Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 09-24-2010, 04:24 PM   #1
bkinder
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper and Addictive Drums?

Hi I am new to Reaper and get around the basics right now with recording. I just downloaded Addictive Drums demo version and need to figure out a way to launch it in an instrument track through Reaper. Does anybody know how I can do this, or if it is not posible....then how I can start using drums in Reaper? I currently have a midi keyboard (AKAI proffessional LPK25) if this helps. I need help with this if anyone is knowledgable.

Thanks!
bkinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:31 PM   #2
EvilDragon

If you installed AD correctly, you should be able to see it as a VST in Reaper. Do this:

1. New project
2. Insert->Virtual instrument on new track...
3. Search the list for Addictive Drums
4. Press OK

That should do it.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:51 PM   #3
bkinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
If you installed AD correctly, you should be able to see it as a VST in Reaper. Do this:

1. New project
2. Insert->Virtual instrument on new track...
3. Search the list for Addictive Drums
4. Press OK

That should do it.
Nope, it does not show up. Now what?
Old 09-24-2010, 05:03 PM   #4
EvilDragon

You should point Reaper to your VST folder then. Properties->Plugins->VST, then Browse, find your VST folder. Click on "Clear cache and re-scan". Now?
Old 09-24-2010, 05:18 PM   #5
bkinder

Quote:
You should point Reaper to your VST folder then. Properties->Plugins->VST, then Browse, find your VST folder. Click on "Clear cache and re-scan". Now?
Let's back up for one moment.....where on my computer exactly should I be installing AD?
Old 09-24-2010, 05:49 PM   #6
EvilDragon

If you've already installed it, the installer by default searches for your VST folder. Now, it has been a while since I've installed AD on my PC, so I dunno if the installer gives you the option to install the VST plugin elsewhere. Maybe somebody else can chime in?

For the time being, you can try searching your hard drives for "Addictive Drums.dll", it should be in your Vstplugins folder (wherever that one might be).
Old 09-24-2010, 06:49 PM   #7
bkinder

Quote:
If you've already installed it, the installer by default searches for your VST folder. Now, it has been a while since I've installed AD on my PC, so I dunno if the installer gives you the option to install the VST plugin elsewhere. Maybe somebody else can chime in?

For the time being, you can try searching your hard drives for "Addictive Drums.dll", it should be in your Vstplugins folder (wherever that one might be).
I have the location for this file "Addictive Drums.dll". It's in my C drive. But I am still lost. Is AD any good BTW?
Old 09-24-2010, 06:57 PM   #8
EvilDragon

Yes, I love AD!

You should have one folder which will hold all your VSTs. I recommend that you don't use the system drive. If you have more partitions, put it on D:\VST\ or something

Then, when you install AD, point it to install the VST in that folder. Or just move the .dll there manually.

Then, in Reaper, do as above said (Properties->Plugins->VST, browse to the VST folder, apply...)

Should work.

Good night, I'm off to sleep (3 am here), I'll leave you in good hands of the rest of this forum! Cheers!
Old 09-24-2010, 08:38 PM   #9
Tedwood

If you do not choose your own directory AD will put the program in:

C:\Programs\XLN Audio

Then it puts the .dll in:

C:\Programs\VST plugins , or similar name. This is the folder to point REAPER at
Old 09-25-2010, 08:21 AM   #10
bkinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedwood View Post
If you do not choose your own directory AD will put the program in:

C:\Programs\XLN Audio

Then it puts the .dll in:

C:\Programs\VST plugins , or similar name. This is the folder to point REAPER at
Okay so I still do not know how to point REAPER to it at all. It doesn't seem to work with the steps that are on this thread. All I want is to play some drums to record with my music!! It can't be that difficult to set up can it?
Old 09-25-2010, 08:25 AM   #11
EvilDragon

1. Press Ctrl+P to enter Properties.
2. Go to section Plugins->VST
3. You will see "VST plugin paths".
4. Either press "Auto-detect", or browse to the folder where "Addictive Drums.dll" is. This will now be your VST folder, and you should install all your VSTs here
5. Press "Clear cache/re-scan".
6. Press "OK"

