Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 11-02-2019, 01:56 PM   #1
Tobbe
Human being with feelings

Default My computer reboots now and then

Hi,

Anyone have this issue that your computer restarts now and then without doing stuff or mixing some. I have test tons of Linux distro's and on every single one of them reboots my computer anytime, can sometimes be ok a day or two, and then 3, 4 times the same day. Today I installed default Windows 10 and so far everything is ok. I will test with Windows a few days and see IF there is same rebooting thing. I have run all diagnostics and not a single error.

Lenovo IdeaCentre 520 ALL-IN-ON (16GB) ram and 250GB SSD
Old 11-02-2019, 03:30 PM   #2
Glennbo

I've been running Xubuntu on my DAW for a little more than a year now, starting it up every morning around 8:00am and leaving it running till after midnight every evening. I've not seen any sporadic behavior or random reboots. I jump in and out of REAPER, Firefox, Thunderbird, GIMP, Stellarium, Google Earth, and a bunch of other programs. Every bit as stable for me than any version of Windows.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 03:43 PM   #3
Tobbe

The distro I haven't tried is Ubuntu. I give Windows a chance for couple of days, and see how it turns out.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:03 PM   #4
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbe View Post
The distro I haven't tried is Ubuntu. I give Windows a chance for couple of days, and see how it turns out.
Forgot to mention that I also have installed Xubuntu on four other computers in my house that were previously running Windows 7.

Two of them are dedicated servers that run 24/7, one is an Asus laptop, the the last one is my wife's desktop machine that is on every day for hours on end doing Facebook, desktop publishing, games, and other tasks.

You might search for your exact Lenovo machine and Linux to see if there are any known issue with that specific hardware. For me Xubuntu 18.04 is stable as a rock on five different machines.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 05:59 PM   #5
JamesPeters

Did you change the default settings for updates? I've noticed in a number of distros that the preference involves automatic download and install things that are considered security updates. Also I noticed sometimes the software sources include things like backports. I change those settings; it's the first thing I do after the install of the distro. I don't mind getting notifications of updates but I don't like anything installing automatically.

Anyway maybe that has something to do with it. Also check your power manager settings. I guess that's probably the second thing I change after installing the distro.

I've been running various distros for about a year and I don't think my computers have restarted on their own.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 11-02-2019 at 06:05 PM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 12:18 AM   #6
Tobbe

Thanks guys. I investigate more if I can find anything weird about my computer and Linux. I have two old laptops, one Dell Latitude E610 with 8GB Ram, and one HP Elitebook also with 8GB ram. Very old, say 6 years maybe. Never had any problem with those two.