Old 04-19-2011, 10:35 PM   #1
loungelizard
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI Color Map Explanation

Can anyone tell me what the thin gradients on left/right side of the MIDI color map image are used for?
loungelizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:47 AM   #2
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Old 04-20-2011, 03:14 AM   #3
loungelizard

Thanks for the image White Tie! But where in Reaper can you set the MIDI Editor to Color: Channel or Color: Pitch?

EDIT: Nevermind! Found it in the Actions window.

Last edited by loungelizard; 04-20-2011 at 03:22 AM.
loungelizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 09:40 AM   #4
witti

Recently found out that the first vertical pixel row (see picture) colors the cc events.
As reaper doesn't write zero velocity values in the velocity lane, it's save to use for coloring the cc events.

Attached Images
File Type: png color_map.png (6.1 KB, 9214 views)
witti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 09:49 AM   #5
DarkStar

^^^^
I did wonder where the CC colour came from (but that is only when "velocity" is selected for the Colour mode in the MIDI Editor)
Old 10-11-2014, 09:56 AM   #6
witti

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
^^^^
I did wonder where the CC colour came from (but that is only when "velocity" is selected for the Colour mode in the MIDI Editor)
Man, haven't tested that yet...
witti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:45 PM   #7
hopi

nice find witti!
Old 02-10-2015, 12:14 PM   #8
Tod

Is there a default color map and if so where can I get it?

It would help to have some basic images to go by.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:25 AM   #9
DarkStar

^^^^
In the default theme file?
Old 02-11-2015, 10:21 AM   #10
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
^^^^
In the default theme file?
Thanks DS, but how do I get to it? I did try to open the ReaperThemeZip but couldn't find anything to open it. I also tried the "Find image" in the "Theme element finder" and found it, but that didn't do any good.

I did create a midi note colormap yesterday by altering some of the colormaps I found in the forum, but I don't like the velocity colors, I'd like to have the default velocity colors.

EDIT: Okay I managed to get it, opened it with 7zip.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:08 AM   #11
juliansader

I am curious to know how the border color of notes are determined, if color by track is selected. It seems that the colors of the MIDI colormap's channel section are used, but which channel? In my current project, for example, Track 1 uses channel 15's color, and Track 2 uses channel 7's.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:37 AM   #12
Pet

I found a thread here: Hi-functionality midi colormap, check it out where at post # 12 forum member zappadave offers s.th. like a "color map template". Together with White Tie's explanation a huge help.
Maybe this is of some interest for anyone.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:16 PM   #13
juliansader

Do any of the expert themers here perhaps have an answer to my question above?

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
I am curious to know how the border color of notes are determined, if color by track is selected. It seems that the colors of the MIDI colormap's channel section are used, but which channel? In my current project, for example, Track 1 uses channel 15's color, and Track 2 uses channel 7's.
Another titbit of information that I found surprising, is that the MIDI color map does not influence the default color of muted notes when
* 'Color notes/CC by track custom color' or 'Color notes/CC by media item custom color' is selected in the MIDI editor, and
* the track or item has been given a custom color.
Instead, the muted notes use the colors defined in the Theme development/tweaker window.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:58 PM   #14
Commala

Quote:

I was just having a look into this:

When you create a midi item with no assigned colour, they will be automatically assigned a colour from the channel section of the midi note colour map. You can see this by looking at that item's colour swatch in the midi editor tracklist.

So what is happening is that when the midi editor is set to colour notes by track, the outlines of selected notes are using this randomly assigned colour. What's weird is that if you explicitly colour an item, you'll see that reflected in the tracklist, but the note outline colour will remain the randomly assigned colour.

If the track has not been coloured, the entire note will appear this random channel colour, not just the outline.

On a somewhat related note:

I'd love to see the whole 'colour by track' option get an overhaul. It's graphically very inconsistent, but it makes sense why. If you think about it, Reaper depends on the midi note colour map to render the notes. There is (currently) no mechanism to take an external rgb value and render notes to appear as if the map contained another column based on that colour. Remember, each column in the map could be composed of any number of separate colours, gradients, etc. How/where do you apply an external rgb value to an existing column to get a visually consistent output?

Possibly, a "key" column could be added to the map specifically for this function. It would likely give most predictable results if the themer made that column a desaturated and value balanced replica of the other columns in the map. Then, Reaper could colourize that column according to the custom colour input, and thereby achieve (greater) consistency across all note-colour modes. Although I find that hue-shifting gives better results than colourization, that might be much more complicated to implement than this already sounds.

Quote:
Another titbit of information that I found surprising, is that the MIDI color map does not influence the default color of muted notes when
* 'Color notes/CC by track custom color' or 'Color notes/CC by media item custom color' is selected in the MIDI editor, and
* the track or item has been given a custom color.
Instead, the muted notes use the colors defined in the Theme development/tweaker window.
Thanks for this, one of those things I keep meaning to remember :P
Will have to update the old theme mod, I remember someone mentioning muted notes didn't look right, now I know why.
Commala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:27 AM   #15
hopi

yeah... krap... this whole thing is a mess, especially in light of the upcomming versions [I can't talk about it here] that use points for velo and cc lanes

IMO those are good changes ahead but at the same time, they can be more difficult to see...

I've messed around with midi color map png with only limited joy because what I want seems to be impossible to define...
What I want is for the cc lanes to always be of only two colors, for selected I want white for unselected I want a medium gray... REGARDLESS of the view set for pitch, channel, velocity, etc.
At the same time I do want the notes themselves to color for pitch, for velocity, for channel, etc.
...and for the velocity lane to color to match the notes...
Old 12-07-2019, 06:45 PM   #16
Kochab

Once you've created the color map, how do you actually use it?
Kochab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 11:47 AM   #17
Buy One

To apply a note colormap: Preferences -> Editing behavior -> MIDI Editor -> Default note color map

or it can be included directly in the theme archive as midi_note_colormap.png and then the above setting should not be used

White Tie's Photoshop template for midi note colormap in Hopi's Stash

Last edited by Buy One; 04-12-2023 at 11:47 PM.
Buy One is offline   Reply With Quote