Old 04-03-2018, 09:10 AM   #1
zappazapper
Human being with feelings

Default ReaEQ gain limit

Why do the gain sliders only go to 12 dB when you can put it up to 36 dB in the graph? When you're using parameter manipulation, you're limited to a 12 dB boost because you can only apply it to the slider. Can we make the slider go up to 36 dB also? Is there a good reason for limiting it to 12 dB or was that an arbitrary choice?
zappazapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 12:03 AM   #2
timboid

I believe gain sliders in ReaEQ follow the preference for the faders.
It would be nice to have an option to set them separately.
The other thing which annoys me is that because of this relation on the cut the range of the fader is different than on the boost. Due to this it is impossible to set up emphasis/deemphasis plugin chain with ReaEQ.
And I hardly ever used true notch, so the bottom range of ReaEQ gain slider is waster for me anyway.
timboid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 12:45 PM   #3
zappazapper

I feel like it's the same issue as with input and output ranges as opposed to discreet enabling... there were some arbitrary choices made when designing this program that seem to limit functionality for no reason that i can see or has ever been offered on this forum... why 12 dB? if the plugin is capable of going to 36 dB, what benefit could a 12 dB limit on the slider offer?
Old 04-05-2018, 03:40 PM   #4
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappazapper View Post
...why 12 dB? if the plugin is capable of going to 36 dB, what benefit could a 12 dB limit on the slider offer?
As mentioned above, it's not a 12db limit. It's whatever limit you have set for the volume faders in preferences. In fact, I think there are parameters in a few of the ReaPlugs that are kind of inherited from that setting. So, like, you can change that if you want.

It IS annoying that it requires changing a lot of other things. I have mine set to +9db because if I need more gain than that at the track volume fader, I'd rather just add gain somewhere before that point. It makes sense for me for the MCP, but it sometimes sucks for ReaEQ. Most of the time, it works as reminder that it's usually better to cut what you don't want than to try to boost what you do. That whole "subtractive EQ as best practice thing", but sometimes the only thing for it is to really crank up a band. Especially since the output Gain slider is ALSO limited.

While we're at it, it really sucks that we can't automate or modulate that output Gain slider in ReaEQ.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 03:48 PM   #5
zappazapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
As mentioned above, it's not a 12db limit. It's whatever limit you have set for the volume faders in preferences. In fact, I think there are parameters in a few of the ReaPlugs that are kind of inherited from that setting. So, like, you can change that if you want.

It IS annoying that it requires changing a lot of other things. I have mine set to +9db because if I need more gain than that at the track volume fader, I'd rather just add gain somewhere before that point. It makes sense for me for the MCP, but it sometimes sucks for ReaEQ. Most of the time, it works as reminder that it's usually better to cut what you don't want than to try to boost what you do. That whole "subtractive EQ as best practice thing", but sometimes the only thing for it is to really crank up a band. Especially since the output Gain slider is ALSO limited.

While we're at it, it really sucks that we can't automate or modulate that output Gain slider in ReaEQ.
Oh, I see... I guess I didn't catch that when I read it the first time... I'll check that out but again, I can't imagine a good reason why the limits of the track faders and the limits of the EQ bands would share the same setting...

As far as the whole "less is more" concept, I would tend to agree, except in this case I'm actually using ReaEQ with parameter manipulation to increase (or decrease in some cases) the levels of the kick, snare and toms in the overheads while minimizing the effect it has on the cymbals themselves... It works quite well but when you're limited to 12 dB you sometimes want more...