Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
[...] end up starting [...]
LOL.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:25 PM   #162
captain_caveman
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmartin64 View Post
They were just once far more reliable and you could be sure of getting pretty much the same level of performance and result each time you used them. That probably wasn't true of the PC running Windows.

BUT, the Windows operating system has grown a lot, as have machine specs, so you can get great and equal results these days in Windows.

Cost wise? This isn't true anymore (unless your comparing super machines), the MAC is exceptionally affordable if you go for something like a MAC mini which starts at around £300 for a specification that easily meets the recording I do. And doesn't make a sound, which I'm grateful for.

At work, two of our developers bought MAC minis and installed Windows 7 on them because the specification was better that an equally spec'd PC.
Where can you get a new Mac Mini for £300? The cheapest new one (inc VAT) I can find is £468.
captain_caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:48 AM   #163
jaava

I moved from pc to mac about a year ago. I had a hp laptop (broke down btw. and my brother's hp laptop had overheating issue caused by idiotic fan design. HP never again.) before and reasons why i chose mac were:

1. i really prefer osx user interface to win7.
2. osx is unix so i have a real command terminal to use and the same tools that i use on my studies with linux-machines work on my laptop as well.
3. with pc i always had problems with poor quality power supply (poor SMPS on my hp caused a lot of noise on live situations) and i really didn't want to use a lot of time finding a pc with a decent pover supply. Never had those problems with my mac.
4. on my pc i always had to switch off wireless network because it caused pops and glitches with asio drivers (it was usual practice to suggest this as a solution to sound problems). Never had those problems with my mac.
5. after fighting for a millionth time with windows registry issues i swore i would never again use a microsoft product.

Windows works great on a dedicated daw machine. So if you are building a studio machine go with pc. If you however want to use your computer for everything else too mac has (or at least had 2 years ago) a lot less problems.

During the last 10 years windows has become a lot better. With xp and vista dll hell was still very common (especially with printers and some games making their own updates on system libraries). Win7 has suffered much less from dll issues. However with mac i've never suffered from any dependency issues (although i've heard there has been some in the past).

I actually have a win7 dualboot on this mbp. I need it because i have to use sonar in one project every spring. Otherwise i use it for gaming. Only one major registry issue so far.

Edit: I've very little experience with win8. Tested it in store but at least that unit had some weird problems with touch gestures not working properly. With mouse the metro ui was absolutely hideous to use. The graphics are over simplified to the level where they look god but are extremely uninformative (you cannot for exemple always tell which parts are buttons). And most of the applications would anyways throw you back to traditional desktop. I don't know how stable it is but the ui needs a lot of tweaking.

Last edited by jaava; 12-19-2012 at 04:55 AM.
jaava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:04 AM   #164
BobM

Because of sad stories like this…. http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=115056

BobM.
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:14 AM   #165
Keef Baker

Having used both I have to say the draw for OSX for me would be going back to use logic. But I'm really enjoying reaper so no....

While Apple charge £983475297230834 for their old, outdated powermacs that my gran would sniff at, I won't move to mac.

If they seriously update their powermacs and do it quick then they might be in with a chance.

Even then I can build a machine myself with twice the power at half the price and as long as you do your research with components it will be fine.

When the day comes that apple go, "fair enough, we can't charge a quadrillion quid for old kit" things might change.
Keef Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:50 PM   #166
happytechnology

Apple makes simple, durable machines that just work. The OS is very user friendly, and so is the hardware itself. Overpriced, most definitely, but they do keep their value well and will last a very long time. IMO for a laptop macs are the way to go, but when it comes to a desktop PCs undoubtedly take the cake.
happytechnology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:57 PM   #167
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
LOL.
that WAS very confusing.

how does someone who begins end up starting?

oh, how we speak vs. how we write vs. how we internet
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:41 PM   #168
Badmotor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
Because of sad stories like this…. http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=115056

BobM.
Good to see my pain can be used as a reference to others
Badmotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:26 PM   #169
BobM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmotor View Post
Good to see my pain can be used as a reference to others
It's said that "pain has no memory", but I would add, except in dealing with computers..

But happily I don't include my MacBook in the above, which has never let me down, has survived a 5 foot drop, and after over 4 years of use, is costing me pennies a day in ownership, which sounds like great value for money to me.