That should do it.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:04 AM   #12
bkinder

Quote:
1. Press Ctrl+P to enter Properties.
2. Go to section Plugins->VST
3. You will see "VST plugin paths".
4. Either press "Auto-detect", or browse to the folder where "Addictive Drums.dll" is. This will now be your VST folder, and you should install all your VSTs here
5. Press "Clear cache/re-scan".
6. Press "OK"

That should do it.
I also have ERS drums and I got that to load up in REAPER using this same method you just told me. The reason I cannot load the AD is because I cannot locate the Addictive Drums.dll file at all. How do I get it back?
Old 09-25-2010, 09:10 AM   #13
EvilDragon

I guess you should reinstall AD, then. Pay close attention to the locations when installer asks you where do you want to install AD and where to put the VST.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:15 AM   #14
bkinder

Quote:
I guess you should reinstall AD, then. Pay close attention to the locations when installer asks you where do you want to install AD and where to put the VST.
doing it now. I will let you know if it works! Thanks for your help....and BTW you live in a beautiful country! I checked it out online last night.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:29 AM   #15
bkinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkinder View Post
doing it now. I will let you know if it works! Thanks for your help....and BTW you live in a beautiful country! I checked it out online last night.
cannot locate the file Addictive Drums.dll. Man this sucks!
Old 09-25-2010, 09:33 AM   #16
EvilDragon

Wait, you reinstalled AD, and still can't find its DLL?

Perhaps it's my bad and I forgot the default name of the DLL (I did some DLL renamings in my past, I now repent my sins!)... See which files are in your VST folder?

Thanks for compliments - if you intend on visiting us, make sure you visit Zadar and Dubrovnik
Old 09-25-2010, 09:37 AM   #17
bkinder

Quote:
Wait, you reinstalled AD, and still can't find its DLL?

Perhaps it's my bad and I forgot the default name of the DLL (I did some DLL renamings in my past, I now repent my sins!)... See which files are in your VST folder?

Thanks for compliments - if you intend on visiting us, make sure you visit Zadar and Dubrovnik
My ERS Drums are there (that is a different drum plug-in). I found that .DLL file and was able to have REAPER grab it. I searched the computer for the Addictive Drums.dll and it is not there at all!
Old 09-25-2010, 09:39 AM   #18
EvilDragon

As I said, perhaps it has a different name. Uninstall AD completely from your system, then try to install it again, then see what happens. Pay close attention to installer paths.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:43 AM   #19
Charango

Quote:
cannot locate the file Addictive Drums.dll. Man this sucks!
Hi, hmm you seem to be having such a problem with this...didn't you say in an earlier post that your Addictive Drums.dll was in C:drive? Where exactly? Has it disappeared? Did you reinstall Addictive Drums as EvilDragon said?

There are only two possibilities:

Either there is no Addictive drums.dll on your system and it won't work

OR

There is Addictive drums.dll on your system and you have to know where it is to be able to tell Reaper where it is so it can load the programme.

So....which is it?

Good luck
Charango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:56 AM   #20
EvilDragon

Third possibility is that I have renamed my AD DLL file and I'm giving a wrong name to look out for. I forgot if that's what I did. So sorry if I'm misdirecting. But reinstall should help!
Old 09-25-2010, 10:01 AM   #21
Charango

Quote:
Third possibility is that I have renamed my AD DLL file and I'm giving a wrong name to look out for. I forgot if that's what I did. So sorry if I'm misdirecting. But reinstall should help!
No ED, you are not misdirecting, I didn't rename anything and I have Addictive Drums.dll sitting nicely in my C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins folder

I just think Bkinder has got his knickers in a twist
Old 09-25-2010, 10:03 AM   #22
bkinder

Quote:
Yep I took all of these steps and still nothing. I see the AD folder, and withing that folder are other folders and nothing has that file in it. Is there perhaps another really good drums application like AD out there that I can download a demo of? Because if there is, I would like to start fresh again with something else and be done with it. I'm tired........it's been all of last night and this morning trying to work through this. Computers can sometimes be a big pain you know?
Old 09-25-2010, 10:14 AM   #23
EvilDragon

Addictive Drums (or XLN Audio, whatever it's called) folder (where you can find .xpak files) is NOT where the .dll should be!

I think that AD installer finds your VST folder automatically and installs it there. It MUST be there.

Sadly I don't know if demo installer behaves any different.

Please stick with Addictive Drums, it's really a great drum sampler. I would also like to urge you to sign up on XLN Audio forums, you might get even better help there (especially with demo version).
Old 09-25-2010, 10:20 AM   #24
Charango

Quote:
Yep I took all of these steps and still nothing. I see the AD folder, and withing that folder are other folders and nothing has that file in it.
AD is as good as anything you'll find I think.Hang in there and I'm sure we can get this thing to work!
You said you see the AD folder- I think you mean in Program files the

C:\Program Files\XLN Audio\Addictive Drums folder right? In that folder there should be other folders called "Factory Maps", "Factory Presets" etc right?

The.dll file we are looking for WILL NOT BE THERE!!
It has to be in your VST folder somewhere. It is about 4.55MB
Please do a search on your system to find it and if you do, post back here to say where it is.
If it is DEFINITELY NOT on your system, then please just reinstall the Demo and when you get to the window where it shows your VST folder to install the Addictive Drums.dll, please MAKE A NOTE of it and post back here.
I'm sure we will get this to work. By the way what system are you using?
Windows XP/Vista/7?
Old 09-25-2010, 10:49 AM   #25
bkinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charango View Post
AD is as good as anything you'll find I think.Hang in there and I'm sure we can get this thing to work!
You said you see the AD folder- I think you mean in Program files the

C:\Program Files\XLN Audio\Addictive Drums folder right? In that folder there should be other folders called "Factory Maps", "Factory Presets" etc right?

The.dll file we are looking for WILL NOT BE THERE!!
It has to be in your VST folder somewhere. It is about 4.55MB
Please do a search on your system to find it and if you do, post back here to say where it is.
If it is DEFINITELY NOT on your system, then please just reinstall the Demo and when you get to the window where it shows your VST folder to install the Addictive Drums.dll, please MAKE A NOTE of it and post back here.
I'm sure we will get this to work. By the way what system are you using?
Windows XP/Vista/7?
I GOT IT!! Thank you...it's in the Steinberg folder...I had no idea!!!!! Sweet have a great day.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:04 AM   #26
EvilDragon

Cool. Feel free to MOVE it from that folder (Steinberg, eew!!) to the other folder where you have those other drums.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:47 AM   #27
Charango

Quote:
(Steinberg, eew!!)
Yeah I know...but as Shakespeare said..."What's in a name? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet..."

Glad you got it sorted out, good night to all!
Old 09-25-2010, 12:25 PM   #28
Tedwood

it's there alright, I re,installed mine last night. I've done loads of times

Like I said. the installer askes you once, Where would you like the data, if you don't change it, it creates the Directory: C:\Programs\XLN Audio for you.

If you didn't change it that's where all the data is, but that doesn't matter, it's the dll you want.

Second time the installer asks you where you want the Program. If you look it tells you where it's going to put it.

That place is C:\Programs\VST plugs

Edit:

Okay I see you got it working. So AD must chose the Steinberg\VST folder by default if you have one, but since I have no Steinberg stuff it didn't, it just created a VST folder.

Glad you did it, now enjoy. You get some very good sounds out AD. the free upgrades of the beat transformer and the velocity slope editor it makes it worth more than when I bought when i bought it, and that was a good deal. That might not be in the demo though

Last edited by Tedwood; 09-25-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Tedwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:34 PM   #29
bkinder

Quote:
it's there alright, I re,installed mine last night. I've done loads of times

Like I said. the installer askes you once, Where would you like the data, if you don't change it, it creates the Directory: C:\Programs\XLN Audio for you.

