Old 12-03-2019, 06:27 PM   #1
Joe90
Human being with feelings

Default Track name color in the V6 default theme

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but is there a simple way of making the track name font white, instead of coloured with the track colour? Particularly in the TCP.
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:36 AM   #2
Klangfarben

Default Track name color in the V6 default theme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Apologies if this has already been discussed, but is there a simple way of making the track name font white, instead of coloured with the track colour? Particularly in the TCP.
Yeah, this is just completely painful. Text color should NOT match track color. I'm literally going to go blind trying to read this.

Also, and I mean no offense by this but WT are you testing this at all in large template projects? Like 500-1000 tracks with folder indents/child tracks, etc? Because this theme really has a lot of shortcomings with large track counts. I fully understand you have to make choices that obviously can't support all users but a well designed GUI should look the same with a few tracks and a lot of tracks. No end user is ever going to understand why GUI elements would look different with a different amount of tracks no matter how much you explain it to them.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:40 AM   #3
sonicowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
Yeah, this is just completely painful. Text color should NOT match track color. I'm literally going to go blind trying to read this.

+1, please, just give us an option to set single color for track names. Those who like them in multi colors can have that option too.
sonicowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:17 AM   #4
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Changing track name colour has already been covered.

If, at some point in the future, you ask me to do something totally legitimate in a theme that you need but you've not been served it by any existing theme, and you make a good case for why, there is a fair chance I'll do it. And I'll stand up for your idea and your needs no matter how many people get cross about it on the forum. I would absolutely do that for you. But the bad news is that I'll do it for other people as well. Sorry man, that's just how it is, and I'm utterly convinced its the right way.

There will always be people who don't like the theme. And Reaper is now so big that even a small chunk would amount to a lot of people. I'm okay with this, and am at peace with it being unavoidable. If you like another theme, use it. If you don't feel served by any theme ...well now that's much more interesting. That's what gets my attention.

Quote:
I'm literally going to go blind trying to read this.
Quick tip : hyperbole makes whatever point you are trying to make seem more frivolous.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:02 AM   #5
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
Quick tip : hyperbole makes whatever point you are trying to make seem more frivolous.
What makes you think that was hyperbole? It wasn't. I have two 3440 x 1440 monitors and I can't read the text in this theme, most especially the track names.

No one is going to argue that you have a shitty job here and a rather thankless one at that. But when you say things like "this has already been discussed" or "this isn't going to change" it's not helping. This is 6.0 and now a lot of regular end users have jumped into the fray. They haven't seen all the discussions or arguments for/against or wandered into the pre-release threads before. They are just trying to use it. Nor is saying, just use another theme. This is what Reaper 6.0 ships with and currently the ONLY theme fully compatible with the new feature set.

That aside though, I will grant your request and just make the use case.

Currently, with track name text matching track color, there is not enough differentiation between the text name and the track. Most times when users have a moderate to large number of tracks, the track heights are narrower. In this case, since there is not much else in the TCP besides track names and track color, it is very difficult to read. This holds true for any TCP layout where tracks are narrow. Furthermore, when you have an entire screen filled with tracks with a narrow layout on a larger monitor, trying to scan the TCP for a specific track becomes much more difficult, almost impossible as the eye is trying to process information that is all the same color, text and track alike. Thus slowing down a users workflow simply trying to find a specific track as the eye does not have enough information to differentiate.

Furthermore, previous default themes did not match track name text color to track color so previous users of the default theme have no way of trying to match similar settings. They have to accept this workflow or use a completely different theme, many of which have never done so. This is generally not how Reaper adds new features. Reaper almost always keeps previous functionality while adopting new features with either new preferences or options for those new features. So by not having the ability to match similar settings to the default 5 theme, the Reaper model is not being followed. Since both colored text and non-colored text can be accommodated, there is not a compelling reason to not do it as this is how features are normally treated. Whether one agrees or not, this has been the model adopted by the developers.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:05 AM   #6
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

The default 5 theme is included with Reaper v6.

Every Reaper theme ever made is still compatible with, and fully exposes, 100% of Reaper's functionality.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:30 AM   #7
Klangfarben

Quote:
The default 5 theme is included with Reaper v6.