BobM.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:08 PM   #170
virgult

I'm curious to see your viewpoints and opinions on this...
I was a long time Linux user, then in 2009 I bought an iMac for the following reasons:
- It is (or at least it was) the only REALLY SILENT computer. No other brand has ever paid attention to noise like Apple did. Not even very high end pc manufacturers; the only option is to buy specific audio configurations, that cost more than Macs just because they are silent and audio-optimized (but Macs already are... or were). The difference is absolutely noticeable on desktops, almost embarassing on laptops.
- CoreAudio is simply the best sound server on the planet. Only on OSX you can play using Guitar Rig with no audible latency over a backing track that's playing from Youtube. No other sound server lets you do that: when you fire up ASIO/Jack, only one app at a time controls the sound card. It may sound less important, but a sum of many little things like this makes the Mac easy to use, Windows cumbersome, and Linux something in between.
- I could have all the commercial audio plugins without giving up Unix. Bash is still there, I had /dev and /etc and all the tidy Unix environment I fell in love with. And I didn't have to do some strange Wine trickery to get a VST working.

Then, Lion and Mountain lion came up, and the iMac became that sort of digital photoframe with poor ventilation that it is today... I switched to an Asus laptop with Windows 8, and in the next future I'll build an Ivy Bridge-based fanless custom build.
virgult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:13 AM   #171
airon

Do let us know how that turns out, and post in the Tips and Tricks forum mate.

We all love to hear about clever PC builds.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:59 AM   #172
BorsingPhoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
serr, many times that can be explained by the fact that a large number of beginners will end up starting on windows
Not me, I was so retarded back then, that I started with a Commodore VIC 20
Old 01-22-2013, 08:15 AM   #173
BobM

It’s all changing fast,

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/educatio...r-a-pc-company
Old 01-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #174
Bristol Posse

I was an apple guy when I had my G4, which was I think for the time the best computer available, period.

When apple dropped their PPC customers like a hot potato, I struggled on with OS9 for a while. Tried to make OSX work for a time with ever increasing need for hacks and workarounds. In the end decided to return the favor and drop apple like a hot potato and now make my own PCs (I've even built a couple of hackintoshes for other people just out of spite )

I won't do anymore business with them and will never buy another one of their increasingly dumbed down, non backward compatible products. They have an alarming propensity to just abandon their existing, loyal customer base for something new and shiny!

I also feel like the whole "Think Different" era ended a long while ago. They're a mega corporation only interested in making as much money as possible these days. So I might as well give less of my money to other mega corporations only interested in making money, to get essentially the same or a better product

Last edited by Bristol Posse; 01-22-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Bristol Posse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:23 AM   #175
spannerotoole

Default OS X underpinnings

I just taking a glance through this thread and a lot of people seem to think that Apple use Linux. Let's be clear here, Apple do not and have never used Linux, they cannot use it, as to use freely open software that you can use to do whatever you wish with your computer goes against Apple's ethos of One store to rule them all, Apple would never be able to comply with the requirements set out by the GPL agreements, and they certainly do not contribute anything new to the Linux code base, which is much better than OS X by a long stretch. I'm aware that Apple sometimes uses GPL'd software and tries to pass it off their own, <cough>Konquorer</cough> without placing their changes back upstream until they are forced to do it. For this reason a lot of Apple's users are actively partaking in patent violation. Linux users are not, and how do we know? We can see the code for the linux kernel in all its entirety, you do not have this luxury with OS X, yet OS X seems to have everything that many of the distro's have 3 months after its main release. Remember this term .Wayland. You heard it here first. Who will be the first to implement it after linux users have it and use it. Will it be Microsoft, or will it be Apple? I think we all know the answer to that.
spannerotoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:09 PM   #176
willowhaus

Nice soapbox rant.

For the record: OS X is based on BSD, not Linux. FreeBSD is like Linux, with quality control. (OK, that's just a smart-ass remark, but with some truth in it.) Apple has, in fact, contributed a lot of development of open source components; and they are not violating any licenses by using FreeBSD code.

Show me a Linux distro that you can set up a decent DAW on without a she-tonne of tweaking and then we'll talk. And for the record: yes, I have used Linux; compiled kernels & source, configured X by hand, etc...and I'm very glad that Apple has taken care of all that for me, so I can get on with recording.
willowhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:14 AM   #177
lichtkind

Default hai

cheers friendly folks, this is my first post. switched from long time dos/win to linux several years ago but have an mac to do music and text crossplatform apps. Mac is mostly cool but also not bugfree and has only creative spirit if your just a user. Curiously what brought my attention to reaper was its Perl support. As being an hardcore perl dev I appreciate that very much and hope its still in place. That doesn't mean that i will throw my stonemountain away, but I see here some features which I plan to use. Best to you all

herbert
lichtkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 09:48 PM   #178
tal4jesus

Default Why Mac?

