Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2019, 10:52 AM   #1
LTRAX
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 5
Default Reaper lagging with plugins; what to do about it?

Hi everybody,

I'm very new to Reaper and I really hope some of you can help me out with this issue. I recorded a song and I now have a significant amount of tracks in Reaper.
However, I'm mixing the song and I've now got plugins loaded on two tracks (one each) and Reaper starts lagging. The lag is so bad I can't continue mixing like this.

The fact that I've got a pretty simple laptop doesn't help I guess.

So what can I do about it? Some adjustments regarding buffer or latency maybe?

Thanks so much in advance,

Larry
LTRAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:01 PM   #2
ivansc
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Cambridge UK and Near Questembert, France
Posts: 18,941
Default

Assuming that you are using a proper audio/midi interface rather than your laptop`s internal soundcard,
make sure you are running the interface`s ASIO driver and set the ASIO buffer up around 1024 instead of the more ususal 256-512.

Hope that helps.

It wont if you are trying to use the internal soundcard, sadly. although you could try downloading & installing asio4all , which is a kludge that makes your computer think your internal card can do proper audio MIDI multitrack recording. It sorta works for some people, but frankly IF reapers audio system selection window offers you WASAPI I would try that first.
__________________
Brexit Schmexit. Lets have a violent revolution instead. Bagsy the first go with a nuke! (Here, Moggy Moggy...)

Last edited by ivansc; 08-22-2019 at 09:59 AM.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 10:17 AM   #3
LTRAX
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Assuming that you are using a proper audio/midi interface rather than your laptop`s internal soundcard,
make sure you are running the interface`s ASIO driver and set the ASIO buffer up around 1024 instead of the more ususal 256-512.

Hope that helps.

It wont if you are trying to use the internal soundcard, sadly. although you could try downloading & installing asio4all , which is a kludge that makes your computer think your internal card can do proper audio MIDI multitrack recording. It sorta works for some people, but frankly IF reapers audio system selection window offers you WASAPI I would try that first.
Thanks for your response!

So it seems that I was indeed using the internal soundcard, I set up asio4all and this did improve everything a bit but unfortunately Reaper is still lagging at times.

Is there maybe a way that I can wait for a few tracks to buffer so I can then listen to them without any lag?; like 'loading' them?
LTRAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 10:50 AM   #4
Xenakios
Human being with feelings
 
Xenakios's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oulu, Finland
Posts: 7,913
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTRAX View Post
Is there maybe a way that I can wait for a few tracks to buffer so I can then listen to them without any lag?; like 'loading' them?
What do you actually mean by "lagging"? What is lagging and how?
__________________
For info on SWS Reaper extension plugin (including Xenakios' previous extension/actions) :
http://www.sws-extension.org/
https://github.com/Jeff0S/sws
--
Xenakios blog (about HourGlass, Paul(X)Stretch and λ) :
http://xenakios.wordpress.com/
Xenakios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 11:10 AM   #5
LTRAX
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
What do you actually mean by "lagging"? What is lagging and how?
Basically just hearing clicks and pops, as if it continuously stops playing every few milliseconds...
LTRAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 11:17 AM   #6
Xenakios
Human being with feelings
 
Xenakios's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oulu, Finland
Posts: 7,913
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTRAX View Post
Basically just hearing clicks and pops, as if it continuously stops playing every few milliseconds...
OK, that's a lot clearer explanation and sounds like your computer just can't keep up with the project playback. Have you turned off record and input monitoring on all the tracks? If those are on, Reaper won't be able to use the anticipative FX processing, which could help with the playback. What specs does your computer actually have : CPU (hopefully that's at least a 2 core one), RAM, hard drive?
__________________
For info on SWS Reaper extension plugin (including Xenakios' previous extension/actions) :
http://www.sws-extension.org/
https://github.com/Jeff0S/sws
--
Xenakios blog (about HourGlass, Paul(X)Stretch and λ) :
http://xenakios.wordpress.com/
Xenakios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:06 AM   #7
Dr. Who
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTRAX View Post
Hi everybody,

I'm very new to Reaper and I really hope some of you can help me out with this issue. I recorded a song and I now have a significant amount of tracks in Reaper.
However, I'm mixing the song and I've now got plugins loaded on two tracks (one each) and Reaper starts lagging. The lag is so bad I can't continue mixing like this.

The fact that I've got a pretty simple laptop doesn't help I guess.

So what can I do about it? Some adjustments regarding buffer or latency maybe?

Thanks so much in advance,

Larry
We really need details of your setup to be able to help i.e. spec of laptop, what audio interface is being used or internal soundcard etc.
Dr. Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:26 AM   #8
wolfdogg
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 87
Default

What they said... and go to 'View - > Performance Meter' to see how CPU/RAM are being used in Reaper.
wolfdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.