Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 12-19-2019, 03:54 AM   #1
udaemon
Human being with feelings

Default does zita-ajbridge work on your system?

Hello,

I would like to ask if somebody here uses zita-ajbridge to use 2 or more soundcards with jack and, thus, have more inputs and outputs.

I really would like to use it but, unfortunately, it doesn’t work on both of my arch linux-driven laptops. in short: the bridge is established and appears in qjackctl’s graph window, also as inputs in reaper, but I don’t get any signal from the soundcard (usb) that I’m trying to additionally connect through zita-a2j.

is there somebody around using arch linux, too, who could try if it works?

just establish jack server as you usually do, and then connect a 2nd card (if you have), i. e. the internal sound module, by the following (default) command:

Code:
zita-a2j -d hw:(NUMBER/NAME of the 2nd card, example for Zoom H4n: "H4") -r 48000 -p 256 -n 2
(there’s also a GUI provided in AUR, called zita-ajbridge-gui, which makes it even easier to establish the bridge.)

then, a "device" called "zita-a2j" should appear in qjackctl’s graph window. you can start reaper/your daw and, if necessary, draw the connections in qjackctl.

do you get any signal from the 2nd card?

thanks for trying and, of course, also for further hints and experiences!
christoph
udaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 06:53 AM   #2
Jack Winter

Maybe you need to change volume or unmute channels on the extra soundcard?

Note that both JACK1 and JACK2 can do this without using any extra software. For JACK2 it's called audioadapter, but there is little documentation for it.

You'd use jack_load to load the audioadapter internal client, and it can be configured using a config file too.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 07:07 AM   #3
udaemon

thanks, Jack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
I started alsamixer and it tells me that there’s no controls for the soundcards I want to record with.

and if I access these settings via the gnome settings manager everything can be adjusted and works (but that’s controlled by the pulse server, I guess).

how can I unmute/adjust it if not through alsamixer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post

Note that both JACK1 and JACK2 can do this without using any extra software. For JACK2 it's called audioadapter, but there is little documentation for it.

You'd use jack_load to load the audioadapter internal client, and it can be configured using a config file too.
yes, I have also read about the audioadapter on the JACK website but since it doesn’t give any further hint I didn’t follow the trace. now, having found your answer here, I took up the thread.
unfortunately, it doesn’t work, either, but maybe it’s just my fault with the syntax or so.

I was playing around with differend arguments. the most likely version which I thought could be right is:
Code:
jack_load audioadapter -i "-d hw:1 -i 2 -o 2"
but it, as with all my other trials, leads to the following error message, which I don’t understand:
Code:
could not load audioadapter, intclient = 0 status = 0x 1
I don’t understand the concept of clients in jack, yet. will try to find out about it.

maybe this is also where the ominous "session" window in qjackctl comes in? but I haven’t understood how and when to use this, either.

in the meantime Fons Adriaensen, the developer of the zita-ajbridge replied to my message in the linux-audio-users mailing list, so maybe we find a solution.

thank you for your help, Jack!

christoph
Old 12-21-2019, 03:56 AM   #4
udaemon

EDIT and SOLUTION:

I would like to share the hints of Fons Adriaensen towards my problem described above.

to have zita-ajbridge work properly,

* make shure that your user has realtime privileges, i. e. belongs to the realtime or audio group, and that the maximum priority for audio is set accordingly in /etc/security/limits.conf

* additionally, and here I quote Fons:

Quote:
it could be that the maximum priority is set too low.
On which, he explains:
Quote:
Zita-ajbridge will run the thread talking to the ALSA device with a priority that is 10 higher than Jack's callback threads. So if your jack is configured for e.g. 80, and the system limit is 85, zita-ajbridge will fail.
so, you have to set the priority accordingly, for instance in qjackctl’s advance tab within the settings.

* finally, tell jack daemon to run in realtime mode; in qjackctl’s settings you find a checkbox for that.

while I had set the first two aspects correctly, I didn’t run jackd in realtime mode for certain reasons.

but now, it works.