Well, I used Windows until about 2004. Then I got a PPC tower. The biggest reason I got it? Someone gave it to me. I loved it. Everything made more sense to me. Now I have an iMac. Probably my last one, and I'm getting all the use out of it I can before it breaks. You can't even upgrade memory anymore in the new iMacs......so what is the point? I'm angry. I certainly can't afford a Mac Pro. If I was suddenly rich I would get a Mac Pro, but that's not happening.
So I guess it's back to Windows. Windows 10 is a system I actually can get along with, I guess. I will definitely use it as a machine for music and videos only. And stay off the internet. I just hate the idea of switching back though.
Frakk you Apple. You have turned into a greedy company that has ruined a lot of things in these past few years. Thanks a lot.

Last edited by tal4jesus; 05-18-2019 at 09:49 PM. Reason: forgot a sentence
tal4jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 11:01 PM   #179
serr

Heh. This thread was started in 2012 when what turned out to be the last Jobs era Macs were released.

Today, someone might ask "Why is Mac still so popular when they basically stopped being Apple-like after 2012?"

OSX is still a better experience than Windows but the post-Jobs hardware really isn't very Apple-like anymore. While their flagship machines from 2011 & 2012 are still relevant and high bang for the buck purchases. And will almost certainly outlast any of the models released later!

But Linux is Unix based...
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:02 AM   #180
cyrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelganger View Post
funny, when apple was not greedy company? their products were always very expensive.
I can remember one of the worst Macs ever. The Powerbook 5300...

Even the plastic was crappy. But way back then, Apple recognised the problem. So we were still repairing these 10 years after production had ceased, for free.

Today, Apple won't even notice, unless it gets in the papers. And even then they will do what they can to make it hard to get a free repair.

It started before 2012, tho. And has gotten worse ever since. Remember the GPU's on the 2006-2007 Macbook Pro's?

Is it because they are evil? No, it's because consumers allow it. Whenever there is action against it, Apple loses the case. But they have long ago calculated that losing a case every now and then is far cheaper than doing the right thing.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:17 AM   #181
snooks
Banned

It's a dangerous time to get involved in Appleyland since it looks like they are going with ARM in the very near future, breaking all existing software and raising other serious questions...
Quote:
“Computationally I can see a Core i3 or low-end Core i5,” says Patrick Moorhead, founder of Moor Insights & Strategy, comparing ARM’s abilities to entry-level Intel chips. “I can't imagine that by 2020 they’d have a processor anywhere near the capabilities of a Xeon or a Core i7.”
https://www.wired.co.uk/article/appl...kalamata-intel

My personal predictions remain that:

a) They are going to do it, to make a couple of hundred bucks extra profit per unit.
b) They will go many-core for marketing reasons, perhaps with one or two high clocked cores, also for marketing reasons.
snooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:15 AM   #182
mrelwood

Quote:
funny, when apple was not greedy company? their products were always very expensive.
An expensive product doesn’t make the manufacturer greedy. Besides, the pricing is constructed very differently. Add the price of a few Windows Home Professionals to any PC and suddenly most Macs aren’t very expensive. Then add the time and money required for PC TI support and maintenance and suddenly Macs are cheap. And the longer lifetime. Nobody would consider doing pro audio and semi-professional video editing on a 6-year old PC, which the MBP handles fine.

A PC was manageable when I was enthusiastic enough to learn all the optimizations and all the tricks that were required for it to even be able to do professional audio. But once I had to cut down the time used for tweaking, a Windows PC was simply not a possibility.

Unfortunately the present and the future are indeed a bit gloomy for Apples as well. Even I have no idea what my next computer will be, eventually.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:47 AM   #183
vdubreeze

Quote:
What does greed have to do with it? There isn't a correlation between a product being expensive (or even overpriced) and greed of a company.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:11 PM   #184
vdubreeze

Quote:
don't understand, what are you trying to say, isn't selling things, which do not cost their money (overpriced product) indicates greediness of a company?
I don't say, that mac is bad, no, it's great and reliable product, just too expensive, for what it gives.
They price their products for what the market will bear, taking into account the upscale market they envision their hardware to be in. The expense of a product doesn't define the greed of the company.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:58 PM   #185
mrelwood

Quote:
isn't selling things, which do not cost their money (overpriced product) indicates greediness of a company?
You have a peculiar view on how companies work. Or capitalism for that matter, on which our whole society is based on.

Every single instance that takes any part in buying or selling anything, does so either for direct profits or for a chance in future profits. I have no problem calling the whole system greedy, but to single out one succesful company as greedy makes no sense.

Since you clearly haven’t yet done so, I suggest you give a few thoughts to the following questions:
- Why would the head of Apple sales department set/let the products to be overpriced?
- Why would anyone buy their products if they were overpriced?
- How is it possible for a company to become so succesful by selling overpriced products?
- Is it possible that there is something in the equation that you don’t perhaps quite understand?
- A person can be greedy. Can a 100000 employee company be greedy?
Old 05-23-2019, 10:49 AM   #186
jamesattfield

I'm not really sure that anything productive can come out of resurrecting such an old thread especially since every argument voiced here has been done and dusted many times over however, since I have a few idle moments while I wait for my takeaway to arrive, I'll pitch in with these comments for what they are worth.

First, people who have never used an Apple computer seriously (e.g. MacBook, iMac, etc.) will never understand what we are talking about. It's like trying to explain green to someone who can't see.

Second, I have been using Windows since when it was basically a MS-DOS add-on (yes, that long) and while I have to maintain some Windows and SQL servers for professional reasons I was at last able to switch completely to iMac's and MacBook Pro for personal use a couple of years ago. Since then, I have never looked back. The sheer amount of time I have saved not fighting Windows issues and foibles and failed updates alone pays for the price differential and the superior design and build quality is a bonus. I had to install Windows 10 for a relative recently and it was a nightmare, you will not believe how much 'phoning home' that horrible OS does even after installation.

Third - when I wanted to upgrade to a late model MacBook Pro I did price compare some Dell, Alienware and HP products. Guess what? If you spec them up and really compare like for like the price differential is not as much as some in this topic would have you believe. Compare a MacBook to a cheap and cheerful entry-level clearance model and guess what you will get?

Last - computers are tools, in the most. Buy cheap tools and you know what you will get when you use them. For my money, stop whining about greedy companies, there are many other companies out there who are really greedy, there is a reason Apples command a premium and that does not make them greedy, there is nothing wrong with being commercially astute. We need them to survive to provide choice.

So, just because you got bit by a Mac 10 years ago or don't like that you can't buy a Mac for $250 that is no reason to fan the flames of this sorry flamefest!
jamesattfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 02:49 AM   #187
drummerboy

I went the middle way and built a Hackintosh.
Watercooled i8700K overclocked to 5gHz, 64GB Ram and 2 NVMe drives for about $1700 total.

Geekbench is around 31‘000 total and 6‘200 single core.
I don‘t even want to know how much a similar spec‘d machine would cost from apple.
Setting up was a breeze and I‘m not that much of a geek.

I switched to mac/OSX around 2010 and never looked back.
drummerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:27 AM   #188
vdubreeze

Quote:

I'm simple man, i see 1 computer, which does 1 thing and have 1 price
and i see other computer, which has the same specs, which can do the same thing,
but costs less - for me, who counts every single penny, answer is obvious.
And i don't care, how they position their products, their brand and all their marketing bullshit,
to me matters only ratio : (hardware+software possibilities) divided by money amount.
Then you buy the computer which costs less that you feel is a better purchase. And that's really the end of the story.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:25 AM   #189
robgb

I'm sure this has been mentioned, but when the designer and builder of the operating system also designs and builds the hardware, there's a pretty good chance they will work together seamlessly.

Macs aren't perfect, and they're more expensive, but after a couple decades using Windows PCs, I don't for a moment regret the switch to Mac a few years back. I've also noticed that these expensive Macs last a LOT longer than cheap PCs. In my experience, at least.

And core audio just works. Out of the box. Never a single problem. Ever.
robgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:11 PM   #190
krahosk

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgb View Post
I'm sure this has been mentioned, but when the designer and builder of the operating system also designs and builds the hardware, there's a pretty good chance they will work together seamlessly.

Macs aren't perfect, and they're more expensive, but after a couple decades using Windows PCs, I don't for a moment regret the switch to Mac a few years back. I've also noticed that these expensive Macs last a LOT longer than cheap PCs. In my experience, at least.

