Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 03-26-2007, 02:23 PM   #1
markheath
Human being with feelings

Default First full song in REAPER - Mix opinions wanted

I've nearly finished my first full song recorded in REAPER and have made a provisional final mixdown and would appreciate any criticism or suggestions on the mix. I know have still got a lot to learn about mixing.

Listen to it here

The musical genre is Contemporary Christian (you see it was like this - I started off with an anarchist death metal track, but then I put this "Jesusonic Reavival" plugin on the master bus, and suddenly my track got religion ). The lyrics are borrowed mostly from a Celtic prayer.

The instruments are all played / sequenced by me. Singing is (unfortunately) me too, with my wife making her debut appearance on my recordings as a backing singer.

Recording notes:
* Drums & percussion were mainly played in on a keyboard into EZdrummer with some sequenced fills.
* Vocals used a Senheisser E845 dynamic mic
* The dreadful acoustic guitar sound is the direct out from my Yamaha electro-acoustic (honest it sounds even worse miked)
* Electric guitar fx is the Line6 gearbox
* Bass is direct with a bit of compression
* Piano sounds are using my own sampling of my Yamaha P200 stage piano. I settled for a fairly mediocre piano take because I was struggling to work out how REAPER's MIDI recording worked. (Track lanes have helped immensely)
* Organ is organized trio VSTi
* FX is mainly the Kjaerhus GUP-1 compressor, a couple of Sonitus Reverbs and a Sonitus multi-band on the main mix.

Mark
markheath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:35 PM   #2
Stringer
Human being with feelings

I am not real familiar with this genre, but I like the song ok. The acoustic guitar does sound piezo with a vengance. I think the mix is ok, but the vocals are not always right on pitch. Your wife's vocals come in a bit abruptly on occasion--maybe a volume envelope to smooth things a bit? Overall I like it. The second listen was better than the first, which is unusual.

John
Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote