Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 11-19-2019, 01:09 PM   #1
nait
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI: Panning individual notes?

First off, is this even a good idea to do, with something that would sound good with a large stereo width... say a plucky sound playing every 16th, bouncing around the stereo field? I mean would it sound too annoying to have individual notes bouncing around. I seem to hear that in electronic music, from time to time, so I wouldn't think it would be bad, but figured I'd ask, as I'm fairly amateur at all of this. And when I'm talking about notes bouncing around, I mean that the full duration of the note is played in the stereo space it started in vs. doing something like using an LFO to slowly pan things around and could make a long note start on one side of the stereo field and be on the other (or back again, or back several times) in the span of the note duration. The latter is an effect I might use on occasion, but it's a completely different sounding effect, and I'd like to be able to do the former as well.

So if this isn't a bad idea... how can I automate this in Reaper easily, if at all? Would I have to assign a panning position (i.e. CC10) to each note individually in the MIDI editor or is there a way I can automate this?

I know some VSTis like Serum allow you to do this right in their GUI, but I'm wondering if there is a good way to automate this without having to rely on VSTi functionality (via plugins would be fine).

From Googling, I know I can duplicate a track, hard pan both in opposite directions, and then delete half the notes from each, but I'm hoping for a solution that doesn't involve too much added CPU overhead. And well, I'm convinced that there are a few Reaper geniuses roaming this forum, so...
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:04 PM   #2
Philbo King

So, Midi has only one pan control per midi channel. Usually an instrument uses only one midi channel, so all the notes on that channel can have only one pan setting at a time.

A few options:
1) Create a Midi control envelope that changes to a new pan setting for each note, all on the same midi channel the instrument uses.

2) Set the 16 midi channels to various 'static' pan settings, for example Ch. 1 hard left, gradually changing to Ch. 16 at hard right. Pick out various notes and change their channel to the one with the pan setting you want. Depending on your synth, you might not be able to use channel 10 for this, since it is reserved for drum sounds in General Midi.

3) Wait till the midi has been changed to audio and use an auto-panner plugin such as JS Ping Pong Pan (included with Reaper).
Old 11-19-2019, 07:46 PM   #3
nait

Yeah point 3) seems to be the solution that I'm aware of, but creates a different effect than I'm looking for (i.e. the panning is based on a set frequency rather on the start of a note and lasting for the duration of the note).

I'll take a look at your other two solutions. Point 1 sounds easy, albeit tedious, but in general, I'll probably be working with shorter loops to do this for, so I can create automation items for this. Thanks for the suggestions.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote