Old 04-30-2019, 02:53 AM   #1
ayskura
Human being with feelings

Default Raspberry Pi!

I gave it a shot and installed Reaper on a Raspberry Pi. It worked flawlessly and such an easy installing procedure! I was surprised how powerful it is even on this tiny computer. I imported a ogg vorbis 20 tracks to Reaper which I made on OSX and wired flawlessly. Fast and responsive and all plugsins loaded. When I tried to load something bigger with lot of plugins ( I mean lot, more than I would need anyway) the app stalled but then restarting asked if I wanted to open with disabled plugins and still worked amazingly good.
On performance test I was able to run 24 tracks with a gate, a compressor and 2 was each and 4 auxiliaries with reverbs and delays as well as effects of the music bus.

I will try to run it on a Raspberry Pi Zero as this is really incredible.
ayskura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 03:07 AM   #2
cyrano

Good to hear!

I spose it was a Rpi 3?
Old 04-30-2019, 10:30 AM   #3
clepsydrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayskura View Post
I will try to run it on a Raspberry Pi Zero as this is really incredible.
Looking forward to these test results!
clepsydrae is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 01:56 PM   #4
WyattRice

Hi.
I'm interested in this too.
Any of you guys know what kind of sound cards work with the raspberry pi for recording?

Thanks,
Wyatt
Old 04-30-2019, 02:33 PM   #5
cyrano

In general, all interfaces that work with Linux. Of course, you're limited by USB.

There are even a few interfaces built especially for the Pi, in the form of a HAT (plug-on board). Up to 8 channels, I believe. Examples:

https://www.kiwi-electronics.nl/rasp...i-audio-addons

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...yping-for-rasp

http://www.audioinjector.net/
Old 04-30-2019, 02:38 PM   #6
Glennbo

There is also this audio device that is supposed to be specifically made for Raspberry Pi and low latency. Whether it's any better than just buying a cheep Presonus or Behringer USB interface, I have no idea. They call it PiSound at: https://blokas.io/pisound/
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:49 AM   #7
mike@overtonedsp

I did a port of my Linux / Mac / Windows plug-ins to RPi / ARM Linux about a year ago, but we recently discontinued those builds due to lack of downloads / sales (read - didn't even cover the cost of the board) - which I always felt was disappointing. It would be interesting to know if there's renewed interest in the RPi as an audio platform.
(Its amazing that you can run a DAW on such a tiny computer, but its something of an odd platform for audio given that once the cost of the extra hardware required - and, yes, the plug-ins / software etc... - is factored in you could probably get a second hand dell desktop etc for about the same price and have massively superior performance - would be interesting to know some of the use cases)

For development I used both the pisound mentioned previously and the HifiBerry DAC+ together with Ubuntu MATE 1604 for RPi all with very good results. USB interfaces can be of variable quality

Last edited by mike@overtonedsp; 05-01-2019 at 10:54 AM.
mike@overtonedsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:47 AM   #8
cyrano

Patience is the key.

If 10% of Reaper users are running Linux, and 10% of those on ARM, how many do you think that is?

But the numbers are growing, slowly.

Last edited by cyrano; 05-01-2019 at 12:27 PM.
cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:00 PM   #9
mike@overtonedsp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
If 110% of Reaper users are running Linux...
If 110% of Reaper users were running Linux I'd be very impressed...
mike@overtonedsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:27 PM   #10
cyrano

Yeah, me too.

Typo, obviously. Corrected. Thx for pointing that out.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:29 PM   #11
Lokasenna

Since most the internet runs on Linux in some fashion, and all Android devices, it's entirely possible that 110% of Reaper users are using Linux somewhere in their gear chain. :P
Old 06-24-2019, 02:29 PM   #12
quigonkick

Things should get very interesting. The Pi 4 was just released today...

https://www.raspberrypi.org
quigonkick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:45 PM   #13
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkick View Post
Things should get very interesting. The Pi 4 was just released today...

https://www.raspberrypi.org
Way cool. $55 for the 4GB version. Could actually load some sample data into that, but are there any sampled VSTi instruments that will run on an ARM processor?
Old 06-24-2019, 09:57 PM   #14
quigonkick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Way cool. $55 for the 4GB version. Could actually load some sample data into that, but are there any sampled VSTi instruments that will run on an ARM processor?
Beats the daylights out of me. Considering what I was throwing at a computer with a quarter of this power back in 2000, I don't see why not. But then again I'm not using VSTi anything.

