Old 05-07-2021, 09:48 AM   #1
Raistlin
Human being with feelings

Default No Audio Output

So I'm brand new to all of this. When I'm recording from my bass amp straight into my interface, I can see the little bars bouncing but when I play the recording I get no audio. I also can't hear the metronome.

Every other application plays audio out of my speakers except for Reaper. When I go to preferences I see that my input and output are correct.

Is there something I'm missing here?
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:31 AM   #2
Gibson_GM

Is something else open that might be taking precedence over Reaper? Web browser or some such thing.

If you're using Windows, is your Windows microphone setting screwing things up? I think, right click the speaker icon in your system tray and open Sound Settings or Sounds. The Magical Answer was in there somewhere, for me. Lets you choose your primary inputs/outputs and so on...just like in Reaper options. One of them had something to do w/microphone, sorry that's not very specific. Only about 3 choices in there anyway, you'll probably figure it out!

Oh, and in Reaper, you probably know....you have to ARM a track and hit the triangle "record monitor" button above ARM to hear your input after your interface is showing signal...but if no metronome probably something in the setup is buggy rather than that. And you WOULD hear what you record on playback anyway. Disregard if you know this.
Gibson_GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:38 AM   #3
Raistlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson_GM View Post
Is something else open that might be taking precedence over Reaper? Web browser or some such thing.

If you're using Windows, is your Windows microphone setting screwing things up? I think, right click the speaker icon in your system tray and open Sound Settings or Sounds. The Magical Answer was in there somewhere, for me. Lets you choose your primary inputs/outputs and so on...just like in Reaper options. One of them had something to do w/microphone, sorry that's not very specific. Only about 3 choices in there anyway, you'll probably figure it out!

Oh, and in Reaper, you probably know....you have to ARM a track and hit the triangle "record monitor" button above ARM to hear your input after your interface is showing signal...but if no metronome probably something in the setup is buggy rather than that. And you WOULD hear what you record on playback anyway. Disregard if you know this.
Thanks of the response. I'll try these things now and let you know if it helps.
Old 05-07-2021, 10:51 AM   #4
Raistlin

Quote:

Okay so that was not the issue, thoroughly appreciate the response though, thank you.
Old 05-07-2021, 12:06 PM   #5
Gibson_GM

Sorry to hear that. So others can see, what is your setup? (windoze? What interface...)

You get level in Reaper, meters go, but you can't hear it. And nothing on playback either, if you record something without hearing it?

Maybe a screen shot of your audio settings would help, if you can provide that...(CTRL+P, then Device)
Gibson_GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 12:25 PM   #6
Raistlin

Quote:
Sorry to hear that. So others can see, what is your setup? (windoze? What interface...)

You get level in Reaper, meters go, but you can't hear it. And nothing on playback either, if you record something without hearing it?

Maybe a screen shot of your audio settings would help, if you can provide that...(CTRL+P, then Device)
I am using an ONYX Producer 2-2 interface. I have no idea how to post a screenshot however lol.

And yes I am using Windows 10. This is actually a brand new computer I bought just for learning how to mix and master my own music.
Old 05-07-2021, 12:44 PM   #7
domzy

and the onyx is definitely selected as the device in Reaper's preferences?
what driver are you using?
have you checked the cables from interface to speakers?
are you getting output through the h/phones socket of interface?
domzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 01:26 PM   #8
Raistlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
and the onyx is definitely selected as the device in Reaper's preferences?
what driver are you using?
have you checked the cables from interface to speakers?
are you getting output through the h/phones socket of interface?
Both the input and the output are set as the ONYX. The audio system is set to WaveOut. The cables are good because I get audio output for literally every other application. And when I plug in my headphones I get nothing, however I do get audio from the headphones when doing anything else other than Reaper.

EDIT: I honestly don't know what a driver is. I'm a bit of a caveman.
Old 05-07-2021, 01:38 PM   #9
domzy

and your speakers / phones are plugged in to your onyx, not your computer?
domzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:08 PM   #10
zxzxzxzx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
Both the input and the output are set as the ONYX. The audio system is set to WaveOut. The cables are good because I get audio output for literally every other application. And when I plug in my headphones I get nothing, however I do get audio from the headphones when doing anything else other than Reaper.

EDIT: I honestly don't know what a driver is. I'm a bit of a caveman.
A driver is the software your device, computer and applications use to communicate with each other. You should have got a CD with the Onyx. If not then there should be instructions on where to acquire the driver for that device.

I'm just getting back into PC recording after a long hiatus. I'm having to relearn all of this input and output stuff again. It can be kind of painful.

The problem I run into most is other applications taking control of the device when I alt-tab between apps.

I would disable "system sounds" just to keep that out of the mix. Make sure when working you don't have a web browser paused on a video or something playing music or a game. It kind of sucks if you are watching tutorials though. Watch them on a phone or a tablet instead.

If you plugged your device into the computer and Windows loaded some default drivers, you should load the disk if you got one or download drivers from Mackie. I wouldn't trust Windows to load proper drivers for audio recording devices. Often times the drivers it loads are bare bone drivers with minimal functions. It recognizes it as an audio device and reads a name from it but doesn't include advanced functions.

I killed myself last night crash coursing Reaper and my MIDI drum instruments and ran into this problem a number of times. I can't remember off the top of my head exactly how I fixed it each time. Ill try to keep track and make notes of the steps I take to recover next time.
zxzxzxzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 09:52 PM   #11
zxzxzxzx

I forgot something I did last night which so far seems to be helping...

Search for instructions to enable both of your sound devices at the same time. I am running Windows 7 so I have no idea how to do it in Windows 10. Youtube should have tutorials for Win 10. A web search should yield a lot of results for Win 10. I had to dig around a bit more for Win 7 instructions.

I set the original sound device as default. The applications that play sound use that device as they normally would. In Reaper preferences, I set it to use my interface device.

Both devices now work independently. I am able to play a video in Firefox while Reaper is in playback and can switch between them without any hiccups as they are both actively playing.

Make sure your drivers are up to date with the Onyx and then try enabling both devices.

If you run into volume issues go into the playback device property and check volume level on the "Levels" tab. When I did a mouse over on the speaker icon it was at 100%. The device properties level was at 4%. Properties level lost sync the Windows mixer and volume controls. Maybe that was just Win 7 issue.

Good luck. I hope that helps. I forgot all about that until a few minutes ago.
Old 05-08-2021, 12:20 AM   #12
Raistlin

Quote:

Here's my settings in Reaper. Finally figured out how to post the screenshot.
Attached Images
File Type: png Reaper Settings (2).PNG (42.7 KB, 83 views)
Old 05-08-2021, 11:00 AM   #13
Raistlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
and your speakers / phones are plugged in to your onyx, not your computer?
Yes, everything is hooked up to my ONYX.
Old 05-08-2021, 11:07 AM   #14
zxzxzxzx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
Here's my settings in Reaper. Finally figured out how to post the screenshot.
"Audio System" should be ASIO or something that represents the Onyx. All of your recording IOs need to refer to AISO or the Onyx. Waveout is for your regular system audio.
Old 05-08-2021, 11:15 AM   #15
Raistlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxzxzxzx View Post
"Audio System" should be ASIO or something that represents the Onyx. All of your recording IOs need to refer to AISO or the Onyx. Waveout is for your regular system audio.
Can I just download an ASIO driver from google?
Old 05-08-2021, 11:55 AM   #16
Allybye

Try https://mackie.com/sites/default/fil...er_v4_47_0.zip

Instructions at https://mackie.com/sites/default/fil...structions.pdf
Allybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 12:00 PM   #17
Raistlin

ISSUE SOLVED!

Thank you everyone for being patient with me. I am technically useless and y'all helped a lot!