And core audio just works. Out of the box. Never a single problem. Ever.
Pretty much the same price for the same specs, PCs vs Macs.
Of course cheap PCs don't last as long a expensive Macs.
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:24 AM   #191
Vasily

Quote:
so i wonder, who is the manufacturer of parts (processor, graphics card) inside your imac?
processor is Intel, surprise.
in recent non-pro Retina iMacs Radeon Pro 555X/560X is used, as noted on Apple's website.
Apple internal SSDs are really good, no clue who makes them.

Quote:
What Apple has to offer similar to this? Maybe i don't understand something, i would like to look.
uhm, going modular with Apple is hard. by modular I mean having a case that you can use to store 2 HDDs and one SSD. this is not typical for modern macs (in older that costed more money). Apple folks will tell you to go with external drives in this case.

if you actually can go with external HDD drives, current non-pro iMacs go up to i9-9900K. if not, you're probably out of current Apple territory.

P.S. non-Retina is dead on Macs since 10.14.
if you're sure that you want a non-Retina Mac, forget about Macs (although, they do still sell some, but avoid them).
Vasily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:35 AM   #192
Vasily

Quote:
@Vasily
Some folks say, that i don't understand the equation, so i'm trying , ah, i guess mac is just not for me, this is really end of the story
that's totally fair, everyone has his biases and likings. and the grass is always greener on the other side.

as a guy running only Macs for a while and wanting to upgrade -- well, I would like to consider some PC alternatives. but I have very limited choice, as I got stuck with Thunderbolt audio interfaces, so I'll probably buy another Mac.

OS X has been a heaven for audio production once, but it's got more and more problems nowadays. new bloated operating systems, broken AU subsystem for last two years, weird hardware solutions (like USB-C is all you need and you need a touchbar).

I'm with Macs since Macintosh Classic, with Windows since 3.1, with Linux since kernel 2.0. if someone asks me: what's the perfect OS for audio production now, I'll answer "they all suck and I hope that someday something better will arise". until that happens, well, we all can use the things we like the most. I know that even in 2019 some guys prefer to use a hardware multi-track recorder, how do you like it, Elon Musk?

I'd say that now it isn't a proper time to switch to Mac. if you're already stuck with it -- go on and hope they evolve in right direction, not just filming ads about 'musicians use Mac' (they used to, but it's been more frustrating lately). if not -- just get a new PC, many modern software thinks of Windows as first-class citizen and Mac as a second, like abovementioned Retina displays. Cubase started to support them in v10, Reaper probably will as for v6, but it's been a long path since 2012 when those displays were introduced.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:47 AM   #193
Skorobagatko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
as a guy running only Macs for a while and wanting to upgrade -- well, I would like to consider some PC alternatives. but I have very limited choice, as I got stuck with Thunderbolt audio interfaces, so I'll probably buy another Mac.
Why you would have to buy another Mac because of the thunderbolt interface when you can use Thunderbolt PCI card with your PC? That's what I did after switch from Mac to PC (Asus Thunderbolt EX3 PCI card + UAD Apollo Twin MKII).
Skorobagatko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:16 PM   #194
Vasily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorobagatko View Post
when you can use Thunderbolt PCI card with your PC?
I said "I have limited choice", not "I have no choice".
I could have a NUC and a monitor. or a HP ZBook 15, under 3 kg.

I used to build computers for myself in late 90s and stopped before 2010. yeah, I also have a 19" rack at home, but don't want to put computers in it, only studio equipment. I'd rather get an iMac of all these options.

I don't really have a PC (only a ThinkPad), but wake me up when PC world feels better about DPC latency and Thunderbolt, I'm afraid that I personally stay at Appleland with my DAW yet.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:03 PM   #195
Vasily

Слава Україні!
Old 06-05-2019, 03:58 PM   #196
serr

I must admit a little surprise at the new Mac Pro announcement.
Appears to be a real computer with actual M.2 SSD slots (2x), pci slots (8x), ram slots (12x - total 1.5TB), and ports (thunderbolt 3, USB-A, USB-C).

Right away though...
This T2 chip business. It sounds like the M.2 SSDs for example are going to be proprietary and NOT standard M.2! Everything will be geared towards preventing 3rd party repair. The marketing brochure calls this security. So... a weird machine both aimed at raw 4k & 8k video editing and CIA agent work simultaneously. Or something. Preventing 3rd party repair basically.

Heh. Cue conspiracy theory about the CIA editing fake news video in real time!

