Old 05-07-2021, 12:46 PM   #1
XoechZ
Human being with feelings

Default EQ Pedal for tone shaping

Hello!

I am using an Ibanez JEM 7VWH into an Engl E530 preamp. Great sound by the way.
But for metal stuff the pickups (DiMarzio Evolutions) are not the best choice. I was told, and I also read online that you can use an EQ Pedal right after the guitar to shape the tone of your guitar. Nice!

So I bought a BOSS GE-7 for that task. I placed it between guitar and amp. But the results are not as expected.
You can change the tone of your guitar dramatically, they said. You can make a humbucker sound like a single coil, or vice versa. But NOT!

I don´t know if I am doing something wrong, but no matter how hard I tweak the GE-7, the results are very very subtile and almost not noteable.

What can I do? Is the output of my guitar too low to "drive" the EQ correctly?

The pedal is ok, because when I place it in the FX Loop of the amp, I can shape the sound dramatically. Even the smallest EQ moves change the sound noteable. But I do not want to change the amp sound, I want to change the sound of my guitar.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
XoechZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 04:45 PM   #2
ErBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by XoechZ View Post
But for metal stuff the pickups (DiMarzio Evolutions) are not the best choice.
How so? Not sure I buy that.

Quote:
So I bought a BOSS GE-7 for that task. I placed it between guitar and amp. But the results are not as expected.
You can change the tone of your guitar dramatically, they said. You can make a humbucker sound like a single coil, or vice versa. But NOT!

I don´t know if I am doing something wrong, but no matter how hard I tweak the GE-7, the results are very very subtile and almost not noteable.
This is just the reality of high-gain. Pre-distortion EQ sometimes has to be drastic for a significant change in tonality.

I suggest doing this: Route your guitar through Reaper then out to your guitar amp. Be careful to send a reasonable output level to your amp.
Experiment with digital EQ to get an idea what amount of EQ, if any, it takes to achieve the sound you're after.
You could even use ReaEQ.

Then find a pedal that can replicate this EQ curve. Maybe the GE-7 is the wrong pedal for you.

Quote:
Hello!
What can I do? Is the output of my guitar too low to "drive" the EQ correctly?
Not really. The pedal is built for a guitar level signal. I'd be more concerned with overdriving it.
ErBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 10:42 AM   #3
XoechZ

Hi again.

I have placed the EQ in the FX Loop. There it is much more effective and sounds great once you get used to how it works.
Old 05-08-2021, 11:01 AM   #4
karbomusic

Quote:
Hi again.

I have placed the EQ in the FX Loop. There it is much more effective and sounds great once you get used to how it works.
Doing it that way is perfectly fine FYI. That's what the FX loop is for, FX. A distortion or wah pedal isn't so good there but an EQ, Chorus, Delay, Flanger etc. will be fine there.
Old 05-08-2021, 01:42 PM   #5
ErBird

Quote:
Hi again.

Ok. I thought you were specifically trying to change your pickup sound.
If it worked out for you in the fx loop, then cool and good job.
ErBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 02:06 AM   #6
XoechZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErBird View Post
Ok. I thought you were specifically trying to change your pickup sound.
If it worked out for you in the fx loop, then cool and good job.
Yes, that was my initial idea. But since that did not work as expected, I found another solution, which is even better after some experimenting.