Old 10-24-2016, 10:36 AM   #1
wolfdogg
Human being with feelings

Default Adding Tracks to New Project

Hi all.. So still in the first couple weeks of Reaper and trying to figure out a lot of the basics. I went out this weekend and hooked up my interface and grabbed a 3 hour session of 16 tracks. Lots of songs in there. I can split all tracks before and after each song with the 'S' key. Now.. is there an easy way to grab those items and put them in a new Reaper Project so I can work with that song only?
Thanks!
wolfdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:48 AM   #2
ashcat_lt

First of all I think Regions make this kind of thing quite a bit easier a lot of the time because once you define the region, you can drag it around and all the items just split as necessary and go with. Not that it's necessarily what you need right now. Just putting that bug in your ear for future.

To your actual question, you basically need to delete all the unwanted material and then Save As. Or vice versa if you're paranoid. There are a couple ways to do it. I think there is an action to crop to a selection, but I'd probably Ctl-A to select all items, then Ctl-Click or Ctl-Right-Drag to deselect what I wanted to keep.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:52 AM   #3
wolfdogg

Appreciate the tip on Regions. Completely unfamiliar to me so I'll take a look today.

I found I can simply create a new project tab, go the the 3 hour session, select my new items, copy... head to the new project and paste. How easy is that?! Very cool.

What I'm unsure about now.. the new project folder doesn't bring any new wave files over so all the editing will be happening on the original files? Not a big deal, I suppose.. but seems like it might make the CPU work harder than it needs to.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:02 AM   #4
ashcat_lt

I guess I don't donproject tabs or copying between projects all that often. I've had bad experiences in the past. Might have been my ignorance. Might have been a bug that has been fixed. Don't even remember exactly what happened, but I avoid it at all costs. PTSD, I suppose.

Anyway, Reaper doesn't really do direct editing anyway. If you render or glue or something that makes a new file it'll probably put that in the new directory. Reaper also doesn't really care where it's looking for a given file. If it's on the same drive, it's essentially the same place, and just because it's not in the same directory as the project doesn't slow it down at all.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:36 AM   #5
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdogg View Post
I did figure out how to bring them over though. There's a little option to copy all media tracks over when you save the new project. Worked like a champ!
Unless you rendered or glued the items before you copied out of the original project, I'm pretty sure you're copying the whole 3 hour file for each track each time you do that. :/
Old 10-24-2016, 11:44 AM   #6
wolfdogg

I didn't figure the location would slow it down any.. just wasn't sure about the size. 16, 3-hour tracks is a lot to process.

I did figure out how to bring them over though. There's a little option to copy all media tracks over when you save the new project. Worked like a champ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Unless you rendered or glued the items before you copied out of the original project, I'm pretty sure you're copying the whole 3 hour file for each track each time you do that. :/
Yep.. you are correct. Noticed that right after. I then did a 'Item' -> 'Render Items as new Take' and that shortened them up to give me just what I wanted.

Alright.. now I'm off to learn about how Regions issue. Thanks again for the assistance ashcat!
Old 10-24-2016, 11:51 AM   #7
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Yep.. you are correct. Noticed that right after. I then did a 'Item' -> 'Render Items as new Take' and that shortened them up to give me just what I wanted.
Does that actually work? Unless you then crop to active take, you'd still have the reference to the old one...

I'd probably use Glue since it creates the new file and replaces the old item in the timeline. You have to do this in "columns", though, cause if you do it in "rows", it undoes your splits.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:29 PM   #8
wolfdogg

Seemed to have worked fine.. but, I tested by closing and reopening and it said it couldn't find all the files (I manually deleted the large files from the directory before reopening), so it was still trying to reference them. It gave me the option to ignore though, which I did, and then I saved, closed and opened again and it worked fine with the new shorter waves. Probably not the best way though. I'll check out glue and test some more this evening.. and then let you know. Thanks!
Old 10-24-2016, 07:16 PM   #9
wolfdogg

So I still haven't messed with 'Glue' at all yet.. and plan to look into that more, but it seems an even easier way than I was doing it is...

Click on the timeline and then drag... selecting all that you want to copy.
Right-click that selection and choose 'Crop project to selection' (I have to do this below the wav files or I get a different context menu). It trims both the left and right sides and you are left with just your selection.

Now, use 'Save Project As' and be sure to click the middle row of options at the bottom: 'Copy all media into project directory using', 'Convert Media' (I went with the default wav of course), 'Trim media, tail size 500ms'.

I ended up with all new wav/repeak files, shortened and completely stand-alone. This seems to work well.

Leads me to another question.. if you use the 'Convert media' option and you convert a wav to a smaller wav, does it affect the quality of that original wav file at all.. or is it just as "clean" as the original? For my purposes (not exactly trying to create an album here), it will work fine regardless as there's no discernible difference. I was just curious.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:08 PM   #10
ashcat_lt

I did mention the Crop thing. The Convert thing never occurred to me, but it's a cool tip!

As long as you're "converting" to the same or higher resolution and the exact same sample rate, I wouldn't expect it to change or degrade the actual data.

Honestly, in this particular situation, I don't see why any of this is necessary. You could as easily reference the original 3 hour files in the individual projects. Unless maybe you want to share some (but not all) of the smaller projects with others or maybe a few other scenarios, but not if you just want smaller chunks to edit and mix.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:56 PM   #11
G-Sun

Quote:
Hi all.. So still in the first couple weeks of Reaper and trying to figure out a lot of the basics. I went out this weekend and hooked up my interface and grabbed a 3 hour session of 16 tracks. Lots of songs in there. I can split all tracks before and after each song with the 'S' key. Now.. is there an easy way to grab those items and put them in a new Reaper Project so I can work with that song only?
Thanks!
Take a look at Kennys videos:
http://www.reaper.fm/videos.php
Will answer a lot of questions for you,
and put you on the right track for a lot of stuff you haven't thought of yet.