Don't know how the price will line up with whatever custom build you could put together and go Linux/Hackentosh with. But I have a guess...

At least on the surface this looks like the first pro computer configuration out of Apple since 2012 so that's something anyway.

Apparently that stand video is real? I thought it was some Onion-like business. Wow...
That's not a good look.

Last edited by serr; 06-05-2019 at 05:17 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:26 AM   #197
cyrano

The M2 IS security.

Compare it to what the TPM tried to do many years ago. An sich, it's certainly not a bad idea. It won't be long before thieves know that stealing a Mac is useless, as you can't resell them. Not even for parts, as Apple also has identifiable screens on MB Pro's these days.

The M2 and everything that surrounds it, also throws up a barrier for 3rd party repair and Hackintosh. You won't be able to run 10.15 on a Hackintosh. And pretty soon, you won't be able to use an existing Hackintosh with Apple's stores. The same will apply to upgrades...

It's not only Apple who's moving to "always connected". MS is considering forced background updates, I've been told. The same avenue. And some linux distro's do collect data too.

That leaves only BSD, I'm afraid.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:44 PM   #198
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
I must admit a little surprise at the new Mac Pro announcement.
Appears to be a real computer with actual M.2 SSD slots (2x), pci slots (8x), ram slots (12x - total 1.5TB), and ports (thunderbolt 3, USB-A, USB-C).

Right away though...
This T2 chip business. It sounds like the M.2 SSDs for example are going to be proprietary and NOT standard M.2! Everything will be geared towards preventing 3rd party repair. The marketing brochure calls this security. So... a weird machine both aimed at raw 4k & 8k video editing and CIA agent work simultaneously. Or something. Preventing 3rd party repair basically.

Heh. Cue conspiracy theory about the CIA editing fake news video in real time!

Don't know how the price will line up with whatever custom build you could put together and go Linux/Hackentosh with. But I have a guess...

At least on the surface this looks like the first pro computer configuration out of Apple since 2012 so that's something anyway.

Apparently that stand video is real? I thought it was some Onion-like business. Wow...
That's not a good look.
What's especially ironic is that Apple is trying to service the upper pro purchaser, which they don't have the same grip on anymore, as FCPX isn't the players used to be. Obviously, it still gets used, but if you're doing high end video work it's not as if you need to use a Mac, and that you need to buy a better Mac. I know a slew of news and airing episodic TV editors and these days none are using FCPX or Macs. The only people buying these will be people who need it to be a Mac, which ain't in 2019 what it was in 2004. And despite their extremely successful infiltration of Universities' arts departments in the late '90s, Apple's paid as much attention to them in the decades that followed as they did the non-educational arts pro and semi pro user, and that dominance simply doesn't exist there either anymore, and they can go in any direction they want without losing students.

It will make the corporate employee very happy when their company buys one or two, and the editor who is so busy it will pay for itself. And if $18,000 give or take a few grand, will pay for itself in short order in an audio room who runs OS X programs, then it's good for them. But anyone hoping for a rock solid $4,000 box (at the bottom of its line) that will kick their DAW work up a few notches was left out of this one.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:18 AM   #199
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post
What's especially ironic is that Apple is trying to service the upper pro purchaser, which they don't have the same grip on anymore...
Not refreshing your pro line of machines for 7 years will do that!

People get nervous. Linux starts looking interesting.

Did that $18,000 come from Apple somewhere or is that a quip? If that's real, this reads more like an official farewell as a computer marker. In just a foot shooting off kind of embarrassing way too!

Well, we'll have to see. It's at least positive to see a sign that Apple might make a comeback if this turns out to be serious.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:07 AM   #200
cyrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Right away though...
There are three sides to the M2.

One is positive. Apple controls booting and disk encryption in the T2. It means that if the machine gets stolen, the thief can't get to your data and he can't wipe the disk and install another OS. Whatever OS, on whatever disk. Renders the machine completely useless.

The other one is negative. If the machine dies, chances of data recovery are next to nihil. Third party repair is impossible atm. Let's wait and see what the courts in Norway decide, for a start.

And the third one is neutral, to me. Apple is a bank. The T2 will also secure money transfers and logon. That's mostly a good thing, even if Apple has Goldman-Sachs as a partner.

EDIT. I think the M2 SSD's are standard. You can replace them, provided you can get them. But you'd still need to tell the T2 about them. And that's one thing we don't know, yet.

Last edited by cyrano; 06-07-2019 at 10:13 AM.
cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote