Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 03-07-2021, 02:51 PM   #1
Smokedealer
Human being with feelings

Default Bias FX 2 - The only plugin that pops.

I've been using Bias FX 2 for quite some time but recently I noticed some popping sounds during recording and playback. Please hear me out before you go with "yeah buffer problem, thread closed". After some experimentation I found out, that Bias FX 2 is the sole reason this happens. Even when I have one track with Bias on it, it's still a problem. Before I go further into my research I'd like to give you some specs.

PC:
CPU: i9-9900KS
RAM: 64GB 3200MHz
GPU: 2080 Ti (but I don't think that the GPU is relevant)
Both Reaper and all my plugins are on a M.2 SSD
Windows 10

Recording on Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (I also tested it with 18i20 with no difference)

So, how do I know it's Bias? First I thought there is something with my setup, so I did the basic stuff - update drivers (windows, focusrite, chipset, ...), fiddle with buffer size, try different interface, disable other audio devices that are not in use and still pops.

I have a pretty beefy computer so I was shocked that it couldn't handle a few FX. So I tried disabling FX one by one and the issue goes away, when I disable Bias. As I said earlier, the issue is present even with one instance of Bias and no other tracks or FX.

So I tried other Amp Sims to see, if the problem is global or at least happens somewhere else as well. I tried Line 6 Helix, Archetype Gojira, FabFilter Saturn 2 (not exactly an amp sim, but yeah) and Guitar Rig. None of them pop. I can have 10 instances of other amp sims at once and not a single pop. But one instance of Bias and the popping is back.

I have an older computer where Bias runs fine up to 3 instances (same version of reaper, bias and same interface)

Sample rate and buffer size do NOT have any impact on the pops. Not even at 4k buffer.

So what's left... ASIO driver? Updated.. I even tried Asio4All... no luck.

Latency Monitor - No problems (multiple 12h recordings and all green)

All that is left is reinstalling windows, which is just the last resort. At this point I am more interested in knowing why this is happening. Renders are just fine so the pops are only annoying while recording and mixing (although I can freeze the track and the problem is gone).

I tried searching far and wide for a solution and even read an in depth whitepaper on how OSs work and how to optimize them for audio recording. Most of the forum posts and blogs usually sweep the issue under the rug with "increase your buffer size".

So what I ask is this. Is there anyone else having this or similar issue? How did you solve it? What steps should I take to find the root cause?

Last edited by Smokedealer; 03-15-2021 at 09:52 AM.
Smokedealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 07:51 AM   #2
jean-yves

I've had the same issue with the trial version I installed a few days ago (windows 64 version). It seems that has been quite heavy on the CPU.
I uninstalled it yesterday.
Old 03-12-2021, 10:40 AM   #3
beingmf

Could it be that it wants to phone home (authorization) while your WiFi is off? So it might get stuck in a loop?

Because I don't have any problems.
Old 03-12-2021, 12:50 PM   #4
jean-yves

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
Could it be that it wants to phone home (authorization) while your WiFi is off? So it might get stuck in a loop?

Because I don't have any problems.
Well, I don't think so. All my computers are on an ethernet network, allways connected to the internet.
The plugin was sluggish, and there were many pops and cracks as mentionned by Smokedealer. And it was a trial version.

I'm very disappointed cause I've heard so many good reviews and I wanted to make a try.

However, I don't like very much this closed system where you have to pay for anything, ampsims or effects. It reminds me of Kontakt, and for me, it' the devil right in my daw.