If you didn't change it that's where all the data is, but that doesn't matter, it's the dll you want.

Second time the installer asks you where you want the Program. If you look it tells you where it's going to put it.

That place is C:\Programs\VST plugs

Edit:

Okay I see you got it working. So AD must chose the Steinberg\VST folder by default if you have one, but since I have no Steinberg stuff it didn't, it just created a VST folder.

Glad you did it, now enjoy. You get some very good sounds out AD. the free upgrades of the beat transformer and the velocity slope editor it makes it worth more than when I bought when i bought it, and that was a good deal. That might not be in the demo though
How long is the AD demo good for? Does it have a time limitation? Just curious.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:44 PM   #30
EvilDragon

I think you have 30 days or so.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:54 PM   #31
bkinder

Quote:
I think you have 30 days or so.
Okay...step by step I'm getting there slowly. Thanks for the help everyone.

NEXT BIG QUESTION: I am now making some cool drum beats in REAPER but nothing will actually record. I can play it and hear it in real time, but the play back has no data. How do I record drums?
Old 09-25-2010, 03:02 PM   #32
EvilDragon

Several options:

1. Arm the track that has AD loaded on it. Press Record, and play your MIDI controller or e-drums
2. Insert a new empty MIDI item, double-click it, and edit in piano roll
3. Use AD's beat browser, and simply drag the beat you like to the track which has AD loaded on it. It will play back when you hit Play!
Old 09-25-2010, 03:38 PM   #33
bkinder

Quote:
Several options:

1. Arm the track that has AD loaded on it. Press Record, and play your MIDI controller or e-drums
2. Insert a new empty MIDI item, double-click it, and edit in piano roll
3. Use AD's beat browser, and simply drag the beat you like to the track which has AD loaded on it. It will play back when you hit Play!
But with MIDI....what do you do to convert it to actual audio when you want to get the music off of REAPER and be able to share it with others?
Old 09-25-2010, 03:41 PM   #34
EvilDragon

Ctrl+Alt+R gives you Render dialog.

Might I suggest you a nice weekend reading of the User Guide? It has lots of tips and tricks and it will get you up and running really fast, I promise!
Old 09-25-2010, 04:01 PM   #35
bkinder

Quote:
Ctrl+Alt+R gives you Render dialog.

Might I suggest you a nice weekend reading of the User Guide? It has lots of tips and tricks and it will get you up and running really fast, I promise!
sorry!
Old 09-25-2010, 04:08 PM   #36
EvilDragon

Don't need to apologize! We're here to help you up and running. Your question regarding AD was answered and you have it working now. I think you can only benefit from a nice manual read. And it's well written and not boring So enjoy it!
Old 09-25-2010, 04:14 PM   #37
Tedwood

Quote:
How long is the AD demo good for? Does it have a time limitation? Just curious.
It goes forever, but it only has a few kit pieces (one snare, one kick and acouple of other bits, that's severly limited compared to the full version
Old 09-25-2010, 04:31 PM   #38
bkinder

Quote:
It goes forever, but it only has a few kit pieces (one snare, one kick and acouple of other bits, that's severly limited compared to the full version
the manual cause my internet to crash just after a few seconds. Really I could just figure out how to play the drums in AD and at the same time have them recorded in REAPER. Anybody?
Old 09-25-2010, 04:36 PM   #39
bkinder

Quote:
the manual cause my internet to crash just after a few seconds. Really I could just figure out how to play the drums in AD and at the same time have them recorded in REAPER. Anybody?
What is the secret to recording drums in REAPER and actually having real audio play back when you are done?
Old 09-25-2010, 04:49 PM   #40
EvilDragon

Quote:
the manual cause my internet to crash just after a few seconds.
Sorry, I gave you a direct link to PDF. Don't click on it, but instead right-click and "Save as..."