Old 03-01-2020, 01:05 PM   #1
Sofia
Human being with feelings

Default CSI and XTouch

Hello, I'm setting up the X-Touch (the biggest one) with CSI.
When I'll be done, I'll share the code on the forum.

I created new istances of MCU.mst and MCU.zon, I called them XTouch and I modified the code, then I set up CSI from Control/OSC/web menu specifying the XTouch files i created.

My problem is that none of the changes that I made in code take effect My surface behave like it was already depending on MCU.mst and MCU.zon

Why?

I put:
CSI folder in
C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\CSI
reaper_csurf_integrator64.dll in
C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\Plugins
Sofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 02:07 PM   #2
Yorky

Hi Sofia,

My response is offered purely as a layman, I have no real working knowledge of the capability save for constantly absorbing the main thread and then trying out small test goes - baby steps if you will. However, the later versions of the code require the .dll to be located in a different folder to the one you have stated:

I would delete this entry then load the latest and greatest into the UserPlugins directory.

From the Wiki ---------------------
Windows: Put the reaper_csurf_integrator.dll (either 32 or 64 bit according to your Reaper installation) in the folder named UserPlugins in the Reaper resource path. Mac: put the .dylib file in the same UserPlugins folder.
Start Reaper (hopefully it starts without any issues. If not you might have to install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2019 runtime 32bit | 64bit)
------------------------------------

The full WIP Wiki is found at: https://github.com/malcolmgroves/reaper_csi/wiki This is regularly being updated as there's a push to firm up on docs.

This got me going after a few false starts at least. Hope it works for you?
Yorky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 09:30 PM   #3
Sofia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorky View Post
Hi Sofia,

My response is offered purely as a layman, I have no real working knowledge of the capability save for constantly absorbing the main thread and then trying out small test goes - baby steps if you will. However, the later versions of the code require the .dll to be located in a different folder to the one you have stated:

I would delete this entry then load the latest and greatest into the UserPlugins directory.

From the Wiki ---------------------
Windows: Put the reaper_csurf_integrator.dll (either 32 or 64 bit according to your Reaper installation) in the folder named UserPlugins in the Reaper resource path. Mac: put the .dylib file in the same UserPlugins folder.
Start Reaper (hopefully it starts without any issues. If not you might have to install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2019 runtime 32bit | 64bit)
------------------------------------

The full WIP Wiki is found at: https://github.com/malcolmgroves/reaper_csi/wiki This is regularly being updated as there's a push to firm up on docs.

This got me going after a few false starts at least. Hope it works for you?
Thank you very much for the advice. The problem is that my surface is still not working with CSI. So.. does CSI work with MCU protocol? XTouch doesn't work with MIDI or OSC, but on MCU. Is it possible that i cannot use my surface with CSI?
Old 03-01-2020, 10:09 PM   #4
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofia View Post
Thank you very much for the advice. The problem is that my surface is still not working with CSI. So.. does CSI work with MCU protocol? XTouch doesn't work with MIDI or OSC, but on MCU. Is it possible that i cannot use my surface with CSI?
CSI definitely works with MCU (I'd venture to guess the vast majority of people using it with surfaces with faders are using MCU with CSI), and I have an X-Touch One working with CSI, so these things definitely work together. The X-Touch One also uses MCU, and even has 9 faders depending on the MCU mode, which I had working perfectly. Definitely, definitely works.

A couple of things:

1. Delete the plugin .dll from: C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\Plugins

2. The install instructions changed recently, the plugin now gets installed to: C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\userplug ins

3. ...While you're doing that, make sure you're using the most recent version of CSI

4. Make sure you've got the VC 2019 runtime installed. You can find a link on the Wiki: https://github.com/malcolmgroves/rea...i/Installation

Ok...after that

5. Make sure the X-Touch's MIDI Ports in Reaper's Prefereces\MIDI Devices are entirely disabled. If the ports are active in Reaper's Preferences, CSI can't access them. It's easy to overlook this and can be confusing at first.

6. You said you copied and renamed the MCU.mst and MCU.zon files...you technically shouldn't need to do this. You can almost certainly just use the MCU.mst and MCU.zon files as-is. Start with them, and if you need to make any adjustments later, that's always an option. Renaming just opens up the possibility of errors. Tip: CSI also doesn't like spaces in file names, so for example, in my case: "X-Touch One.zon" would not work but "X-Touch_One.zon" would.

7. Let's just double check the folder structure too. If you're going to use a separate X-Touch.zon file, make sure it's in its own CSI\Zones\ subfolder. Don't keep it in the MCU folder with the MCU.zon. Make sure there's not a CSI folder, within your CSI folder. For instance, you should not have a folder like this: C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\CSI\CSI\. That kind of stuff could throw it off.

Once you do that stuff, post back if you're still having problems. If it's not working afterwards, I'd want to see screen prints of your CSI settings, maybe your folder structure, .zon files, etc.

Honestly, the main CSI thread is the best place for this stuff if you want to get a quick reply from knowledgeable users. I don't really pay attention to other threads in this subforum, but I usually check the CSI thread a few times a day. Don't be scared to post with questions or setup help.

Last edited by Funkybot; 03-01-2020 at 10:15 PM.
Funkybot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 06:53 AM   #5
Sofia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
CSI definitely works with MCU (I'd venture to guess the vast majority of people using it with surfaces with faders are using MCU with CSI), and I have an X-Touch One working with CSI, so these things definitely work together. The X-Touch One also uses MCU, and even has 9 faders depending on the MCU mode, which I had working perfectly. Definitely, definitely works.

A couple of things:

1. Delete the plugin .dll from: C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\Plugins

2. The install instructions changed recently, the plugin now gets installed to: C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\userplug ins

3. ...While you're doing that, make sure you're using the most recent version of CSI

4. Make sure you've got the VC 2019 runtime installed. You can find a link on the Wiki: https://github.com/malcolmgroves/rea...i/Installation

Ok...after that

5. Make sure the X-Touch's MIDI Ports in Reaper's Prefereces\MIDI Devices are entirely disabled. If the ports are active in Reaper's Preferences, CSI can't access them. It's easy to overlook this and can be confusing at first.

6. You said you copied and renamed the MCU.mst and MCU.zon files...you technically shouldn't need to do this. You can almost certainly just use the MCU.mst and MCU.zon files as-is. Start with them, and if you need to make any adjustments later, that's always an option. Renaming just opens up the possibility of errors. Tip: CSI also doesn't like spaces in file names, so for example, in my case: "X-Touch One.zon" would not work but "X-Touch_One.zon" would.

7. Let's just double check the folder structure too. If you're going to use a separate X-Touch.zon file, make sure it's in its own CSI\Zones\ subfolder. Don't keep it in the MCU folder with the MCU.zon. Make sure there's not a CSI folder, within your CSI folder. For instance, you should not have a folder like this: C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\CSI\CSI\. That kind of stuff could throw it off.

Once you do that stuff, post back if you're still having problems. If it's not working afterwards, I'd want to see screen prints of your CSI settings, maybe your folder structure, .zon files, etc.

Honestly, the main CSI thread is the best place for this stuff if you want to get a quick reply from knowledgeable users. I don't really pay attention to other threads in this subforum, but I usually check the CSI thread a few times a day. Don't be scared to post with questions or setup help.
It was all set up as you mentioned. However, felt in desperation i uninstalled CSI and Reaper and reinstalled all of them and now it works!
Thank you to be so gentle.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:00 AM   #6
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofia View Post
It was all set up as you mentioned. However, felt in desperation i uninstalled CSI and Reaper and reinstalled all of them and now it works!
Thank you to be so gentle.
Glad you're up and running! Head over to the main CSI thread if you have any setup related questions.
Funkybot is online now   Reply With Quote