VERY interested in what folks here think though. Way more experience than I have with Reaper.
quigonkick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:56 AM   #15
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkick View Post
Beats the daylights out of me. Considering what I was throwing at a computer with a quarter of this power back in 2000, I don't see why not. But then again I'm not using VSTi anything.

VERY interested in what folks here think though. Way more experience than I have with Reaper.
When I started playing around with REAPER on my Raspberry Pi 3 B+ I was amazed that Pianoteq had a version for the Pi so after checking it out a bit I decided to see what other instruments I might find for the Raspberry Pi. That's when I realized the 1GB of RAM was going to be a huge showstopper for any virtual instruments.

Having 4GB opens the door for things like virtual drums, sampled instruments and other things that can't live in a 1GB world.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:18 AM   #16
snooks
Banned

The increased bandwidth for memory and USB should make it pretty snappy too.
snooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 08:41 AM   #17
mccrabney

does reaper's http control work on rpi? how about osc->midi?

i'm envisioning a couple of cool applications: one, a headless audio capture device set to record if audio is above a certain threshold, and two, sample playback via osc over WiFi.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 01:15 PM   #18
Glennbo

So I decided to plug my new Behringer UMC1820 8 input audio interface into my Raspberry Pi 3 B+ to see what would happen.

REAPER had it available in the ALSA drop down so I selected it and set it for 8 inputs and 2 outputs. Then I pulled in a bass, drums, and guitar jam thing I already had a recording of and deleted the drums. Finally I put the four drum tracks into record and got them on the appropriate channels of the audio interface and hit record. Sputter sputter choke choke . . .

So I upped the latency all the way to 1024 with three periods and tried again. This time I got about a half a minute into it before it got off track. All was going great until I heard in my phones a jump so I quit and faded out.

I'm pretty sure if I went to a 2048 sample buffer or bumped up to 4 periods, I could probably have recorded the full minute and a half of this jam test, but I'm out of time for messing with it today. Anyway, here's the very short test. Bass and guitar were recorded on the DAW and the four drum tracks were recorded as a single take on the Raspberry Pi.

https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v4/...ongID=13892200

Last edited by Glennbo; 06-28-2019 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-28-2019, 02:20 PM   #19
cyrano

The weakness of the RPi was that everything was on one USB2 connection. The USB ports and ethernet shared that bandwidth. Made it unusable for multi-channel audio, really.

The RPi 4 has a PCI connection for these. Makes for a world of difference. Also, the ram memory speed is higher and the SDI card interface has double the throughput of the old one. And there's USB3.

I'm buying a couple to test, anyways. Probably need to wait 'till august, as the 4GB version semms sold out everywhere. I'm also interested to see how AVB does on the ethernet connection.
Old 06-28-2019, 02:30 PM   #20
Glennbo

I plan to get a 4GB version when they start showing up on Amazon. I don't have any external USB drives to test with, but I wonder if one would have improved the test I did earlier. That it could even record four tracks while playing back two was fairly impressive, and with more tweaking could probably be made pretty stable with high latency. RPi4 should blow my RPi3B+ out of the water though.
Old 06-29-2019, 12:03 AM   #21
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
'm envisioning a couple of cool applications: one, a headless audio capture device set to record if audio is above a certain threshold,
Cool ! And many extended features will be able to be added by having it remote controlledn by some surface device - including some app on a phone .

Quote:
and two, sample playback via osc over WiFi.
what do you mean by "sample playback via osc" ?
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 06:01 AM   #22
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Cool ! And many extended features will be able to be added by having it remote controlledn by some surface device - including some app on a phone.
absolutely, and even talkback via reastream from another REAPER instance on the network.