Every Reaper theme ever made is still compatible with, and fully exposes, 100% of Reaper's functionality.
Can default Reaper 5 theme use any of the new theme additions or no? If no, then this would not be in line with the Reaper model.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:50 AM   #8
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Hang on, is your contention that people who like the V5 theme, which didn't have a theme adjuster script and still doesn't, are disadvantaged because the V6 theme has a theme adjuster script? If so, I ...er... yeah no.

As to your broader point, it is neither necessary nor appropriate for you to determine what is or isn't best for Reaper, what the Reaper model is or isn't, or to instruct me regarding them, unless you are Justin.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:59 AM   #9
benf

New balls
Old 12-06-2019, 11:08 AM   #10
Klangfarben

Quote:
Hang on, is your contention that people who like the V5 theme, which didn't have a theme adjuster script and still doesn't, are disadvantaged because the V6 theme has a theme adjuster script? If so, I ...er... yeah no.

As to your broader point, it is neither necessary nor appropriate for you to determine what is or isn't best for Reaper, what the Reaper model is or isn't, or to instruct me regarding them, unless you are Justin.
I've been very clear from the start here. You made an executive decision that text color should match track color in the V6 theme. I made a use case that previous default themes did not do this. So, from an end user standpoint if they want to use new features of the V6 theme, they either have to accept colored text and not be able to use similar settings, or use an older theme. This is not the way Justin or Schwa has treated updates and feature additions by either locking out or completely removing previous functionality. I am in no way making any kind of determination here or instructing you, only pointing out how justin and Schwa themselves deal with this. Not sure why you are making a simple use case directly about yourself. It isn't.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:52 AM   #11
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
treated updates and feature additions by either locking out or completely removing previous functionality.
But the V5 theme is still there. Nothing has been locked out or removed. I'm not sure how else to explain it.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:21 PM   #12
Klangfarben

Quote:
But the V5 theme is still there. Nothing has been locked out or removed. I'm not sure how else to explain it.
It has been locked because users can't use any of the new V6 theme features. It's either colored text and new features or non-colored text and old theme with no new features. It's like if Reaper 6.1 removed redraw optimizations in the arrange page and the developers just said, well stick to 6.0 then if you want redraw optimizations. And you were then locked out of every new feature added to 6.1 and beyond. That in fact is the definition of being locked out - previous behavior being removed and not being able to use any of the new behavior in order to continue using it.

There are compelling use cases. Multiple users have chimed in and I'm sure more will. It's something that has always been an option in the default theme. I'm hoping you don't lock users out of that option so that users can move forward with both Reaper V6 and the Reaper V6 theme.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:27 PM   #13
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
It's like if Reaper 6.1 removed redraw optimizations in the arrange page and the developers just said, well stick to 6.0 then if you want redraw optimizations. And you were then locked out of every new feature added to 6.1 and beyond.
Yeah, that's exactly the opposite of how Reaper themes work.

I can keep explaining this to you, but I can't understand it for you.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:54 PM   #14
Klangfarben

Quote:
Yeah, that's exactly the opposite of how Reaper themes work.

I can keep explaining this to you, but I can't understand it for you.
Don't need an Ad hominem. Not asking you to explain it. Asking for non-colored text. Along with several others. You seem to be having a lot of issue with my second use case so maybe focus on the first which is the colored text is very difficult to read especially on narrow track layouts and exacerbated with larger monitors and higher track counts.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:19 PM   #15
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Not asking you to explain it. Asking for non-colored text.
And there it is. You want me to do what you want. I understand; you have the luxury of asking, but I absolutely do not have the luxury of pretending everyone wants the same thing.

The answer is no.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:24 PM   #16
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

If anyone is caught in this misconception that this is a situation of "WT doing what he wants" vs. "WT doing what I want", it bares repeating this...

