), been rock solid ever since!

Last edited by Dark Fader; 09-08-2020 at 05:27 AM. Reason: It sent before I was finished typing!
Dark Fader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 07:42 AM   #10
ivansc

One reason I have stuck with my TD8. Rock solid & still uses a simple 5 pin DIN MIDI cable into my interface.

I have never ever had an issue with it & it is now expanded to full TD12 spec but with more mesh head drums, a better kick pad & multi-zone snare.

All on a gibraltar rack so I don`t have to worry about that cheap plastic frame falling apart either.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:36 AM   #11
Dark Fader

The TD-11 has a MIDI out DIN, but alas no MIDI in DIN.
Dark Fader is offline   Reply With Quote