Quote:
what do you mean by "sample playback via osc" ?
this idea is for my prankware/security system, so it'd be cool if i could have another machine send osc messages to this rpi, which would convert it to midi and use rs5k to trigger sound effects, etc. the rpi is going to live outside in an unfinished but powered outdoor closet that's attached to my house, equipped with a webcam, a few PIR sensors, and a usb microphone. basically, if i'm not home and someone comes to my door, any number of things could happen - porch lights turn on, a rustling sound comes out of the closet, a speaker inside the house starts playing a loud Rottweiler barking sound, or Swedish Rhapsody. i'll be notified via Join on my phone, complete with a picture of whomever is at my door, and i can respond with soundfx or soundboard insults accordingly

right now i'm using an rpi3 with node-red as my programming environment, since my python skills are limited.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 01:48 PM   #23
Yorky

Default RPi4 project

Hi all,

Not too sure if this project of mine may require its own thread but I would like to think there's legs in this for others to jump in to collaborate?

My idea is to harness to brilliant work of many on here for a live use pedal board using the Pi4 4Gb as the Reaper host. I hope the Pi4 at last gives the horsepower needed to make such a project work successfully.

My Linux and Reaper skills are not much more than beginner progressing to the next stage so that's my get out of jail for any dumb f&ck comments I make in ignorance. However, I'm keen as mustard to learn and have the aptitude to do this stuff.

I'm an experienced guitarist of many a long year and am looking to create said board for future live use either on my own or with a small number of others.

My goal is to have the [near] ultimate pedal board that has all the bells and whistles Reaper can muster to give me studio like guitar and vocals, loopers and session management with samples, drums and goat farts [if appropriate to my music]. Highly portable, highly reliable, and uses gear that most have lying around - give or take.

Initially, my board will consist of: Beh FCB1010; RPi4 4Gb and an audio interface [test rig currently is Tascam U122 & Tascam US800 - why? because that's what I have access to presently].

So as not to excite the more advanced of my progress, I'm yet to install Reaper onto the Pi. I've loaded Buster onto an SD and got the Pi up and away. I can VNC into the Pi and the response times are more than acceptable [both client and server on Wifi]. I'm currently about to install Buster onto a 60Gb SSD [and set the Pi into the OTP mode] before I load Reaper.

Assuming all goes well then I'm looking to start the live config stuff that Michael and Pipe and others have diligently worked on.

If this is of interest then I'd be grateful to hear of any other like minded views, help, tips and pointers as possible. I will keep the forum aware of my progress however fast or slow. Thanks for listening.

Yorky
Yorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:36 PM   #24
mschnell

Pipelineaudio has a lot of experience with creating a Guitar pedal from an FCB 1010 and (PC-based) Reaper. He provides some videos showing his setup. He would be perfect for collaboration in this project.

He uses some JSFX plugins I made as a "glue" in his setup. (There is a long thread in the forum where we discussed about how to do this.) These supposedly will work on the Pi without any problem.

But for sound modding he uses several 3rd party plugins. No idea if such or similar are provided for ARM/Linux.

-Michael
Old 07-01-2019, 11:04 PM   #25
Yorky

Hi Michael,
Yes thanks, I read your interactions with Pipeline with much interest and it helped to give me the inspiration I needed to pursue this project. The arrival of the RPi4 flipped the switch as it were. I note Dave2099 has a thread on his implementation from a similar perspective and will be closely looking into his template etc.

On a more specific point/interest re the new Pi, some caution is required apparently. Not all software associated with Debian Buster is ready yet so the wait time may temper a fast project - gives me more time to experience templates and scripts on the Reaper side of things prolly running from my laptop.

The new Pi does not require the OTP bit set anymore it seems as this has been taken care of however, booting from the USB SSD is not ready as yet. The approach will probably be a halfway house boot from SD then load OS from SSD.

Similarly, the readiness of an RT kernel for Buster is lacking I believe - whether this is of prime importance I have yet to find out.

On the hardware associated front, I've identified a hard shell case for the FCB1010 thats fits my Yorkshire influenced budget i.e. cheap. One aspect of this project is to see if it is feasible to go completely wire-free with the pedal board; power and in/out audio.
Onwards and forwards.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:30 AM   #26
zacki

Quote:
i'm envisioning a couple of cool applications: one, a headless audio capture device set to record if audio is above a certain threshold, and two, sample playback via osc over WiFi.
Then maybe this is interesting. The Project is using a BananaPi, though.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:28 AM   #27
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorky View Post
One aspect of this project is to see if it is feasible to go completely wire-free with the pedal board; power and in/out audio. .
A friend of mine mounted a RasPi in his FCB1010 and uses the WiFi to control an XR18 via OSC. He says he could have dismounted the FCB1010 electronics to connect the RasPi Bit I/Os to the FCB1010 hardware, but he decided to just connect the RasPi internally to the FCB1010's Midi lines (sauf the opto elements): less functionality, but easier to do.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 07-02-2019 at 11:50 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:38 PM   #28
introvert

I just received a Raspberry Pi 4 4GB model and the needed accessories for it. I wanted it as a project for my 8yo son and I, and we're having fun this evening.

I got a spare memory card for it, 128GB, and I'm hoping to install Reaper on it and play. I don't know if the current builds of Reaper will run though. It's a 64-bit system, and I believe the Reaper builds are 32-bit, right?

I'm VERY new to the RPi stuff. Been using Reaper for years, but on MacOS and Windows.
introvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:16 PM   #29
bobobo

https://www.raspberrypi.org/document...s/#pi-software
bobobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:03 AM   #30
Yorky

Hi Introvert,
Reaper runs fine and dandy so far in my simple tests on a RPi4 [4Gb version]. I'm waiting, much like the rest of the world, for the firmware upgrade to enable boot from USB [SSD in my case]. I purchased the Fan Shim from Pimoroni to cool the CPU. My test rig audio i/f is a Tascam US122L which I had lying around. I've managed to find a firmware upgrade for that and hopefully, will have it up and running soon. My goal is to put together my ultimate [!] pedal board using the FCB1010. So far no major downers to report. Cheers
Old 09-03-2019, 07:18 AM   #31
ayskura

it is indeed amazing on a RPI 3 it really runs smoothly... I loaded a project I did on my main desktop converted in OGG with something like 24 audio tracks and basic plugins (Eq Compression reverb) and it was rock solid!

I am really impressed by this combination as you can integrate it inside keyboards, controllers etc... especially the RPI 3 A+! incredible. but no go for the Zero - it's hard to admit but the Zero is really on the edge of being unusable for anything else but samplerbox (which anyway makes it worth well over it's asking $5)
Old 01-11-2023, 08:42 PM   #32
ayskura

I was lucky enough to manage to get a Raspberry Pi Zero 2W before the it was impossible to find, and Reaper runs very well on it too. Unbelievable
Old 01-12-2023, 11:25 AM   #33
Urmas

Thanks for sharing the RPi info! I have 2x Raspberry Pi 4 4GB and 1x Raspberry Pi 4 8GB.
If I have one home user license I bought, can I use it in several machines, so I'll try it sometime on RPi as well!
Urmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 11:41 AM   #34
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayskura View Post
it is indeed amazing on a RPI 3 it really runs smoothly... I loaded a project I did on my main desktop converted in OGG with something like 24 audio tracks and basic plugins (Eq Compression reverb) and it was rock solid!

I am really impressed by this combination as you can integrate it inside keyboards, controllers etc... especially the RPI 3 A+! incredible. but no go for the Zero - it's hard to admit but the Zero is really on the edge of being unusable for anything else but samplerbox (which anyway makes it worth well over it's asking $5)
Although I've got a 4GB Raspberry Pi4, I recently used a couple of zip ties and strapped my Raspberry Pi3 B+ right onto the back of a small 10" HDTV.

https://sclkssl.ssl.hwcdn.net/71/img...205_815103.jpg

https://sclkssl.ssl.hwcdn.net/98/img...205_815104.jpg

I can run it all on a solar generator I built, if I want to record out in the boonies.

https://sclkssl.ssl.hwcdn.net/05/img...205_812770.jpg

The Pi4 with UMC204HD and HDTV draw only about an amp, which would run for about 24 hours on the solar setup once the Sun goes down.
Old 01-12-2023, 12:03 PM   #35
Urmas

I find answer to my question from license info, The Fine Print:
Quote:
If you own multiple computers, you may install the same license key on all of them, as long as you only use REAPER on one computer at a time.
Urmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 04:08 PM   #36
ayskura

also one thing which is awesome, if you export your settings on your Mac or PC and import them in Reaper on Raspberry PI it is fully saved, including theme, shortcuts, actions macro, and JS plugins which is incredible!

I can't say how much I'm in love with Reaper and Raspberry pi combination