This is what "WT doing what he wants" looks like:

...so clearly that is an absolutely nonsense narrative that may be tempting to believe because you're not happy you didn't get your way, but you're not going to get anywhere if you expect me to believe it.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:30 PM   #17
JamesPeters

If you want the track names to be a specific color, you can do it with the info WT provided. Here are the steps:

-open the reaperthemezip file with whatever archiver you have (zip etc.)
-extract the rtconfig.txt file from it.
-browse to the line WT specified.
-change it to what he specified (using numbers that represent the colors, for instance "[255 255 255]" is RGB all at 100% or pure white).
-save the file.
-put the newly saved file back into the reaperthemezip, replacing the original.

(Alternately you can work from the extracted reaperthemezip. It doesn't have to remain compressed in a zip file. But that involves more explaining. The fastest way is above, in my opinion.)
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 01:45 PM   #18
Joe90

Quote:
If anyone is caught in this misconception that this is a situation of "WT doing what he wants" vs. "WT doing what I want", it bares repeating this...

This is what "WT doing what he wants" looks like:

Woah... what is this?!

Edit - I see from the picture link name that it's your imperial theme - I clearly need to take another look at that one.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:46 PM   #19
Klangfarben

Quote:
And there it is. You want me to do what you want. I understand; you have the luxury of asking, but I absolutely do not have the luxury of pretending everyone wants the same thing.

The answer is no.
I was asking. Along with several other users. I didn't say do what I want. I didn't say you need to do this or that. Keep in mind, we are talking about a lot of users that do not want it that way. Not just me. And not a one of them said "do what I want".

Quote:
so clearly that is an absolutely nonsense narrative that may be tempting to believe because you're not happy you didn't get your way, but you're not going to get anywhere if you expect me to believe it.
You do realize you are conjuring this out of thin air right? This theme just got released to the public. People are going to make requests. People are going to have opinions. That doesn't equate to some cloak and dagger "narrative" conspiracy going on.

You need to stop taking everything as a personal attack. You will live a lot longer. Yes, as the designer of the theme of course you can say no. But be prepared to deal with opposition when you make choices like this. And I sincerely hope you handle it with as much grace and class as Justin and Schwa do.

Last edited by Klangfarben; 12-06-2019 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:54 PM   #20
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Don't need an Ad hominem.
Quote:
You need to stop taking everything as a personal attack.
Make your mind up, fella.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:24 PM   #21
Klangfarben

Quote:
Make your mind up, fella.
Eerily similar using Ad hominem and also considering everything as a personal attack. Almost as if the two are linked somehow...
Old 12-06-2019, 02:35 PM   #22
_Stevie_

Quote:
I was asking. Along with several other users.
Yes, I am one of those.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:32 PM   #23
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

I've put a very easy mod spot in.

Firstly, read this sticky to learn how to unpack a theme. Then find the file rtconfig.txt, look for line 61.

Code:
>line 61<
; macro for the color of track labels, with tweaked custom color inheritance if a custom color is too dark
macro trackLabelColor element
	set element               	?recarm [255 100 0] ?track_selected [255 255 255] ?trackcolor_valid  luma{0}<120 + custom_col [80 80 80] custom_col [168 172 172]
endmacro
change that to:
Code:
	set element    [your color]
endmacro
Save and then refresh the theme, and it will do it for all the track names on all the layouts. Enjoy!

Last edited by White Tie; 12-06-2019 at 03:58 PM.
White Tie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 03:51 PM   #24
Thonex

Quote:
I've put a very easy mod spot in:

Code:
>line 61<
; macro for the color of track labels, with tweaked custom color inheritance if a custom color is too dark
	set element               	?recarm [255 100 0] ?track_selected [255 255 255] ?trackcolor_valid  luma{0}<120 + custom_col [80 80 80] custom_col [168 172 172]
endmacro
change that to:
Code:
	set element    [your color]
endmacro
and it will do it for all the track names on all the layouts. Enjoy!

Thanks for this WT!!! Can you explain a little more where I would find this "line 61"? A little explanation would help a lot. Thanks for doing this!

Cheers,

Andrew K
Old 12-06-2019, 03:56 PM   #25
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Sure thing, I'll amend the instruction into my post.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:02 PM   #26
yimbot

Just to stir the pot - I love the coloured labels - it reinforces my track colouring convention. I know my rhythm guitars are always a certain green (using the SWS extension) and that section of my project is now doubly highlighted - especially with the addition of vertical folder borders in the MCP! Much Nicer!
Although I did set the folder indent on the MCP to 0, otherwise it looks a little weird to my eye...
yimbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:12 PM   #27
Klangfarben

Quote:
I've put a very easy mod spot in
Thank you very much WT and James for this info. Is anyone helping with doc for this stuff? I'm guessing there's going to be a lot of these kind of things for new V6 and V6 theme users.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:25 PM   #28
Joe90

Thank you for your clarification White Tie and James. Much appreciated.

After all this heated discussion around this topic I feel slightly bad that I've just rolled back to my mod of 5.0 nitpicky anyway, as I prefer the small MCP layout with proper faders, and the overall intelligibility of selected tracks in both TCP and MCP.

White Tie - I am no WALTER expert (I couldn't code my way out of a paper bag), but I'm now remembering that I managed to mod the 5.0 theme .png files for the selected TCP/MCP to get them very bright and clear when selected. Does the presence of the new theme adjuster in 6.0 mean that it is more difficult to make these type of mods now? If not, then maybe I'll prepare a 6.0 'higher contrast' version to address some of these quibbles.

I'm assuming I couldn't copy a layout from 5.0 to 6.0 either? I know I'd need to copy across the chunk of WALTER code that represents the layout, and the folder with the image files too, but would it even work?

Thank you for your help.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:36 PM   #29
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Does the presence of the new theme adjuster in 6.0 mean that it is more difficult to make these type of mods now? If not, then maybe I'll prepare a 6.0 'higher contrast' version to address some of these quibbles.

I'm assuming I couldn't copy a layout from 5.0 to 6.0 either? I know I'd need to copy across the chunk of WALTER code that represents the layout, and the folder with the image files too, but would it even work?
Yes, that's all completely unchanged and will all work fine. Ignore all the shouting and nonsense, this happens every time and will settle down in due course All you need to know is that some new good things have been added, they operate alongside all the things you are used to, everything you used to do still works, but some of it is now actually easier and has a friendly and optional user-facing script to do it.

Were you to make new layouts inside the V6 theme, all that would mean is that, obviously, they wouldn't be directly alterable with the theme adjuster script unless you wanted to try your hand at scripting as well.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:00 PM   #30
Joe90

Thanks White Tie - last question I promise -

I personally don't ever need a larger MCP layout, but I do love the theme adjuster (one of my previous Reaper gripes was a lack of clear indication of child/parent status at a glance, your script fixes this quite elegantly) but I need faders - so a solution for me for getting a small 6.0 layout with faders might be just reducing the MCP width of the main 6.0 MCP layout... Is this possible? Could I make the whole thing narrower, but so it still responds to the theme adjuster? Many users running at a lower resolution, or on laptops, could benefit from small layouts with faders too.

I know there are MCP layout width settings in the WALTER code - but I also assume they need to fit in with the appropriate .png files - would I need to resize those too? I ask because those two things I could probably figure out, but I suspect it could mess up the behaviour of the adjuster script?
Old 12-06-2019, 05:19 PM   #31
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

No, you have nothing to fear from the script. It just sends parameters to the theme, which appear as normal WALTER variables.

The WALTER is the complicated bit, but if you break it its only going to break in the same old "well, that's all looking very wrong now" manner, its not going to damage Reaper or anything
Old 12-06-2019, 08:21 PM   #32
oneammonday

Please stop being mad at one another. It IS difficult to convey thoughts in a respectful manner on the internet. We all know that. I spent my youth disliking my fellow man, bordering and surpassing hatred for no real reason. It has taken the failing of my body and diminishing health to realize my errors. Please think of those freezing to death on a street this very night. Those starving at THIS very moment. WT, your first post in this thread didn't need to go any further than the link that will send people to the information needed. Just imagine how gracious you could have been. Klangfarben (and others), you all could have just posted "thanks, have a happy Christmas (or holidays, or something nice)" and been the better men (women, souls, whatever). Please forgive me for getting on "my high horse" (I hope that metaphor works here). I hope I don't sound too pious, That is definitely not me. I usually cuss like a sailor and just might say the wrong things in mixed company. I've just felt beaten lately and would just like to tell the world that some things matter and some things don't. One thing that doesn't matter is trumped up pride. Good luck to everyone.
oneammonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 04:07 AM   #33
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneammonday View Post
WT, your first post in this thread didn't need to go any further than the link that will send people to the information needed. Just imagine how gracious you could have been.
You're absolutely right, I'm sorry. This thread is made up of posts that I moved out of my pre-release work thread, where usually I would give an answer, maybe a fix and then delete the rest (as ever, normal moderation practices are suspended for my work pre-forum threads) because I don't have time for an internet argument when I've got work to do. But sometimes, when I have the spare time, even I get to go down the rabbit hole And there it all was : wasn't useful, no one learnt anything, high school debate club latin, the lot. This stuff always happens when a new default theme is launched, nothing to be alarmed about.
Old 12-07-2019, 03:17 PM   #34
oneammonday

Wonderful, WT. I reread my post today and thought I sounded like some sidewalk preacher. Good luck and cheers to you and yours and all who read this.
oneammonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 01:29 AM   #35
Quasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
If you want the track names to be a specific color, you can do it with the info WT provided. Here are the steps:

-open the reaperthemezip file with whatever archiver you have (zip etc.)
-extract the rtconfig.txt file from it.
-browse to the line WT specified.
-change it to what he specified (using numbers that represent the colors, for instance "[255 255 255]" is RGB all at 100% or pure white).
-save the file.
-put the newly saved file back into the reaperthemezip, replacing the original.

(Alternately you can work from the extracted reaperthemezip. It doesn't have to remain compressed in a zip file. But that involves more explaining. The fastest way is above, in my opinion.)
For whatever reason, I couldn't get this to work. It rendered the text invisible when not selected. Could be pilot error, but I did it twice and tried to be careful.

What did work was deleting everything from line 43 through 59, then changing each numeric value within a "[]" to [255, 255, 255] on 63, which became 45 after the deletion. Now I have unchanging white text on a black background for all scenarios, whether or not colored, selected, armed... Not that I have any idea why.
Quasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 01:40 AM   #36
mathurgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasar View Post
For whatever reason, I couldn't get this to work. It rendered the text invisible when not selected.
Hey, Quasar. Here's what I have in my rtconfig (lines 61 - 64):

Code:
	set element               	?recarm [255 255 255] [184 184 184]
endmacro
This will give you light grey text unless a track is record armed, in which case the text becomes white:

Hope this helps! Thanks again to WT for the instructions.

Last edited by mathurgood; 12-09-2019 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Quote didn't link to post!
mathurgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:51 PM   #37
Joe90

Reviving this thread slightly on the hope that someone can help with another question - I'd like my track names positioned above the fader like the 5.0 theme. I've figured out how to change the height of the name label to the (roughly) correct position, but I have NO idea how to make the name labels 'stick' to the faders, so that they move when resizing mixer tracks. The names just stick in one static spot and become misaligned if a track is not one set height in the mixer.

White Tie, or anyone else... I'd greatly appreciate some pointers on how I might go about making this happen? Is it possible? I'm assuming it is, is this was the behaviour in the 5.0 theme.

Thanks!

EDIT: Don't worry, I figured it out.

Last edited by Joe90; 12-18-2019 at 02:30 AM.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:19 PM   #38
MariPoppins

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathurgood View Post
Hey, Quasar. Here's what I have in my rtconfig (lines 61 - 64):

Code:
	set element               	?recarm [255 255 255] [184 184 184]
endmacro
This will give you light grey text unless a track is record armed, in which case the text becomes white:

Hope this helps! Thanks again to WT for the instructions.
A bit unrelated to the topic but what did you do to your theme to colour only the header of the track and not all of it?
MariPoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:39 PM   #39
lerian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariPoppins View Post
A bit unrelated to the topic but what did you do to your theme to colour only the header of the track and not all of it?
transparency in the tcp_bg.png
lerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:11 AM   #40
Mordi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerian View Post
transparency in the tcp_bg.png
This also requires the line «version 5» somewhere in the rtconfig.